advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

I see you've moved on from straw man to non sequitur.

Sadly, I an see that you won't except it when I tell you what I actually thought and *why* I made the comments. They were to ensure people were informed about a serious problem many face. Not to bicker with you.

I did laugh out loud at that. The reality in the UK is slightly different for many sectors. 'Privatisations' and 'Outsorcings' has created all kinds of gravy trains for the owners of the companies, and the actual level of service and investment fades. So we end up paying them to make a profit.

IIRC various case like water in the Thames area was bought up by an Australian firm who them got it to borrow a huge amount. They then paid themselves a huge dividend from that, and sold off the company, leaving it saddled with debt. Which then means reluctance to invest, maintain, etc. Quite a lot of medium-large scale 'private' becomes essentially a monopoly. And profits tend to go offshore, often dodging tax at the door.

I’d agree there are certain cases for nationalisation. Welsh Water isn’t a bad ‘not for profit’ model and provided a pretty good service in my experience. Although they are one of the few with a hosepipe ban despite being a very wet place generally…

I’m all for nationalising our utilities. The only shareholders should be us, the general public who are paying the bills. Any money made should go on investing in our infrastructure and keeping bills realistic.
We’ve had a long spell of dry and hot weather this summer and there’s hosepipe bans in various parts of the country. Only when this happens do they start talking about the impact of water shortages and how they should invest in the infrastructure. Down here in Devon I see thousands of houses being built everywhere but no extra sources of water being provided and sewerage being dumped in the rivers and sea because they can’t cope with all the extra people having a dump after breakfast. I’ve been saying for years we’re going to be in trouble sooner or later. Do they not think of this or are they just happy taking their huge pay packets? The government should do something but they’re out of their depth along with all the previous governments in recent times.

Of course, but your talking a whole different level of investment and barriers to entry between a baker and an oil producer. In essence then, the govt owns the industry (whatever that happens to be), it can’t make a profit when global commodity prices are very low (as it can’t exploit people) and has to sell at a (taxpayer funded) loss to insulate people when global commodity prices are deemed ‘unaffordable’. What could possibly go wrong.

Jeez! Are you normally this stubborn? The bakery analogy was just that. It was you who introduced all the extraneous guff about not exploiting people.

You don't have to believe me. Have a look at Statoil, now Equinor, the Norweigian state owned oil company. They seem to turn a nice profit for their fellow countrymen. The resulting Norwegian sovereign wealth fund is an embarrassment of riches. Go figure. They also manage to return around eighty times the public benefit than we do from our UK oil.

TDLR:
Did Thatcher make this worse?
So by all accounts, the Norwegians handled their oil boom perfectly, but the same cannot be said for the British. The surge of oil profits for Britain coincided with the rise of Margaret Thatcher. She came into power in 1979, and instead of setting up a fund to invest these new profits, she used the extra money to make radical reforms to the British economy.

She started a wave of mass privatization of companies that were otherwise profitable and made large cuts to income taxes in order to revitalize an otherwise stagnating economy. Her policies were successful in that regard and resulted in large economic growth.

In essence, the UK and Norway took opposite approaches to their oil money. The British blew it on tax cuts while the Norwegians invested it and grew it to the point where this tiny nation of 5 million people is the largest shareholder in Europe. Norway is a perfect example of why investing is smart, and that’s a lesson we can all use.

I’m all for nationalising our utilities. The only shareholders should be us, the general public who are paying the bills. Any money made should go on investing in our infrastructure and keeping bills realistic.
We’ve had a long spell of dry and hot weather this summer and there’s hosepipe bans in various parts of the country. Only when this happens do they start talking about the impact of water shortages and how they should invest in the infrastructure. Down here in Devon I see thousands of houses being built everywhere but no extra sources of water being provided and sewerage being dumped in the rivers and sea because they can’t cope with all the extra people having a dump after breakfast. I’ve been saying for years we’re going to be in trouble sooner or later. Do they not think of this or are they just happy taking their huge pay packets? The government should do something but they’re out of their depth along with all the previous governments in recent times.

The essential problem is that there is a direct conflict of interest when you privatise a crucial public utility. A company's first duty is to make a profit. Fair enough.
That means that a private company or plc is not the proper structure to deliver an essential public health service. They are directly incentivised to reduce their service to the public and increase their own wealth. It's baked in to the structure.

This seems so obvious as to hardly need stating...but here we are...hosepipe bans and shit flowing down our rivers.

A more recent article about how our "World-Beating" approach to oil and gas compares with our neighbour.

