advertisement

[FS] DIYAudio First Watt/Sony VFET Amplifier

brumjam

pfm Member
For sale is my Nelson Pass designed Sony VFET power amplifier. This project was a rare opportunity to purchase genuine VFET's from Nelson Pass, along with boards from the DIYaudio store The VFET's and boards were bought from the DIYAudio store in 2017. I've used a dual mono supply with Antek 18v transformers and generic Pass PSU boards, also from DIYAudio. The case has been used for a few projects and has some scratches, in particular on the top, but this can easily be replaced with a new one from Modushop. The heat sinks have also been drilled a few times to support different Nelson Pass boards, not that you can see this unless looking through the fins.

The amplifier puts out about 20 watts into 8 ohms, making it ideally suited to fairly efficient speakers, although it had no problem driving my Impulse H2's and current Kef Reference speakers (to reasonable levels)....sounded great with some Snell E's. Bias is fine on both channels and remains stable when warmed up.

I used a Modushop 4U case which weights a ton with these transformers inside, therefore this is collection only from Solihull (B90), or I can deliver within a 30 mile radius. Having never seen one for sale I am not sure how to price it, so I will start at £1,250 and see if there's any interest.

The obvious place to sell this is DIYaudio, but I will leave it here for a few days before creating an advert there.

IMG-8067.jpg

IMG-8070.jpg

IMG-8069.jpg

IMG-8068.jpg

Drool. Well, I would wouldn't I, having waited for the infamous Westlake VFET Monos for 8 years now. Good luck with the sale!

Very similar, but not identical. Tiger Toroid power transformers, rather than Antek.

advertisement

Back