advertisement

Vintage DD TTs slightly off the radar...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/31403829...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 is quite appealing. But still has the strobe and platter markings. And some automation.

If you knew where to source an SME style arm then https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12544922...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1 looks a deal.

And Technics means a chance of manuals, service manuals and enthusiasts making parts.

I'm sceptical of idlers after the time when we could share clips, and from the turntable rotation analysis era. YMMV.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If you like the SL-1200 then there are a couple of other Technics well worth looking out for that eclipse the 1200 but may not cost that much more; the SL-150 Mk2 and the SL-1700/1800 Mk2. Some may ask why no SL-1300/1400/1500 Mk2? Well, it has a particular design flaw to the tonearm lift that afflicts pretty much all of them by now and there's no easy or effective long-term fix for it (myriad bodges though, most unsuccessful).

The ~SL-150 Mk2, while looking similar to it's "armed" brothers, is rather different, with a wooden base, extra feet, and the ability to take whatever tonearm you choose to mount (they came with a drilled arm board - usually SME - and one blank). We used a pair of them (with Piezo arms) at my college radio station and they looked fab, were pretty much indestructible, and sounded great too. It's a cracking deck and good step or two up from the SL-1200 in performance and all-round desirability. They do command a fair premium over the 1200 and good ones are a rare find.

The SL-1700/1800 Mk2 is like a sleeker, smoother, more honed version of the SL-1200. What's best about though is that it sounds much better - probably because it loses the rubberised base that kills the performance of the SL-1200. These can sometimes be found for similar money to a 1200, so if you see one, get it!

I have an SL-150 MkII and regard it as better than a 1200. Vastly better styling for a start! Really heavy.

Paul, if I didn't have the 1200 (and all it's mods) I'd snap that 1700 up straight away, but since I do, I suspect it could be effort for little or no reward. If I had a workshop and could use a soldering iron I'd also get it. I must learn how to solder and stuff!

I use one in the living room system because it's very family friendly. Sounds great. Only drawback is it will only take p mount cartridges, which nowadays limits your choice quite a bit.

I've got one in the bottom of the wardrobe as an emergency spare! They do sound very good but, stupid as this sounds, I find it a bit disconcerting not being able to place the needle on the record myself. Daft I know. Incidentally the full width linear trackers can sometimes be found quite cheaply (I bought one for a friends system at an Audiojumble for £30!) and many are of similar spec.

The AT P mount seems the best of what's available new. What do you have on yours Ian? My research tells me the SL-7 is probably the one to go for. The problem is I need an upgrade not a collection :)

For under the radar look at Yamaha turntables, the YP D8 YP D9 and 10. They are Direct drive, using JVC motor and Micro Seiki arm. They farmed out and did a good job.

For under the radar look at Yamaha turntables, the YP D8 YP D9 and 10. They are Direct drive, using JVC motor and Micro Seiki arm. They farmed out and did a good job.

How do these compare with a GT-2000? I kind of hankered after one simply because of the name - Gigantic & Tremendous! Never seem to see them in the UK though...

a.jpg

How do these compare with a GT-2000? I kind of hankered after one simply because of the name - Gigantic & Tremendous! Never seem to see them in the UK though...

a.jpg
Sadly they don't really compare at all but not much does........
The Pioneer PL600X is worth keeping an eye out for - good suspension and a nice arm.

I'm using a Sansui XR-Q7 DD table, fully automatic. It's really quite a lovely thing.

The AT P mount seems the best of what's available new. What do you have on yours Ian? My research tells me the SL-7 is probably the one to go for. The problem is I need an upgrade not a collection :)

Mine's the AT. Not the über cheap one, the decent one. Technics did make an MC cartridge for it which is by all accounts really good, but it's very hard to find now, even in Japan

advertisement

Back