Engineering & technology January 2021
What the two countries did with their surplus revenue has effectively mapped their economic futures for half a century. As the UK’s former Secretary of State for the Environment (and later Defence) Michael Heseltine said recently, Britain under Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher “squandered the windfall” on short-term consumerist policies such as subsidised housing and mortgage tax relief policies. Heseltine says he would have preferred to see the money invested in a ‘sovereign wealth fund’, a state-owned financial instrument for securing long-term benefits for the nation’s citizenry.

This is exactly what Norway did, investing its surplus revenues in the so-called ‘Oil Fund’ which owns 1 per cent of the world’s stocks, is valued at more than US$1tn and, according to The Economist, is the largest fund of its type in existence.

Today, the economic fortunes of the two countries differ vastly: in terms of GDP per capita Norway is currently the second wealthiest country on Earth (after Luxembourg), while the UK comes in 20th, with a GDP per capita of almost exactly half of Norway’s - US$52,291 (£38,961) compared with $102,907 (£76,686) (projected figures for 2022).

What happens is the state owned industry becomes flabby, inefficient and complacent. Taxpayer subsidies have to increase but so what, it’s only taxpayers money. Meanwhile, Joe Bloggs comes along, providing a superior service / product at a better price and people move away from the state run offering. Unless you’re talking about living in a communist state.
I have to admire the constancy: 40 years into the Thatcher experiment, rivers full of shit, social care in a terminal state, energy costs quadrupling, outsourcing failures like Carillion regularly blowing up whole economic sectors, and you’re sticking steadfastly to the myths of the 1970s as if none of this had ever happened.

There are no logical or historical grounds for thinking that state owned enterprises are fated to become complacent and inefficient. There are any number of different ways of nationalising industry and some quite spectacular success stories internationally (Taiwan, Korea, Singapore). Even in Britain, where nationalisation was bungled, the public sector still outperformed the private on the available evidence.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/op...-bashers-economic-case-against-public-owners/

I have to admire the constancy: 40 years into the Thatcher experiment, rivers full of shit, social care in a terminal state, energy costs quadrupling, outsourcing failures like Carillion regularly blowing up whole economic sectors, and you’re sticking steadfastly to the myths of the 1970s as if none of this had ever happened.

There are no logical or historical grounds for thinking that state owned enterprises are fated to become complacent and inefficient. There are any number of different ways of nationalising industry and some quite spectacular success stories internationally (Taiwan, Korea, Singapore). Even in Britain, where nationalisation was bungled, the public sector still outperformed the private on the available evidence.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/op...-bashers-economic-case-against-public-owners/

Why am I watching newsnight which is saying France is looking to the UK to provide electricity this winter to keep their lights on? Nationalised and subsidised industries are clearly doing a cracking job. France are also paying more per mega watt hour than the UK, apparently. French taxpayers getting mugged by the sound of it.

Why am I watching newsnight which is saying France is looking to the UK to provide electricity this winter to keep their lights on? Nationalised and subsidised industries are clearly doing a cracking job. France are also paying more per mega watt hour than the UK, apparently. French taxpayers getting mugged by the sound of it.
LOL let’s see who’s in a better position come winter, France or U.K.

The Great Oxygenation Event was caused by Cyanobacteria, not plants. And, man, did it cause a revolution!

Before the GOE, the Earth had a reducing atmosphere instead of an oxidizing one. Back then, if you bought a rusty car it would get shinier and less rusty as time progressed. Auto manufacturing and car dealerships were very different back then — well, they would have been but our species, let alone car salesman, hadn’t evolved yet.

Anyway, it was a crazy time. Life was only unicellular and often thinking to itself if only it could somehow work together to form multicellular life it could specialize with some cells being brain cells that think up stuff. But this was before that so cells had to imagine what multicellular life would be like.

Like I said, it was a crazy time and really you had to be there.

Joe

Without the GOE, there’d be no breatharians.

Can we have a 'banging head against wall' emoji please Tony?

Please, let's not 'bash business'.

eZnXFBL.png

LOL let’s see who’s in a better position come winter, France or U.K.

That will largely depend on the individual in either country rather than the state. Sounds like France are almost begging for energy supplies from the UK.

Truss can feck right off, typical, appealing to large corporations while the population suffers…in touch….yeah right

That will largely depend on the individual in either country rather than the state. Sounds like France are almost begging for energy supplies from the UK.
Most UK utilities are owned by foreign countries - and France is a big player.

How are we going to supply energy to France? What form of energy are you talking about? Are there big cables under the English Channel?

How are we going to supply energy to France? What form of energy are you talking about? Are there big cables under the English Channel?

Indeed - there are eight cables that can work either way between the uk and Europe, Ireland and Norway. The nature of demand is that it is not unusual for the uk to send power to France at one price and then to buy the same amount back at a higher price at a different time. The same can happen in reverse of course, and I suspect some Googling will find real data.

advertisement

Back