advertisement

Older style pot source?

bugbear

pfm Member
The volume pot on the guitar amp is broken. I need a replacement. It's just a 4.7K log/audio pot, but I'm sure a 5K would be fine (esp most of the pots I can find are only accuracy rated at 20%)...

But the fitted pot is a little larger than most modern ones - the shaft axis is 15mm above the PCB, whereas all the ones I can find (and I've looked fairly hard) have the shaft 12.5mm above the PCB.

The pin spacing seems unchanged at 5mm (3 pins, so 10mm in all).

Am I failing to find the higher/bigger pots, or are they all gone?

Is there a trick to allow mounting the smaller type a little higher?

Googling the specific amp may well help as chances are someone else has had the same issue.

Googling the specific amp may well help as chances are someone else has had the same issue.
It's quite rare (not as in desirable-rare, just as in "they weren't that popular, and it wasn't that big a company-rare".

I think it's as simple as "older pots were bigger".

I'm going to take the PCB off the front panel, and see if there's mechnical scope for fixing a new pot onto the front panel, and then run fly-wires back to the PCB.

(i.e. NOT solder it direct to the PCB)

I emailed:

Bad news: they don't stock that pot as standard
Good news: they can make me one
Bad news: it will cost more than off the shelf
Good news: (I think) It will cost £25 + P+P.

I mean, that's too much to repair a £50 guitar amp, but it's amazing they can do it so cheaply.

Now, the current pot has a built in bracket, so the pot isn't just held by the connection pins. And in my PCB, the PCB is held to the case purely by the pots being bolted on.

OMeg do make an identically sized pot without the bracket. And my PCB has 5 pots in total. If I use the non-bracket model for the volume (which is the only broken pot) the PCB will still be held by 4 bracketed pots.

I think I'll be fine. The non bracket model is available from RapidOnline for under a fiver.

#result

"darn"

The non bracket linear model is available.
The non bracket audio/log model is NOT available.

Flying leads from PCB to panel-mounted-pot it will have to be.

The volume pot on the guitar amp is broken. I need a replacement. It's just a 4.7K log/audio pot, but I'm sure a 5K would be fine (esp most of the pots I can find are only accuracy rated at 20%)...

But the fitted pot is a little larger than most modern ones - the shaft axis is 15mm above the PCB, whereas all the ones I can find (and I've looked fairly hard) have the shaft 12.5mm above the PCB.

The pin spacing seems unchanged at 5mm (3 pins, so 10mm in all).

Am I failing to find the higher/bigger pots, or are they all gone?

Is there a trick to allow mounting the smaller type a little higher?

Have a look here - Sell Musical Instruments on Reverb | Reverb There's a forum as well and a contact for the operators...:cool:

advertisement

Back