advertisement

Fourth time I’ve asked you all but…

lordsummit

This is the fourth time I’ve done this, I’d hoped to be asking for support with a marathon as I’m 50, and was pondering doing London, but I injured myself last year suffering from hamstring tendinopathy and I’ve only become relatively confident in the last week or so it was possible.

I’ll put a tl/dr at the bottom, but this is my story:

Eleven years ago I was made redundant, I was actually shoved out of a job I was passionate about, good at, and spent far too long working on, because the head teacher wanted her best mate to have it. Whilst doing this job I worked with many very vulnerable children, some of whom attempted to commit suicide. Thankfully none of them succeeded, although one did life changing harm to herself, drinking bleach because of her parents attitude to her, led to a life with a feeding tube.

My next job was for me a nightmare, I’d been slowly putting on weight for years, but I was completely the wrong person, and I was bullied, gaslit, made to feel inadequate, and ended up walking round the back of the school, to avoid members of staff who made my life a misery. Sitting in the car park feeling sick before work, and pondering crashing the car into lorries on the way into work. I sought help, and exercise was the first thing my doctor suggested. I’d visited a friend and seen him doing Parkrun, my doctor was a runner, he encouraged me to try.

It took twelve months, but I did it. I also lost about four stone. Shortly after I also made the best decision for me ever which was to leave the classroom and go and work for an external agency that provides a service to schools. Life now feels normal again. I thankfully can’t remember the place I got to that well. I do know though that that doctor probably saved my life. He listened and helped me with a plan.

It’s not just about me though. No names here, but my best friends brother committed suicide, the father of one of my daughter’s best friends committed suicide, a wonderful violinist I used to play chamber music with, she committed suicide. It’s the biggest killer of men under the age of 50.

These last few years have been tough, young people are struggling having had their lives changed beyond belief by Covid. Cuts to mental health care and the NHS mean that it’s so difficult to get access to young people’s mental health services, I’m hearing of two year waits to be screened, never mind treated. We all know how the NHS is stretched.

tl/dr

Papyrus aims to help prevent suicide in young people. They will help anyone under the age of 35. They will provide ongoing support, strategies and advice and help in engaging with mental health services for anyone is having suicidal thoughts, and just as importantly for anyone worried about someone. Their Hopeline is available to anyone who needs it.

Please donate if you are able, I like to think I’m paying it on for that doctor who listened to me, and helped me. Six stone lighter and a lot healthier this is my bit.

Thanks. The link is here if anyone wants to donate:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundrais...are&utm_term=fbc550deaf3f448daa83c8334903a95c

Done, run fast Lordy!!

Well...you have been actually...keep it up!

In a field crowded with much excellence, Papyrus is a brilliant charity.

PS Thanks for the lols to whoever wrote this on the donation page -

Followed your running journey for a few years, close to my own. Run like the wind, or at least run till you break wind!

This is uncomfortably close to current reality of my exercise sessions :D

In a field crowed with much excellence, Papyrus is a brilliant charity.

PS Thanks for the lols to whoever wrote this on the donation page -

Followed your running journey for a few years, close to my own. Run like the wind, or at least run till you break wind!

This is uncomfortably close to current reality of my exercise sessions :D

Hehe!

I’ve just started Parkruns and was going to skip this morning due to the heat. Once I saw your post I felt compelled to get out there and as the ad says just do it. Really hot but got round. Brings my total to 3.

Great cause - donation made.

@cutting42 you made me cackle.

I'd just come indoors from a session in the garden before reading it. Mid rep of squats I produced a very loud magna farta.
My daughter (ever the wag) opened the front door, made much of cocking her ear, and excessively sweetly asked "Daddy, did you hear a fog horn?"

Last edited:
I’ve just started Parkruns and was going to skip this morning due to the heat. Once I saw your post I felt compelled to get out there and as the ad says just do it. Really hot but got round. Brings my total to 3.

Great cause - donation made.

Great work. Parkrun was a sticky one this morning. Took my son to Parkrace this morning, he beat me a few times when I was coming back from injury. Had a heads up Chris Hoy was going to be at Heaton Park so took him to battle Angina Hill. Pleasingly wupped him by nearly five minutes. Hopefully that’ll keep him quiet for a while :)

More seriously, thank-you to you all for your kind donations. I never expected that in these challenging times. So appreciated. I’ve not added it up yet including gift-aid, but I reckon you’ve already donated enough for more than 150 contacts with the Hopeline, this is amazing.

Thank-you, every donation helps.

advertisement

Back