advertisement

Anyone own a Fiesta ST-3?

Fiesta-ST.jpg

Parting photo of Mrs BB's ST Performance.

Cheers BB

Too big and lardy for proper b road bashing, they're all getting too big and heavy.

My thoughts exactly, more weight just means more expense on tyres, brakes and suspension components (and don't manufacturers know it :( )

Is there an ST3-200 model designation? I don't think there is. Towards the end of the Mk7 life, Ford produced an ST-200. A bit of marketing though because whilst the earlier Mk7 was sold as 180hp, it overboosted for 15 seconds to 197. I think the mk 7 ST-200 had a touch more torque against the other models, (I may have that wrong) but Ford supported the warranty if you installed the Mountune 215 kit on a MK7 anyway, giving 212 bhp and c.230 lb.ft. of torque.

The current Mk8 1.5 three cylinder is 197 bhp across all models. 214 lb ft I think but Ford don't support any aftermarket chipping. I've had mk 7 and mk8, Mountune on the mk 7 and Revo 'stage 1' on the MK8. The performance pack adds the LSD to any car , but from sometime in 2020, all ST-3's had the PP.

I think the MK8 is a big improvement on the 7 - a more mature drive in all respects and a rapid B road car. If we want to be juvenile about it (we do, don't we?) a well-driven ST is a match for many more expensive things on a B road. Big bikes included - it's all about the corners...

Does the LSD add much? In the dry, little. In the wet? Oh yes. In my opinion, the car is at its best in the wet when you can really press on at quite a pace because of that diff, and of course it's overall inherent 'rightness' to the way it goes about everything. It's hugely confidence inspiring and has no nasty surprises whatsoever. You can rotate the rear with a lift, or simply chuck it in fast and get the back moving. On public roads I found it easier to keep position by rotating the rear in the right places.

Yes it's a car for the 'yoof', but look aside from that and it really is a great drive, at almost any price. Bargain of our times, if you can get comfortable in it. I had to put a cushion on the seat to lift me a little bit out of the bolsters!!!

And its cheap to run.

I had a gen 1 Fiesta ST.2.

Quite the most uncomfortable seats I have had in any car. Hope they have improved them, I never found Recaro’s uncomfortable in other cars I’ve owned, including a RS2000, Puma, ST220 and x2 Focus ST3’s.

Oh the suspension was far too hard & I say that having owned 5 Elise’s, two with Nitron suspension!

My thoughts exactly, more weight just means more expense on tyres, brakes and suspension components (and don't manufacturers know it :( )

It’s a completely different class of car to the Fiesta. The latest version is the best yet. The torque splitter means it’s less nose heavy. I had one for 3 days when my RS Q3 went in for warranty work (new master cylinder). £65,000 for a well spec’d one though…

It’s a completely different class of car to the Fiesta. The latest version is the best yet. The torque splitter means it’s less nose heavy. I had one for 3 days when my RS Q3 went in for warranty work (new master cylinder). £65,000 for a well spec’d one though…

How does the torque splitter reduce nose weight?

And its cheap to run.
Does that include insurance?
Unless a sporty car has a bucket-load of torque at low ish revs the joy doesn’t kick in unless revved, which means speed in hands, competent or not. I only had performance bikes but my KMX200 two stroke always inclined me to drive more colourfully than my Guzzi Le Mans, a more powerful machine by some margin. The former was much more likely to land me in hospital.

Unless a sporty car has a bucket-load of torque at low ish revs the joy doesn’t kick in unless revved, which means speed in hands, competent or not. I only had performance bikes but my KMX200 two stroke always inclined me to drive more colourfully than my Guzzi Le Mans, a more powerful machine by some margin. The former was much more likely to land me in hospital.

Not sure I can answer your question. Too many variables with insurance. It’s cheaper than a 911. That do you?

My insurance is £180 per year, 52yo, full ncd , no recent convictions (they didn’t ask about awareness courses, soooo…) parked overnight on a suburban driveway and 6000 miles PA.

Is there an ST3-200 model designation? I don't think there is. Towards the end of the Mk7 life, Ford produced an ST-200. A bit of marketing though because whilst the earlier Mk7 was sold as 180hp, it overboosted for 15 seconds to 197. I think the mk 7 ST-200 had a touch more torque against the other models, (I may have that wrong) but Ford supported the warranty if you installed the Mountune 215 kit on a MK7 anyway, giving 212 bhp and c.230 lb.ft. of torque.

The current Mk8 1.5 three cylinder is 197 bhp across all models. 214 lb ft I think but Ford don't support any aftermarket chipping. I've had mk 7 and mk8, Mountune on the mk 7 and Revo 'stage 1' on the MK8. The performance pack adds the LSD to any car , but from sometime in 2020, all ST-3's had the PP.

I think the MK8 is a big improvement on the 7 - a more mature drive in all respects and a rapid B road car. If we want to be juvenile about it (we do, don't we?) a well-driven ST is a match for many more expensive things on a B road. Big bikes included - it's all about the corners...

Does the LSD add much? In the dry, little. In the wet? Oh yes. In my opinion, the car is at its best in the wet when you can really press on at quite a pace because of that diff, and of course it's overall inherent 'rightness' to the way it goes about everything. It's hugely confidence inspiring and has no nasty surprises whatsoever. You can rotate the rear with a lift, or simply chuck it in fast and get the back moving. On public roads I found it easier to keep position by rotating the rear in the right places.

Yes it's a car for the 'yoof', but look aside from that and it really is a great drive, at almost any price. Bargain of our times, if you can get comfortable in it. I had to put a cushion on the seat to lift me a little bit out of the bolsters!!!

And its cheap to run.

Cheers for that quick summary. The whole Mountune thing is a great draw and so cheap (relatively speaking)

It’s a completely different class of car to the Fiesta. The latest version is the best yet. The torque splitter means it’s less nose heavy. I had one for 3 days when my RS Q3 went in for warranty work (new master cylinder). £65,000 for a well spec’d one though

^^^ This...£70k for near new ones on AutoTrader. How the hell did we get here...£70k+ for a hot hatch?

There are few permanent 4wd sports cars. Most now have Haldex or similar systems . (All VAG group including Audi quattro) You won’t have the same effect on the trans as you would have done in ye olde Sierra xr4 x 4. Not sure about scoobys. Can’t think of much else with 4 x 4 in ‘sports’ category

Yes, I know. Just passing comment on cars with lots of performance and things like lsd and 4wd, things that you can do 1000 times without incident in a conventional car, even a quick one, can break expensive parts of you abuse them in 4wd/lsd cars. Quattros that strip gearbox input shafts and/or clutch plates, or trash dirt bearings, that sort of fun.

advertisement

Back