advertisement

Luxury watch prices halve........

Their new GMT divers are great… and only about £350!

What a ridiculous complication for a “divers” watch! What kind of diver is thinking about another time zone while under water? A divers watch shouldn’t even have a date IMNSHO.

What a ridiculous complication for a “divers” watch! What kind of diver is thinking about another time zone while under water? A divers watch shouldn’t even have a date IMNSHO.
My Omega Seamaster GMT, which I've owned for almost 20 years, is a great example. I bought it during a time in my career when I was travelling internationally quite frequently, and I also enjoy swimming without fearing water damage to my watch.

I agree on both Citizen and Seiko, when on holiday in Colombia I gifted my 2012 Seiko 200m diver to my teenage nephew there, I’ve had a lot of enjoyment from that watch I recall paying circa £200 for and similar money again last year when I had it serviced and refurbed. Beautifully accurate at about +1s per week without any claim or price premium a high accuracy quartz attracts, solar, day-date. Why did I let it go, just kindness really and I’ve had my fun, the only thing I was always Luke-warm about was the scalloped loose-feeling bezel. To replace it with equivalent now though in a style I prefer is probably double or more. Citizen are one I keep an eye out for and I may succumb to a quartz solar at some point if one takes my fancy.

These days I stick to my Mido 600m ocean diver and Christopher Ward C9 with its SH21 movement. But I don’t really care about watches as I once did and don’t miss the Rolex I sold a few years ago, I wouldn’t want one now. Contrast that with a mate that seems to keep adding another Tag or Omega to his collection but can never really tell me why.

Watches are fascinating and I do wonder how many people would continue to hold them say if the values halved. How confident would they then be and would they be getting the same 'enjoyment' wearing them?

I know with antiques and antique furniture certain types have their 'era' and then prices fade. I don't see watches as being any different.

Their new GMT divers are great… and only about £350!
In which a tired, lazy Seiko tarts up a pedestrian movement for a former dive models case. Said rated dive model (SKX007) was a stupidly affordable legend & the subject of many a cosmetic mod by enthusiasts.

See what I mean?

I agree on both Citizen and Seiko, when on holiday in Colombia I gifted my 2012 Seiko 200m diver to my teenage nephew there, I’ve had a lot of enjoyment from that watch I recall paying circa £200 for and similar money again last year when I had it serviced and refurbed. Beautifully accurate at about +1s per week without any claim or price premium a high accuracy quartz attracts, solar, day-date. Why did I let it go, just kindness really and I’ve had my fun, the only thing I was always Luke-warm about was the scalloped loose-feeling bezel. To replace it with equivalent now though in a style I prefer is probably double or more. Citizen are one I keep an eye out for and I may succumb to a quartz solar at some point if one takes my fancy.

These days I stick to my Mido 600m ocean diver and Christopher Ward C9 with its SH21 movement. But I don’t really care about watches as I once did and don’t miss the Rolex I sold a few years ago, I wouldn’t want one now. Contrast that with a mate that seems to keep adding another Tag or Omega to his collection but can never really tell me why.
My memory could be wrong but I think I’ve seen that Seiko model you mention (lovely dials!) remade recently with a more conventional bezel. And probably for sale at two or three times the price.

In which a tired, lazy Seiko tarts up a pedestrian movement for a former dive models case. Said rated dive model (SKX007) was a stupidly affordable legend & the subject of many a cosmetic mod by enthusiasts.

See what I mean?

Yea of course, the SK007/009s are fantastic but I wouldn’t be so critical of a business that has to move with the times. Shrinking market, trying to capture a younger demographic… It reminds me a little of the hi-fi market actually..!

......as wealthy Chinese sell collections to stay afloat.

According to today's FT Weekend, Watcheco, an industry portal for used luxury watches, said the prices of second hand Rolex Submariners - a model coveted by connoisseurs and collectors - had fallen 46 per cent since March.

One dealer in Nanjing is reported to have bought six Patek Philips and 29 Rolex Submariners from distressed owners in July alone.

Hermes handbags are well down too apparently.

Is this influencing UK/European prices, I wonder, and how will it impact the cost of living crisis?
Mike, I know what you’re up to. You’re talking up a bear market in luxury watches in order to cause panic sales and you then nip in with low ball offers. Can you hurry up? I’m hoping to nip in myself with some offers by PM before you close any deals.

Yea of course, the SK007/009s are fantastic but I wouldn’t be so critical of a business that has to move with the times. Shrinking market, trying to capture a younger demographic… It reminds me a little of the hi-fi market actually..!
A lot of younger people don't wear a watch - obsolete with smartphones

Technically they're obsolete, but if you make a habit of doing things that would rapidly lead to the death of a smartphone - and indeed most watches! - then a G-Shock remains very handy.

I suppose I'm still interested - I'll sometimes stop and look in a jeweller's window, and very occasionally look in on the TZ-UK forum if I'm bored at work, but I no longer feel compelled to buy watches. I'm interested to see new products and I still take a passing interest in military watches, but the desire to own them has gone. I'd probably buy a CWC G10 and/or the RN diver, but the prices are stupid for what they are and I'd probably just wear a G-Shock 5600 anyway!

Indeed! Hence Seiko’s marketing strategy - a Seiko 5 for all occasions and attitudes! (alienating the likes of Durmbo) (Younger people also tend to wear smart watches)

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/products/5sports

Many moons ago, I bought my brother a Seiko 5 field style watch and he still wears it to this day.

(I’m quite a fan of the G-shocks too)

(battery on my Apple Watch isn’t lasting as long as it used to - I probably won’t buy another)

Many moons ago, I bought my brother a Seiko 5 field style watch and he still wears it to this day.

I had one of those too, a long time ago. I think the ex Mrs Dr Carnes bought it for me. The hands fell off after a few months!

I've got a Certina dive watch that I never wear, I just stick to my Casio 5600 now. I actually tried to kill one once and failed!

Indeed! Hence Seiko’s marketing strategy - a Seiko 5 for all occasions and attitudes! (alienating the likes of Durmbo) (Younger people also tend to wear smart watches)

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/products/5sports

(battery on my Apple Watch isn’t lasting as long as it used to - I probably won’t buy another)
There's an 8 year old SNK805 on my wrist now, it gets worn most days, probably 300 days a year, and it still keeps time and looks good despite the inevitable scratches and wear. It gets its share of abuse too.

There's an 8 year old SNK805 on my wrist now, it gets worn most days, probably 300 days a year, and it still keeps time and looks good despite the inevitable scratches and wear. It gets its share of abuse too.

That’s the watch I bought for my brother (in green).

From Samuel Pepys Diary the precursor to the teenager with a smart phone...

Saturday 13 May 1665

"But, Lord! to see how much of my old folly and childishnesse hangs upon me still that I cannot forbear carrying my watch in my hand in the coach all this afternoon, and seeing what o’clock it is one hundred times; and am apt to think with myself, how could I be so long without one; though I remember since, I had one, and found it a trouble, and resolved to carry one no more about me while I lived."

Perhaps the mods could merge this and the watch thread together...

My memory could be wrong but I think I’ve seen that Seiko model you mention (lovely dials!) remade recently with a more conventional bezel. And probably for sale at two or three times the price.
a quick search found it, SNE107 model. I haven’t found the modern equivalent with less-marmite dial when I have browsed.

advertisement

Back