advertisement

Petition against motorcycle parking charges in Hackney

Bikes should be encouraged, not seen as similar to cars.
Kuala Lumpur is a good example of too many motorcycles, lots of pollution from dirty two strokes and terrible accident rates. The complete disregard for red lights by the bikers has a lot to do with it.

If everyone rode motorbikes, I doubt the nhs could cope.

Bikers are hurt from hitting cars...not other bikes,
If everyone rode bikes the accident rate would drop though the floor...because all the geriatric dodders and away with the fairies idiots would be off the road in a week...leaving the roads clear for safe competent riders

Also...if this charge REALLY is aimed at poluters..why the same charge for electric bikes? Because its not...its just more money grabbing crap from the councils

Kuala Lumpur is a good example of too many motorcycles, lots of pollution from dirty two strokes and terrible accident rates. The complete disregard for red lights by the bikers has a lot to do with it.
Two strokes hardly exist in UK any more.

The complete disregard for red lights in another country has nothing to do with it. That does not happen in UK.

There will never be too many bikes like that in UK as people have more wealth. Cars will always dominate, but penalising bikers puts more of them back in cars. It's systemic. Bikers have always been penalised in UK, sensible thinkers know that motorbikes are part of the solution for the short to medium term.

Signed, but I don’t think it will change anything as I guess it’s the council looking for additional income and using the pollution angle as justification despite it being incorrect. My CB300R averages 100mpg, less emissions from tyres and brakes and takes up far less room than a car. As you could park 3 motorcycles in the space used by one car bikers are effectively being charged more. Also, the 4 hour limit is going to make it difficult for those who use their bikes to get to work.

If everyone rode bikes the accident rate would drop though the floor...because all the geriatric dodders and away with the fairies idiots would be off the road in a week...leaving the roads clear for safe competent riders

Also...if this charge REALLY is aimed at poluters..why the same charge for electric bikes? Because its not...its just more money grabbing crap from the councils
Are those little memorials I see around the Peak District just an imaginary construct? They usually involve a teddy bear & a picture of a bloke in leathers?

But, yes, cars will be involved at some level but it’s never their fault

Er, no. A lot of them hit scenery. Yes, unobservant car drivers are well in the mix too, but many manage it unassisted.
And I’ve no doubt that the organ-recovery shops would be much busier when the previously fine-weather riders were having to ride in the depths of winter, heavy rain, during muddy road season etc etc.

Bikers just aren’t a special breed of super humans.

It’s ironic that as a dedicated biker until my mid thirties I have bought a Volvo. This was the hate brand of all right-thinking bikers in my period(I’m early 70’s) I read somewhere (we) now hate Audi drivers.
More for aggressive than incompetent driving apparently. Could be both of course:)

I think everyone should sign this.

I have a long held (and totally irrational) hatred of parking charges of any description. I keep having to resist the urge to carry a club hammer around to deal with the latest crop of parking charge collection machines which are clearly designed to catch motorists out.

Er, no. A lot of them hit scenery. Yes, unobservant car drivers are well in the mix too, but many manage it unassisted.
And I’ve no doubt that the organ-recovery shops would be much busier when the previously fine-weather riders were having to ride in the depths of winter, heavy rain, during muddy road season etc etc.

Bikers just aren’t a special breed of super humans.
That seems to be an attempt to cloud over the fact other vehicles are the main threat and main cause of bikers coming off. We bikers are shit scared of car drivers because we've nearly all been knocked off by one. I'm not going to drag up credible sources about the main cause but they are out there.

Not so much in London where most roads have a 20 or 30 limit (yes I realise some riders don't seem to be aware of this...)

Unsurprisingly most traffic accidents in London occur at junctions. In fact 5% of junctions are responsible for half of all accidents - suggesting they're the product of poor road design as much as anything else.

Not so much in London where most roads have a 20 or 30 limit (yes I realise some riders don't seem to be aware of this...)

Unsurprisingly most traffic accidents in London occur at junctions. In fact 5% of junctions are responsible for half of all accidents - suggesting they're the product of poor road design as much as anything else.
As an ex-driving destructor, I’d say accidents occur at junctions mainly because of poor observation, and then impatience.

That seems to be an attempt to cloud over the fact other vehicles are the main threat and main cause of bikers coming off. We bikers are shit scared of car drivers because we've nearly all been knocked off by one. I'm not going to drag up credible sources about the main cause but they are out there.
So why on Earth do it? No way could I do every journey in a terrified state.

And on the subject of ditching cars and forcing everyone onto death traps, what about the disabled, very old, families, and more importantly, teenage boys? I’d have been receiving my food via a tube within a week of riding almost any motorbike on the road.

When I worked in Fleet Street, a colleague would ride in from Chatham and park his bike right outside the office. I was amazed he could pretty much leave wherever there was space. Awesome way of commuting if you have the balls for it.

So why on Earth do it? No way could I do every journey in a terrified state.

And on the subject of ditching cars and forcing everyone onto death traps, what about the disabled, very old, families, and more importantly, teenage boys? I’d have been receiving my food via a tube within a week of riding almost any motorbike on the road.
Because the movement of a motorbike has an elegance and fluidity that cars cannot offer..it's addictive

This is all about central government throttling funding for local councils while continuing to leave them on the hook for ballooning social care costs.

That said, I think it's still the case that revenues from parking charges can only be used on transport related expenditure, which probably explains the proliferation of weird and wonderful new road schemes over the last decade or so.

advertisement

Back