advertisement

Avondale NCC220 vs Witch Hat Phoenix

Rather tempting.........

Does anyone knows if you get most of the benefits of installing these Phoenix boards in a NAP 110 while keeping its original power supply or you get a much better performance when the power supply is an improved one such as an Avondale ?

Phoenix boards should drop straight into a 110. This amp has the reservoir caps right next to the amp boards, which makes them very musical, so no need for extra changes.

Mine arrived last week very snazzy box and packing I must say!

Took that long I no longer have an amplifier to fit them to lol.

Be a longer term project fit them to DIY build

You will be very pleased with the sound improvement the Phoenix boards give, how long did they say it will be to send them. Mine took 3 months and I am still waiting for the Newt Dragon board for my hi cap which I ordered in the Easter sale. WH make good products but they are not good at delivery times. Always keep saying be available in a few weeks. So be patient, I’m not so good at that TBH after 12 weeks, but they do sound good and VFM

You will be very pleased with the sound improvement the Phoenix boards give, how long did they say it will be to send them. Mine took 3 months and I am still waiting for the Newt Dragon board for my hi cap which I ordered in the Easter sale. WH make good products but they are not good at delivery times. Always keep saying be available in a few weeks. So be patient, I’m not so good at that TBH after 12 weeks, but they do sound good and VFM
They told me 4 weeks but I’m in no hurry anyway.

Received my Supercap back from which hat a week ago and super happy with the uplift in the SQ. More spacious, increased detail, more depth and just loads of goodness all round. Very impressed.
Had the Dragon Newt upgrade and a service for the 82 superlink mod….very,very impressed.
the Phoenix upgrade for the 250 is still in the box as I’m waiting for the Supercap to run in for a while before I fit them
Also but stil waiting for the Dragon Newt mod for my hi cap which is powering the Headline.
Really looking forward to seeing what they are like and if the SC is anything to go by I will be very happy…..
No brainer those mods….

hi

Apologies for asking this in your thread but you could help me I think.

My RSL 72 , Avondale ps and Avondale zenor 250. Have stopped working. ( no sound at all). I am trying to isolate the cause of the problem and have changed the RSL boards back the original naim ones (still no sound).

I have the original ?? naim ?? boards for the 250 but have no idea how to swap them for the boards in the 250.

Can you or anyone let me know how to swap the boras in the 250 please?

Many thanks in advance and apologies for potentiall hijacking your thread

Regards

Mike

I think you need to establish where the fault is before swapping loads of boards around. It could easily be your Avondale power supply at fault. Best start a new thread possibly in DIY to get help.

They told me 4 weeks but I’m in no hurry anyway.
Okay, boards received and installed.

First impressions is a perfect treble, very natural human voices and a very good separation between singers when signing all together.

If you install these boards to replace the original ones in a Naim NAP 110, you won’t be able to go back, this is a major upgrade in a good way.

I had the opportunity to compare against my other NAP 110 with Avondale power supply and NCC200 boards. Both are very good and differences between both are rather subtle.

The Phoenixed 110 seems to have a better treble, sweeter while being very detailed. Perfect is the word that best describes the treble with these boards IMO. I personally can’t think of anything better. The Avondaled 110 has a very good treble as well although a little less soft.

The medium is also a tad better with Phoenix as the human voices have a better separation between each signers and you can feel their throat vibration better when they throw lower notes. Piano notes sound more accurate as well.

Bass is where things get different IMO. The Phoenixed one seems to be a little more polite on bass notes with less transient and less impact and emphasis on bass drum kicks. The Avondaled one has more impact and gets more on your chest if I may say.

Snare drum is also hitting harder with Avondale keeping more of the famous Naim’s PRaT. Hammer hitting the piano notes is also more real with Avondale, Phoenix being a tad less percussion sounding.

All in all, both are extremely good and are significant improvements compared to the original Naim boards but I would recommend the Phoenix for people listening to human voices and the Avondale for percussion instruments, bass guitars and large bass drums.

NAP 110 before :

NAP 110 with Phoenix boards :

All this is irrelevant as Les gave up on the RCA circuit some time ago and has moved on
with a series of innovative new designs. He'll continue to supply the NCC200 until PCBs
run dry.

He wrote on his FB page "The RCA is dead - long live the SE Series!"

Has anyone here tried Phoenix boards on NAP135's?
(I am considering getting 135's, but they only offer Phoenix upgrades in the factory...which means I would need to get them done in the UK before importing them to my country, sight unseen and sound unheard).

Artoly
I have / had Pheonix boards in both my old NAP 180 and then transferred them to my now NAP 250. I personally like the SQ, there is more bass, wider soundstage and slightly more definition between instruments and vocals. BUT..... this is personal raste, you may not like the sound and 2 x 135's are quire different I expect from a single 250 etc. It's a gamble, especially as it seem then that they are not plug and play for you, in a 180 / 250 they just plug into the same connectors, you just have to unbolt them from the chassis and use new thermal paste when installing the new ones. 20 minute job and if you don't like them then you get 60 days to return them to WH for a refund. So no brainer to try and buy but for you, yes a big gamble as if you do not like them then your stuck really.

I'm still playing with my system, in the end this is a hobby and fun trying different things, I recently got a Supercap to go with my NAC 82 in place of 2 x Hi Cap and am surprised by the SQ difference this is making, 3 days in and now settling down. Now wondering if I have too much bass, am playing with speaker positioning and moving stuff around in the room, plus thinking of putting back the standard boards to see how this effects it all. In the end I will wait a bit for the SC to settle in and see where it goes in a week or so. No cost for me on this, and part of the enjoyment in getting to a SQ that I like, not what others say I should have. Take SQ advice with some caution, in the end your system sound is a very personal taste and very very subjective., the speaker positioning and how your room interacts with the sound have a big influence as well. As Andrew Robinson says on his YouTube channel, "The only person who has to like the sound of your system is you"

Best wishes

Thought I would return to this thread with some news regarding Phoenix Boards . As many of you know the former Naim engineer who goes by his initials JJ , late of Witch Hat is now working from home ( he always did ) he has gone self employed servicing Naim gear .
What you may not know is that not only did he designed the Phoenix boards and also the Dragon Newt boards but that he owns the Intellectual Property to them . I contacted him about them last week and this week he fitted a pair to my Nap 250 .
I already have a pair of Newt Hi-caps on my 282 and a Dragon Newt Hi-cap on my pre-fix , the Phoenix boards are a staggering improvement and I'm extremely impressed by them .

jjsthatcham.uk/services

Cheers Rosie

Wondering... if I install Phoenix boards in NAP140 (that by now deffinitely needs a service), how much is there still left to service? Would it still need one?

And is there some power supply board by Avondale or ex Witch Hat, that pretty much plugs into NAP140 and retains its ability to power a preamp?

Same question for NAP180.

advertisement

Back