advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Starting to work my way through Gulda's Beethoven sonatas again (Brilliant Classics, a discount release of the 1967 Amadeo set). On about CD#2: Opus 7 and 10.

Ravel's Orchestral Works . 1 Naxos. Orchestre National de Lyon, Leonard Slatkin. Lollipops, but enjoyble and a very good recording.

Bartók - Concert for Orchestra/Romanian folk dances.

A CD produced by the National Youth Orchestra themselves (supported by Rabobank). This is from 1992, so not the same members as when I saw them play Shostakovich 4 in the new concert hall. That performance blew me away. It was Christmastime too (2017/18 maybe) and as the concert ended and the audience were getting up to leave all the members of the orchestra gathered and sang Stille Nacht in that eerie large choir way. It was rehearsed no doubt, but still a captivating sound inside the hall.

Last night, George Gershwin, An American in Paris, Porgy and Bess Suite, Gershwin in Hollywood, Cuban Overture.........Naxos, New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, with James Todd.......an entertaining evening, and a good recording. Is this "Classical Music' in the accepted sense?

Brahms Cello Sonatas, et al/Isserlis and Hough/Hyperion - pure, wonderful music making from these two artists. Simply essential, IMO.

61HNCp+aQZL._SY425_.jpg

Clement Lefebvre’s prior Evidence Classics release pairing Rameau and Couperin is very fine indeed, but it could not prepare me for this Ravel release. Lefebvre starts off with what just may be the greatest ever recording of the Sonatine. That claim factors in the likes of Casadesus and Chamayou, Perlemuter and Simon, anyone. Lefebvre’s playing sounds so refined, his touch so nuanced, that everyone else sounds a bit rough. His incredibly fine dynamic gradations, his crazy good and nuanced arpeggios, his everything bewitches. The playing casts a spell. The rest of the disc does not quite rise to that level – but only just barely. One hears the same insanely nuanced playing in various pieces in Le Tombeau de Couperin (the Forlane, say), though some may prefer more drive. Typically, I would, but not here. The Menuet Sur Le Nom de Haydn and Menuet Antique both come off as more substantive than normal, and the Valses Nobles Et Sentimentales displays his gorgeous touch and simplified complex rhythmic playing. This is a blockbuster recording, one I was not expecting. If he records the remaining Ravel works, I shall forthwith perform an A/B comp with reigning Ravel champ Chamayou to see who now rules the roost.

To say that this was a steal for Qobuz’s $1.60 asking price is an understatement. This is the type of recording for which one would be happy to pay full price.

A couple of Mahler symphonies.

First, Rattle and the LSO in the second symphony, at the Proms earlier this week. I had high expectations, and was disappointed with what I thought was quite a sloppy performance, with some of the important phrases being rushed, and with annoying ‘detail’ in unusual places. Not one to return to, unfortunately. Was anyone at the concert, and came away with a different view?

On to the seventh yesterday evening, with Petrenko and the Berlin Philharmonic. An excellent performance in my view, with a coherent structure throughout that brought all the disparate movements together compellingly. The relationship between the guitar and the orchestra in the fourth movement was particularly effective. Definitely one to listen to again and to compare against some of my reference versions.

Schubert String Quintet/Melos Quartett with Rostropovich/DG
Beethoven Piano Sonata Opus 28 “Pastoral”/Gulda/Brilliant Classics

Last edited:

advertisement

Back