advertisement

Jerry Sadowitz cancelled

WHAT THE F*** did he say FFS ? It's some big secret apparently.

I don't care about him getting his cock out in a theatre, I've done that myself(although I was frogmarched out and banned from watching films there).

If it's as reported, then **** him. Context? We are a going to need a shit load of context for this.

Why should comedians get a free pass for bigotry?

He said that the country is run by "women and blacks" and Sunak is a prick and also the cock thing.

Looks like poor management and exploitation may be part of the mix.

I also wonder how many 19 year olds have even heard of Jerry Sadowitz. You can see how someone working there might be unprepared for his act if they've not been sufficiently warned.

So that means they're obliged to book offensive comedians?
That means it's a public matter. The venue management appear to have the wit of a vegan restaurant booking Salt Bae.
I mostly just feel for the poor guy - imagine having JK Rowling and Toby Young rushing to your defence....
Save some pity for those invoking bogymen to justify their authoritarianism.

I also wonder how many 19 year olds have even heard of Jerry Sadowitz. You can see how someone working there might be unprepared for his act if they've not been sufficiently warned.
It all sounds a bit fishy. Like a restaurant losing business because the waiters didn’t like the menu.

It was probably a set-up, so the Nazis could have a festival of saying 'Oh look what authoritarian assholes the leftists are!'

I mostly just feel for the poor guy - imagine having JK Rowling and Toby Young rushing to your defence....

GB News too. This really sums it all up to my mind. It is a non-issue that the “anti-woke” right will weaponise sadly finding useful idiots on the left to do their work for them. It isn’t as if he even sold many tickets. Meh.

He said that the country is run by "women and blacks" and Sunak is a prick and also the cock thing.
Yeah I heard that already, I was just hoping for some big satirical reveal.

If it was nothing other than a bigoted rant, why is he any better than Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning?

He needs to come up with a better excuse than "people know what to expect" or **** him.

GB News too. This really sums it all up to my mind. It is a non-issue that the “anti-woke” right will weaponise sadly finding useful idiots on the left to do their work for them. It isn’t as if he even sold many tickets. Meh.
The authoritarianism of ownership and commercial success rearing its head here. Not sold enough? **** you you’re worthless.

There won’t be any summing up here and there really are issues at stake. Just saying “Oh it’s Nazis and idiot lefties” isn’t going to settle anything.

I think you’re intemperate about this because of your own stance with regard to moderating the forum (and also your absolutist and authoritarian approach to property rights) but the context here is very different.

Yeah I heard that already, I was just hoping for some big satirical reveal.

If it was nothing other than a bigoted rant, why is he any better than Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning?

He needs to come up with a better excuse than "people know what to expect" or **** him.

Don't think it was a bigoted rant think he was just stating facts that people don't want to face up to, Sunak won't (probably) be elected because he's brown so presumably JS was just drawing attention to that fact, I mean 200,000 middle class white punters ain't going to vote for Sunak they'd rather vote for a mad woman who's white instead.

Sadowitz’s statement is a whole lot more coherent than the venue’s.

Apparently he's a genuinely nice guy.

My only recollection of him was when he performed in Glasgow and was a bit controversial at the time think he also got banned on Channel 4 years ago.

It’s comedic in itself seeing The Daily Mail complaining about racism, homophobia and misogyny in their article about Sadowitz. Theyve been turning a profit from all three for decades now.

The amount of publicity that he's receiving now is ironic though, he'll probably go into hiding rather than take on extra shows, think he's a bit of an introvert, ironically enough .

I think you’re intemperate about this because of your own stance with regard to moderating the forum (and also your absolutist and authoritarian approach to property rights) but the context here is very different.

Yes, as someone who spent a decade or more in the arts scene and who has spent over 20 years running a social media platform, one I have tried to make it a welcoming place for minorities, I do have a perspective some casual onlookers may not. I certainly know what shit flies in if you open a door! This is also why I have said hardly anything at all about the actual Sadowitz event as I do not know what was said nor what contract was signed. You don’t either. Nothing I have said on this thread is in the slightest bit controversial.

PS If a platform is state owned and run it should IMHO a) research very carefully what it platforms in advance (i.e. they should know exactly what they booked), and b) should not platform content that is offensive or demeaning to minority groups the council has a duty of care towards. Again I don’t know what the precise case is here, I have no idea what was said, what offence was caused, but I’m certainly not prepared to dig myself into a huge hole until I do.

Sadowitz's 1987 Edinburgh Fringe show Total Abuse was filmed at the Assembly Rooms and also released in audio as the album Gobshite.[23] The album was quickly withdrawn from sale due to fears of being sued for libel by Jimmy Savile as Sadowitz references rumours of the TV personality being a paedophile. Following Savile's death in 2011, a police investigation into his alleged activities began.[24]

In 1991, Sadowitz was knocked unconscious by an audience member during a performance at the Just for Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal, where he mocked French Canadians, starting with the greeting "Hello moosefuckers! I tell you why I hate Canada, half of you speak French, and the other half let them."[26] The rarely quoted follow up line, which Sadowitz claims is what actually led to him being attacked was "Why don't you speak Indian? You might as well speak the language of the people you stole the country off of in the first place."[27]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sadowitz

Sadowitz's 1987 Edinburgh Fringe show Total Abuse was filmed at the Assembly Rooms and also released in audio as the album Gobshite.[23] The album was quickly withdrawn from sale due to fears of being sued for libel by Jimmy Savile as Sadowitz references rumours of the TV personality being a paedophile. Following Savile's death in 2011, a police investigation into his alleged activities began.[24]

In 1991, Sadowitz was knocked unconscious by an audience member during a performance at the Just for Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal, where he mocked French Canadians, starting with the greeting "Hello moosefuckers! I tell you why I hate Canada, half of you speak French, and the other half let them."[26] The rarely quoted follow up line, which Sadowitz claims is what actually led to him being attacked was "Why don't you speak Indian? You might as well speak the language of the people you stole the country off of in the first place."[27]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Sadowitz

IIRC it’s worth bearing in mind that the festival had a ‘nasty’ stage, but decided to put JS on the main stage, early on the bill.

Could be wrong, but that’s how I remember hearing about it.

Got tickets to see him in Birmingham in November, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

advertisement

Back