advertisement

What are you reading these days?

I recently read an Alexi Sayle short stories and the first time I have been able to find surrealism funny. Hence I bought a few of his and presently reading The Weeping Women Hotel.

Recently read all nine of the The Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitch was a suggestion by my brother and I had geuinely not heard anything about them so was surprised to find out they were a best seller when I finished .

Been on a bit of a Michael Connelly kick recently (Harry Bosch/Mickey Haller/Renee Ballard). Not exactly highbrow fiction, but perfect light summer reading.

Now back with one of my favourite authors. Iain M. Banks' "Matter".

I just finished a re read of Matter, one of my fav Banks books

Recently read all nine of the The Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitch was a suggestion by my brother and I had geuinely not heard anything about them so was surprised to find out they were a best seller when I finished .

They're a hit in my family too. I have Tales From The Folly waiting on the To Read pile.

I love how well he captures the feel of different parts of London. I grew up a 10 min walk from Beverly Brook :)

They're a hit in my family too. I have Tales From The Folly waiting on the To Read pile.

I love how well he captures the feel of different parts of London. I grew up a 10 min walk from Beverly Brook :)

My brother has just told me that there is a TV series in the pipeline with the guidance of the Ben as producer which may well mean that it will be pretty decent . As there is good back catalogue for this plenty of scope for making it a very good series .

My brother has just told me that there is a TV series in the pipeline with the guidance of the Ben as producer which may well mean that it will be pretty decent . As there is good back catalogue for this plenty of scope for making it a very good series .

I wondered if they would do a TV series - I think it could be really good. Though of course it's never as good as your imagination when reading the books. I read one or two of the graphic novels but didn't really get on with the style of art - it seemed a bit workaday for the fantastical subject matter.

'M: Son of the Century' by Antonio Scurati. The first part (1919-1925) of a mostly biographical trilogy about Benito Mussolini. Timely, yet terrifying. A how-to guide on fascism, and the circumstances and rationale for its genesis.

The Complete Far Side by Gary Larson

Far-Side.jpg
2a75e6dfee826739a512c771a6249648.jpg

Publication consists of two heavy tomes, and stupidly nearly did myself a mischief reading it in bed.

Last edited:
Just finished (for the third time) "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich". The parallels between the Wester Allies , then, and now are remarkable. Like a photocopied military plan , handed to Putin..." this is how ye do it wee man". Moved onto another reread...Space Opera - an anthology of Sci-Fi by Brian Aldiss.

Discovered a new (to me) character, the kicked-out-of-the-cops so works as a private detective, Bernhard Gunther in pre-WW2 Berlin, created by the late Philip Kerr. I’m late to these but enjoying them immensely.

Maigret et le corps sans tète.
It's a while since I've read any Simenon. Picked this up for 0,50€ in a charity shop near Briançon.

Early start, a day's walking, then back to the châlet mid afternoon for a few beers, sun and reading. A good home cooked meal and wine to close the day. My idea of a perfect holiday.

I really enjoy the Maigret novels. They're well written, intelligently paced, and very human. People do bad things, but they're not necessarily bad people. There's always a context. Simenon has had a huge influence on the genre in France.

Discovered a new (to me) character, the kicked-out-of-the-cops so works as a private detective, Bernhard Gunther in pre-WW2 Berlin, created by the late Philip Kerr. I’m late to these but enjoying them immensely.

I've been reading the Gereon Rath novels (Babylon Berlin, on TV), which are similarly set in the 30s. Must try Kerr's work, too. Did he write them in English or German ?

Trying to get into Machines like Me by Ian McEwan on the recommendation of colleagues. I'm coming to the view that I don't get on with McEwan's writing style. He may well have a good story to tell but his style intrudes for me, it lacks the elegance of a truly good writer and it acts as a bit of a check on the pace of the tale. It's the third McEwan novel I've tackled, all have been good stories in the end, but I'm not drawn in by his prose. Does this make me a bad person?

Did he write them in English or German ?

I believe English. It’s clear from the texts I’ve read so far that Kerr is (at least) bilingual. He uses what is apparently Berlin slang/vernacular/argot, the meaning of which has to be imagined by a non-German speaker - that’s me.

Just finished 'The forensic records society' by Magnus Mills. Funny little book about a collection of slightly obsessive people and their interactions. Mirrors hifi folk and forums pretty well imo.

Currently ambling through 'Islands of abandonment' by Cal Flyn, about nature's regeneration of our abandoned places. Interesting so far.

advertisement

Back