advertisement

Cleaning 2nd hand vinyl

JLN

pfm Member
Hi just got hold of a Rega p1 to try vinyl for the first time and really enjoying it! Buying up some second hand vinyl off the bay and other places, most have been very good, odd one has a few skips, just wondering if cleaning would help and what people use (excluding expensive machines!)? Any recommended techniques / fluid etc? Cheers

Cleaning is pretty well essential I'm afraid. The Project vacuum machine is very popular, I have one and use it even for new records. If it looks scratched then it usually is, minor surface sratches are not usually troublesome but anything more will be a click at best. You'll hear them because they're almost always repetitive at the rpm you're playing. If buying off older folk seeking to offload their records, remember that they/we usually have fading eyesight and can't always see scratches ;)

https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/vc-e/

Cleaning won't help damage to the disc but will help if it's skipping because there's crud in the grooves. It's sometimes hard to tell which it is from a visual inspection so it's often just clean it and see.

Lots of recipes for cleaning fluid but most are basically water, IPA and something like a few drops of Kodak Photo Flo to stop it beading on the record.

Systems like the Knosti Disco are OK if you're on a budget. I've used one in the past and found it worthwhile. But results are a lot better with either a vacuum or ultrasonic RCM. I picked up a used Pro-Ject machine from a member and wish I'd bought one years ago - it makes such a difference having clean records. And no more gunked up needles either!

Cleaning old LPs lets you hear a lot more, but it won’t make clicks from significant radial scratches any quieter.

I use an Audiodesk Systeme. Like many (but not all) cleaners, it is now a silly price. More important, I see no reason to clean records often - usually once is all they need for many years.

Lots of people have record cleaners and won’t use them often. Perhaps you can borrow one from someone fairly local for a week or so?

Here's a zero-budget solution that I have used in the past to good effect. It's not popular with gadget collectors, largely because it involves no gadgets, or people who think that hifi and or vinyl is somehow special and needs the use of analytical grade chemicals to become clean. It isn't, and it doesn't.
You need a clean washing up bowl, lukewarm water, a splash of washing up liquid, and a new washing up sponge or cloth. Wash the records, taking care to avoid soaking the labels, rinse them in clean cold water, and prop them up to dry. When dry, use them as normal.
That's it. Sorry it's not more dramatic. There may be better solutions, but this one works.

Here's a zero-budget solution that I have used in the past to good effect. It's not popular with gadget collectors, largely because it involves no gadgets, or people who think that hifi and or vinyl is somehow special and needs the use of analytical grade chemicals to become clean. It isn't, and it doesn't.
You need a clean washing up bowl, lukewarm water, a splash of washing up liquid, and a new washing up sponge or cloth. Wash the records, taking care to avoid soaking the labels, rinse them in clean cold water, and prop them up to dry. When dry, use them as normal.
That's it. Sorry it's not more dramatic. There may be better solutions, but this one works.

even less effort > run a clean, slightly damp microfibre cloth a few times in a circular motion following the record grooves - rinse with clean water - Dry the records on a plate rack. Examine disc - still dirty? Do it again with a cloth that is damper.

As per steve67, tap water with just a drop or two of cheap washing up liquid. Don’t forget to rinse. Be careful of getting labels wet.

(note: when I first started wet cleaning records I would use a sink full of soapy water and have 10+ albums in the water at a time - soon learned that paper labels don’t like that treatment! - that was circa 1984, experience is the best teacher o_O

Good cleaning fluid + Brush 20quid
Knosti manual RCM 40quid , or use a Pair 1 x wash + 1 x rinse
RCM no brainer if you play records Project 350quid
Good quality inners after cleaning & you should clean every record before playing even brand new LPs

I've gone Knosti -> Nitty Gritty -> Pro-Ject. They all worked and improved the record and were worthwhile. But results using the Pro-Ject have been dramatically better. I suspect it's largely to do with the ability of the machine to suck the liquified crud out the groove after it's been scrubbed.

You can clean a limited number of LPs by hand...so definitely NOT worth buying a record cleaning machine until you decide if your committed to the format or not

I have a Pro-Ject machine, and it is no exaggeration to say it has transformed my vinyl collection, some of which is over 50 years old. Obviously it will not repair a damaged disc, but in terms of getting rid of static and the surface noise caused by the grime that builds up over the years, I cannot fault the results. I know it's a cliche, but I now have a new music collection.
It is also great for getting rid of the static on brand new records.

I started out with an Antistat and a Knosti. Both are very manual but good nonetheless. I then moved to a VPI 16.5 which is what I still have and use. As with all powered RCMs it is noisy.

I have a Pro-Ject machine, and it is no exaggeration to say it has transformed my vinyl collection, some of which is over 50 years old. Obviously it will not repair a damaged disc, but in terms of getting rid of static and the surface noise caused by the grime that builds up over the years, I cannot fault the results. I know it's a cliche, but I now have a new music collection.
It is also great for getting rid of the static on brand new records.
True. Tap water will do this too. I know, it's what I do.

You might find that a nearby hi-fi or record shop offers a cleaning service; one near me charges £2 an album. Could be a useful test to see if there’s an RCM in your future.

I bought an Okki Nokki 15 years ago; in recent months it’s been getting more use than ever.

Years ago bought the Clapton 6 record set at a car boot for 50p - looked like someone had pulled a house down around them there was so much debris on them - just washed them in the sink with slightly soapy water - 10 of the 12 sides turned out fineo_O

Unless you have a lot of records to clean, a personal record cleaning machine probably isn't worth the expense or the faf. Many record stores have cleaning machines and will clean the records for a nominal fee.

Are you in a soft water area?
No. Here's a test for how much limescale remains after washing: wash a glass, rinse it, drain it, let it dry. Inspect it for scale. None in my case. Good enough for me, good enough for my records. Not yours? You can rinse in DI water if you wish.

advertisement

Back