advertisement

cheap 'green', summer amp suggestions

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Not green as in grass....green as in cheap (er) to run.

Love my Leben 600 but I see it as my end amp in the vinyl line. And frankly, adding heat indoors right now is?? Even in Scotland :)

For a few hundred quid, what amp has...
gentle warmish sound (to calm my Tannoys and Spotify)
Power from 35wpc up
no phono stage needed, just a couple of line ins
a remote
no heat
low electricity bills, and
a smallish size.

Old and well used are fine if it works!

Ta.

I have swapped out my Sugden A21a for my Naim Nait 5 to save on the electric, I assume I’m saving as the Nait doesn’t run hot.
Maybe an older Arcam A65 would do the job.

arcam a85 or arcam a75 will be great . cheap and cheerful . and the a85 makes a pretty good power amp too . they dont run hot. been using the a85 for somewhile on and off

550x550.jpg

I have been thinking about green footprints more of late leading me to change (temporary?) my amplifier, turn TV etc off at the mains. This must be the future, what’s in store for our Sugdens, Krells, Quads and their like.

re Arcam amps the A65/75/85 were a series. Heard a 65 and a 85 and were good at their price points, Arcam usually made a good value and sounding product though from what I recall the 85 was quite advanced with programmable volume for each input etc, so more to go wrong. If this was temporary I think the 65 would be a good bet being more basic

I have been thinking about green footprints more of late leading me to change (temporary?) my amplifier, turn TV etc off at the mains. This must be the future, what’s in store for our Sugdens, Krells, Quads and their like.

I agree. Single box solutions are so good that they really make you question the need for rack fulls of boxes consuming lots of power and space (I’m completely converted). Multi box, energy hungry systems will become even more niche IMHO.

advertisement

Back