advertisement

Anyone own a Fiesta ST-3?

My insurance is £180 per year, 52yo, full ncd , no recent convictions (they didn’t ask about awareness courses, soooo…) parked overnight on a suburban driveway and 6000 miles PA.

that’s remarkable. I just went from 90bhp to 190 and there was no surcharge. Neither were cars that get the pulse racing, but, even so, bit of a surprise.

that’s remarkable. I just went from 90bhp to 190 and there was no surcharge. Neither were cars that get the pulse racing, but, even so, bit of a surprise.

I went from a diesel BMW 3 series convertible that was essentially worthless, to the fiesta which is worth approximately £25k more and is a serious boy racer thing, and saved myself over £100 per year in insurance. I have no idea how they calculate this stuff, it’s nuts.

^^^^ Same with road tax. Volvo v60 D4.’64 plate. No road tax whatsoever. How they got a two litre diesel with 190BHP under 100 emissions is beyond me. It’s got stop/start tech but you can turn it off…. Not complaining mind:)

I went from a diesel BMW 3 series convertible that was essentially worthless, to the fiesta which is worth approximately £25k more and is a serious boy racer thing, and saved myself over £100 per year in insurance. I have no idea how they calculate this stuff, it’s nuts.

Out of the Audi, Merc and Porsche the Porsche is the cheapest to insure. It's bonkers BUT then you think about it and realise not that many people actually bin an old Porsche ...really

Out of the Audi, Merc and Porsche the Porsche is the cheapest to insure. It's bonkers BUT then you think about it and realise not that many people actually bin an old Porsche ...really

Bet plenty of STs get wrapped around lamp posts though!

Back to op. My neighbour is a car nut and quite wealthy. He had the Focus ST but it only lasted eight months. He eulogised about it but being from humble origins just couldn’t get his head around less than twenty miles per gallon if used as intended.
After the usual mid-life crisis Porsche he’s settled down into a comfortable Audi TT in race tune in a truly shocking lime green:) I’ve only seen his wife driving it so far.

^^^ This...£70k for near new ones on AutoTrader. How the hell did we get here...£70k+ for a hot hatch?

Yup. Pure insanity!

As for the ST, I like the thought of having one but can’t justify getting a hot hatch now as I have to ferry my ageing parents around from time to time (hence the small crossover/SUV)… (my last ‘real’ hot hatch was a MINI John Cooper Works)

Back to op. My neighbour is a car nut and quite wealthy. He had the Focus ST but it only lasted eight months. He eulogised about it but being from humble origins just couldn’t get his head around less than twenty miles per gallon if used as intended.
After the usual mid-life crisis Porsche he’s settled down into a comfortable Audi TT in race tune in a truly shocking lime green:) I’ve only seen his wife driving it so far.

Audi TT...yes his Wife talking him into it :)

Fiesta ST much more frugal by all accounts..

You pay more insurance for cheaper versions of the same car or risk. The logic goes that it you are putting £X thousand into a car you care about it, maintain it and generally don't drive it like a total cock. Compare and contrast with the guy who sinks £700 on a ratty example that he rags around for a laugh until the MoT guy says that it's done.

That would complement the 911 nicely. I never liked the 5 door but the 3 door has a certain something about it and that colour is great.

That would complement the 911 nicely. I never liked the 5 door but the 3 door has a certain something about it and that colour is great.

Yes, it's just a case of it is it too old and will give me too much hassle. Budgets there to get something newer but always liked the look of them.

Yes, it's just a case of it is it too old and will give me too much hassle. Budgets there to get something newer but always liked the look of them.

Doesn't that depend upon how well its been maintained and how much you think you'll use it? If it's a good one, might not cost any more than a 2013 car - just as prone to unforeseen costs, surely? I must admit, I'd rather a 265 cup with LSD and some choice suspension. The Ohlins on the 275 was superb - so composed over busy bits that have other cars thrown about.

I had a Focus ST which had been tuned. I thought it was great. Then my sister got a Fiesta ST and I had a go. It was just such fun, I loved it. More like a go cart, but it just shouted drive me drive me.

advertisement

Back