advertisement

Pic from the Hong Kong audio show

I reckon that covers the cost of materials, UK r&d, investment in the fancy high res optical calibration system they developed and making 50 of them plus rega's usual modest margins. That's the next half decade of trickle down all paid for, all power to them.

FWIW it comes with an Aphelion 2 cartridge, Advanced Power Supply -seen in the left of the pic- & that Carbon Fiber wall bracket you see in the picture included with price, I would love to listen to one in my home for a week ...or two. They say that the "Zirconia toughened alumina (ZTA) spindle and bearing assembly" was an amazing feat in engineering itself, that at first suppliers said it couldn't be done the way Rega wanted for commercial use.

The Naiad incorporates the following ground-breaking features:
  • Ultra-lightweight carbon fibre plinth with Rohacell foam core and ceramic braces
  • RB Titanium tonearm
  • Aphelion 2 MC cartridge
  • Advanced power supply housed in our reference electronics casework
  • Automatic calibration for speed and inbuilt test facility
  • New ceramic flywheel effect platter
  • Zirconia toughened alumina (ZTA) spindle and bearing assembly
  • Precision machined aluminium hub
  • Custom made carbon fibre cantilever designed wall bracket to provide the ultimate support

This has been around for several years, why are people acting like it's news?

The price does include a cartridge and wall-mount.

Anyway, I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers. I might change the cartridge though.

Comes with a lot of accessories including a special wall bracket.
Arm is titanium not aluminium.
Because it's only just been put on Rega's website and taken to a major hifi show.

Dare I ask: so how does it sound?

Or is this just to become a thread for getting unnecessarily heated over the price of a TT or an opportunity to kick Rega?

There are lots of things I can't justify spending the money on, this can happily join the list of things I would love to own but probably never will with no need to get upset.

The Naiad incorporates the following ground-breaking features:
  • New ceramic flywheel effect platter
  • Kyocera , Nagoaka & Audio Technica all made ceramic platters 50years ago
RB Titanium tonearm - 1970s Technics EPA 100

Kyocera Turntable with ceramic platter
64e1aa65f4be471dd4af11a15bafc54f.jpg

Pricing in the materials and R&D for such a short run of decks at UK prices it doesn't seem horrific. There was a better picture I saw floating around a while ago of the complete package and it looked substantial.

I think it looks great but sound wise Rega aren't for me, that being said if I were in the position that a 30 grand deck was something on my radar then I'd have had one just for the hell of it.

daytona 600, at no point did we say it was the first ceramic platter merely "IT WAS A NEW CERAMIC PLATTER" nor indeed did we say it was the first Titanium tonearm, just "IT IS THE FIRST REGA RB TITANIUM TONEARM" but as ever don't let the truth get in the way, eh........

The price does include a cartridge and wall-mount.

Anyway, I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers. I might change the cartridge though.

Why would you want to change the cartridge, have you heard and Aphelion II? ...I own one in my P10 along with Aura and I'm still listening to hours of music almost daily after almost 2 years with it & it's hard for me to break away sometimes, never has any of my lp12's over the past 35 years been so engaging or musical/in-tune..

"IT IS THE FIRST REGA RB TITANIUM TONEARM" ........
This is intriguing. It it cast from a titanium alloy in a similar procedure to the original arms?

And is there any chance of buying just the encoder disc? I've been struggling to source one of sufficient resolution, probably because I don't know what to ask for and I only want one... I've had to make do with 500 marks, which isn't really high enough resolution.

In the context of audio products the Naiad seems very reasonably priced. There's an arm reviewed in Stereophile this month that seems to miss the point entirely but retails at more than $25000.

P10 in a carbon fibre party frock for £30k
expect lots of 2nd hand Avid , Sme , Technics , vertere , VPI , Techdas , Clearaudio etc flooding the market

I don't think so somehow, unless of course they are serial box shifters, or have a retail therapy disorder...

So now we have started having a pop at Rega on here too? Sad days. While this is an expensive turntable no one is making anyone buy one and it's not like Rega don't have an abundance of lower priced alternatives to offer those wishing to spend less anyway. I think the product looks fantastic and while I don't have £30K for a turntable I hope those that do at least consider it as few companies outside of Rega know as much about turntables as they do.

So now we have started having a pop at Rega on here too? Sad days. While this is an expensive turntable no one is making anyone buy one and it's not like Rega don't have an abundance of lower priced alternatives to offer those wishing to spend less anyway. I think the product looks fantastic and while I don't have £30K for a turntable I hope those that do at least consider it as few companies outside of Rega know as much about turntables as they do.

!00% concur Tiggers.

If a British company Epitomizes VFM it's Rega and its so nice they are putting out a limited edition deck that they are pushing the performance envelope to new heights with all their experience over the years.No one bats an eyelid with amps and their pricing in the high end from other companies.
I find with amps its so refreshing with Rega the Osaris is their best amp and costs £7000.

I wish Rega continued sales growth and success.

If a British company Epitomizes VFM it's Rega and its so nice they are putting out a limited edition deck that they are pushing the performance envelope to new heights with all their experience over the years.No one bats an eyelid with amps and their pricing in the high end from other companies.
I find with amps its so refreshing with Rega the Osaris is their best amp and costs £7000.

I wish Rega continued sales growth and success.

I agree with all of the above and I own a Rega turntable. However, we need to be a little careful, as "pushing the performance envelope to new heights" might apply to Rega's own products and developments, not forgetting there is an awful lot of competition out there in the market and some also offering amazing sound for the price, as well as being better designed and built. Think Brinkmann, TW Acustic, Thales just to name a few at the £30K price point, plus you get to select your own tonearm and cartridge...

advertisement

Back