advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

The UK Govt/we have been getting that benefit one way or another. According to Wiki £330 BILLION has been paid in production tax since 1970.
It has been spent somewhere, unlike Norway which has saved it and created the worlds largest Sovereign Wealth Fund.

Well, we'd have had *all* the 'profit' if we'd done as Norway, and could have also done as we chose with the oil/gas. In part, not doubt to built up a "Wealth Fund" would could have *invested* in things that gave us added social/economic returns.

But Thatcher etc sold it all off to their mates and gave those mates tax cuts with the money.

If people can’t afford their domestic electricity bill, they sure as hell can’t afford an electric car. All this man maths you see about justifying a new £30K+ EV based on fuel savings is becoming even more ridiculous every week.

The need to shift to electric cars is because need to switch to non-fossile sources for more of the energy we use. That means things like wind, wave, tidal, etc. Even before the 'war' land-based wind had become competitive. But Tories hate windmills spoiling their view, and like the money they make from their fossil shares....

and their former leader recommended it after they sort his opinion.

Sorry, but this phrase doesn't make sense; I guess you mean Corbyn but 'after they sort his opinion' eludes me completely. What do you mean?

Because the rules for Labour are different for the rules for Conservatives and every policy must be fully costed

I should hope so for any party; at least in principle even if not realised. Costing rules are different for different political persuasions? New one on me. Anyway, it appears that his idea, good in kerb appeal but lacking in economic foresight, has not been well received by the fiscal number crunchers. Unfortunately, as Sue mentions here, everything is directed at the domestic market but the life-blood of the economy, the business side, is really facing a shake-out.

Okay, we probably don't need all those entertainment and dining venues which have proliferated these past 60-odd years but that's a lot of unemployed people. The essential firms, like garages, will simply up their prices (as is currently happening in the eating-out arena). I don't see either Labour or Conservatives falling over themselves to mitigate these small and medium sized businesses.

Net zero has been shifted to the back-burner (apologies, an accidental pun..). We should still be striving for net-zero but realise it may need to be achieved via a different balance than we were aiming for. One example is that in the short to medium term as we wean ourselves off fossil fuels, it's perfectly possible to build even coal-fired power stations to emit zero carbon into the atmosphere (ie use CCS)

CSS is a fantasy based on not understanding the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Using the current crisis to 'justify' cutting back on going green is a cover-story which the Tories hope that people lack the scientific nouse to spot as madness.

If you want a future you have to *invest in it*. Not be distracted by political excuses and cover-stories.

CSS is a fantasy based on not understanding the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Using the current crisis to 'justify' cutting back on going green is a cover-story which the Tories hope that people lack the scientific nouse to spot as madness.

If you want a future you have to *invest in it*. Not be distracted by political excuses and cover-stories.
I won’t pretend to understand the Laws of Thermodynamics. Why won’t pumping co2 into basalt with the subsequent chemical reaction which solidifies it in the rock do any good?

This stuff comes out of your old Uni :) they are involved with https://www.carbfix.com/

CSS can and does work, in the same way that emptying an Olympic pool can be done with a thimble but it’s not exactly practical
It’s true that CCS is in it’s infancy but it’s moving very quickly, a couple of countries have very big programs about to start. I’m sceptical about scavenging carbon from the atmosphere, getting it directly from a power station seems more straightforward to me. I really don’t know the geochemistry but my son does..he’s leading projects on CCS and Geo-Thermal energy. This in Norway where they are rather more forward thinking than we are in the U.K. which is how they ended up so wealthy.

Note if I had a YouTube channel I would be this bloke (northern accent, always looks like he has just been dragged through a hedge, old school left wing Labour)

Note if I had a YouTube channel I would be this bloke (northern accent, always looks like he has just been dragged through a hedge, old school left wing Labour)

Yes I like his manner very much, I watch him quite often. I love it when people say "alright" for "hello." He's partisan, it's the Labour/Tory equivalent of an Arsenal fan presenting a youtube video about Tottenham.

Sorry, but this phrase doesn't make sense; I guess you mean Corbyn but 'after they sort his opinion' eludes me completely. What do you mean?

My understanding is they asked Gordon Brown what he thought and then he wrote an op-ed in the Graun.

I mean have just not followed British politics for the last 30 years?

I think there's a language problem here. You haven't answered my first query on what 'after they sort his opinion' means as it's not English as I know it. Likewise, 'op-ed' is presumably supposed to mean sth. Furthermore, 'I mean have just not' in your last quote is also meaningless as written. Forget politics and energy solutions; without accurate and cohesive syntax how d'you expect to be understood ? I'm baffled.

I think there's a language problem here. You haven't answered my first query on what 'after they sort his opinion' means as it's not English as I know it. Likewise, 'op-ed' is presumably supposed to mean sth. Furthermore, 'I mean have just not' in your last quote is also meaningless as written. Forget politics and energy solutions; without accurate and cohesive syntax how d'you expect to be understood ? I'm baffled.
I think he meant sought not sort! Op~Ed is pure American, not normally done in the U.K.

Would you challenge a poster like this if you knew or believed they were Dyslexic, Mike?

Thank you Clive; must admit that I hadn't twigged a homophone cock-up, and maybe Matthew's an American but still.......:(
Btw I’m dyslexic so maybe it gives me an edge when interpreting what others write…

Don’t get me started on cars…break vs brake!

sort is a typo and should be sought.

Op-ed is a newspaper article that appears opposite the editorial.

'have just not' should read 'have you just not'.

Apologies I was typing on my phone.

Would you challenge a poster like this if you knew or believed they were Dyslexic, Mike?

Hardly a challenge, Sue; I simply couldn't make head nor tail of it and as he was addressing my post I queried it (and others) ; nor was it addressed. I've not come across this kind of dyslexia before (despite teaching in a school for dyslexic children a long time (too long?) ago) and if that's the reason, I apologise. It is nevertheless frustrating, not understanding a written reply, esp. from a prolific (?) poster.

I think he meant sought not sort! Op~Ed is pure American, not normally done in the U.K.

Op-ed is very common in the UK especially in political discussions. If you ever listen to newspaper reviews it gets used all the time. It's probably used on here quite commonly although PFMs limited search won't let you search for short phrases.

My post was a bit sloppy but I think the meaning was clear with a bit of thoguht.

advertisement

Back