advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

You are correct no doubt in your observations of football clubs are currently run but doesn’t have to be this way. Government could legislate to change the status quo in favour of fans to something akin if their was sufficient public support and political will.

Sadly given the current money pot situation of the Premier League the boat to legislate for fans to have ownership of clubs has long since sailed . The cost of giving back money invested including loans and debt for most of the larger PL clubs is way more than any Government would be prepared to do . The cost for any Fan Group to buy a major PL club is also unless they can split the ownership over hundreds of thousands of fans is also just too high . Once this jack in the box was let out it became very quickly too big to be ever returned to the box .

If Americans are involved there will money to be made, Glazers & Fenway group will be doing OK. Premiere league is ripe for profiteering, loads of TV money, high attendances & almost a closed shop. If enough money is spent teams just don’t get relegated.

The Glazers are certainly making money, taking big dividends on not particularly good financial results.

Cheers BB

The Glazers are certainly making money, taking big dividends on not particularly good financial results.

Cheers BB

They do it by loading it with debt and paying themselves dividends as they extract any value. It's not exactly sophisticated and should be easy to avoid happening, but there is little appetite in the UK for preventing that sort of thing. If there was any scrutiny of shady foreign investors, London wouldn't be awash with empty high value property.

Well there is £85m well spent. Arf. Eaagles.

At least quote the correct figures and not the inflated ones used by the media this is £64 mill we have allegedly wasted , as an aside only £47 mill went to Benfica rest was agents and the other hangers on . If we do end up paying the headlined £85 mill I will be ecstatic as this means we have won the Pl twice and the CL once plus a single domestic cup .

For me the jury is very much out on Nunez but as usual when Liverpool buy a player he has to be the best ever signing.:)
At Fulhan he scored a jammy goal with the aid of a deflection off the defender and his assist for the 2nd goal was basically him mis controlling the football into the path of a teammate.
He fluffed his lines last night when presented with an easy chance and ultimately cost his side 2 points with an act of petulance.
The 3 match ban (or possibly longer) will probably do him good.

For me the jury is very much out on Nunez but as usual when Liverpool buy a player he has to be the best ever signing.:)
At Fulhan he scored a jammy goal with the aid of a deflection off the defender and his assist for the 2nd goal was basically him mis controlling the football into the path of a teammate.
He fluffed his lines last night when presented with an easy chance and ultimately cost his side 2 points with an act of petulance.
The 3 match ban (or possibly longer) will probably do him good.
Ooh you actually sound a bit envious, he'll come good, he's only been in the squad/ league for a few weeks, he took a lot of stick before that incident but he needs to get used to that sort of winding up, that other best ever signing scored a fantastic goal and played his heart out all over the pitch.

City have now completed the signing of Sergio Gomez, from Anderlecht, for 11m. He looks a very tidy prospect and represented Spain at all youth levels, winning the Silver Ball as the second best player in the U17 World Cup, behind England's Phil Foden. He is now a left back, having also played on the right and in attacking midfield during his career to date.

by all accounts Ndombele was pretty successful in midfield at Lyon - prospect was exciting when coming to London........

Chelsea have a history under the previous owner of signing players that the managers do not want and then show surprise when they do not work . Lukaku is a good example I suspect it was not Tuchels first choice will be interesting to see if he gets his scoring and game back at Inter.

Liverpool also have a varied and poor record in signing dud strikers as evidenced by Andy Carroll and others . However it has been evident under Klopp and the recruitment team currently that they do not get too many things wrong . Nunez has made an error and will now get targeted for petty abuse and fouls to get a reaction ,Mane often got the same Nunez just has to be coached and taught to get over it and keep playing . He will we the example of the rest of the team and hopefully he can adjust if not then he will indeed be a flop. I have seen enough of him both live and on tv to be sure there is a very good player in there and Klopp has good form on improving players . So while the knee jerkers say he is a flop for me it is too early he has made it more difficult for both himself and his team that is certain but I am very sure that Klopp and his team know much better than me.

advertisement

Back