advertisement

I know it’s all been said before but this is madness ….

I visit the Proms regularly and have been lucky enough to see some of my favourites over the years. The benefit of coming home is that I can here some of the greatest performances in good sound and continue to survey the massive catalogue that rests in front of me.

I can’t believe that no one has linked to the review of an old RCA cable which Radioshack mistakenly sold for a few dollars even though it matched the performance of really expensive boutique cables! Big marketing error there:p:p:p

So did we ever reach consensus on whether the disagreement is between whether all equivalent cables (RCA, XLR, Mains etc) sound the same irrespective of price or whether even the most ardent denier agrees there are differences but that the price discrepancy between doesn't justify the improvement being experienced?

One thing I've noticed is thtt if I were to change just one cable in my loom, I do struggle to hear the difference (there was one exception to that, which was between two different SPIDF cables I heard, where I experienced the less expensive cable, which was half the price of the other, as significantly better than the more expensive cable, so much so I got a refund on the more expensive cable to buy the cheaper one), but if I change them all, e.g. change all the mains cables or change all the interconnects, then I do hear a difference.

The degree of improvement I experience is not subtle, but at the same time, it's also the area that's hardest to get VFM (you have to invest a lot of time listening and sourcing options before you find something that does represent VFM).

So did we ever reach consensus on whether the disagreement is between whether all equivalent cables (RCA, XLR, Mains etc) sound the same irrespective of price...
No consensus was reached.
... or whether even the most ardent denier agrees there are differences but that the price discrepancy between doesn't justify the improvement being experienced?

You appear to be associating difference with improvement. Take care here.

I would wager that a shielded mains cable is typically "better" than an unshielded one but manufacturers can play all sorts of design tricks to help make a cable sound different; to some ears, different might equate to better. It's particularly important to ensure that a cable which sounds almost immediately better than another is not just introducing noise which can initially come across as more life, energy or detail but is in fact just distortion.

Even the humble network cable is suspect here. A standard CATn cable typically has a plastic plug which allows the galvanic isolation inherent in most (all?) ethernet board designs to stop noise crossing through; an "audiophile" cable may have an all-metal termination which connects the two sides and lets any noise cross over. This is likely to be called a "network cable" rather than be certified as CATn-compliant. It may well sound different but it isn't an improvement in any hifi sense.

I'm sure the same applies to other cables to a lesser or great degree. I know of at least one analogue interconnect (which is to most of us premium-priced) which has a conductor which is connected only at one end. Most people wouldn't know this because they wouldn't want to take an expensive cable apart to check but I happened to have one which failed. This may have the effect of increasing the capacitance of the cable without affecting other parameters in the way one might expect. A different sound then, not necessarily better.

One thing I've noticed is thtt if I were to change just one cable in my loom, I do struggle to hear the difference (there was one exception to that, which was between two different SPIDF cables I heard, where I experienced the less expensive cable, which was half the price of the other, as significantly better than the more expensive cable, so much so I got a refund on the more expensive cable to buy the cheaper one), but if I change them all, e.g. change all the mains cables or change all the interconnects, then I do hear a difference.

"Loom"! This was a Nordost marketing invention unless I'm very much mistaken. It implies that there is some sort of magical impact where the whole is more than the sum of the parts ie. if a mains cable has effect A and interconnects have effect B and speaker cables have effect C, if you replace them all then the total sonic impact is greater than A+B+C, especially if they're all from the same range from the same manufacturer! Which is clearly nonsense. There is no synergistic magic going on here, simply a bunch of cables each doing their own thing: the sum is the sum.

I don't doubt the difference you heard, it's merely the sum of the various, possibly marginal, differences you hear in each cable adding up to something bigger.

The degree of improvement I experience is not subtle, but at the same time, it's also the area that's hardest to get VFM (you have to invest a lot of time listening and sourcing options before you find something that does represent VFM).

When I was a HAM there would be audio equipment of neighbours etc. that would suffer from interference from my transmissions. Basically input or speaker cables were picking up the RF and the equipment was not properly limited in its frequency range resulting in the interference.

Same thing is still happening, especially with solid state amplifiers that are capable of working well into the RF range.

Once I experienced an audible differences between two speaker that had cables with different lengths: one was 50cm, the other 150 cm. This happened both on a tube amplifier and a solid state amplifier.

The difference in length made that the longer cable with whatever difference (resistance? inductance? capacitance? impedance?) there was from the shorter tip the crossover into audible ringing.

IMHO The solution is not to start using different cables but to fix the equipment, i.e. if a cable makes a difference then there is something seriously wrong with the gear it has been connected to. I still notice that many pieces of equipment are not having proper EMI filters at the mains input. This is especially important these days with all the switched mode power supplies, LED lightning, speed controllers etc. putting cr@p on the mains. But manufacturs are always trying to get away with the cheapest possible gear and charging the world to "solve" it. YMMV.

Peace.

So did we ever reach consensus on whether the disagreement is between whether all equivalent cables (RCA, XLR, Mains etc) sound the same irrespective of price or whether even the most ardent denier agrees there are differences but that the price discrepancy between doesn't justify the improvement being experienced?

Well...

I'd say: -
1. Few ears are great testers and cables rarely make a huge improvement - diminishing returns hit hard here.
2. Sometimes different is better and sometimes it is just 'different': we presumably all want 'consistently better' not merely different.
3. Cables may well have more unwarranted claims attached (audible or as measured) than any other bit of kit.
4. Human biases matter and allowing for them is hard. So is making a completely convincing one-term test.
5. Details of room and system will matter much more to SQ than cables.
6. Small changes can add up so that 5 X hardly-there-at-all can equal 1 X big improvement.
7. It is rarely cost-effective to pay more than a few % of the total system value for cables.
8. We don't know all that we would need to measure, analyse, model and predict the whole hearing process from CD to brain to a useful degree.
9. Given our aim of greater enjoyment, it is noteworthy how often that is connected with explicitly better sound quality.
10. Experiences may be transitory and subjective, but a decent consensus on kit is surprisingly common and usefully so.
11. Some who say they hear no real and consistent difference ever between A & B say that no-one else can; but not all.
12. Most who think some cables are consistently audibly better would draw a line above which they simply can’t believe any can offer VFM, but without strong consensus on where the line is.
13. The aim of many of the more Objectivist posters is simply to encourage scepticism about spending money on cables.
14. Arguments about measured reality versus subjective hearing are more credible if they are consistent in how they can be applied to cables and (say) amplifiers, CD players and streamers.
15. Not all cables are comparably well shielded, but it is not agreed whether that could ever matter.
16. For music enjoyment, if stated measurements and a consistent consensus differ on A v. B, ears eventually need to be given precedence, given how we hear.
17. Some suitable cables sound significantly better than other suitable cables, and it is not always the more expensive.

Arguments here have not changed anyone’s mind and won’t– that does or does not happen if and when sceptics ‘hear a difference’ they cannot explain away or believers suddenly ‘realise’ they aren’t ‘hearing a difference’ and never did and so it must be all Foo.

I think almost all who have commented here would agree with points 1 – 7. A majority probably agree with most of the rest too, but few will be as vehement on anything as the vigorous (I think) minority’s disagreement with the last 2. Finally, a few Subjectivists may think that point 13 is far from clear.

Despite my verbosity, I think that’s a summary! Is it any use?

I think a Nordost Blue Heaven that I tried made a difference, but not in a good way. God knows what was going on but the mids jumped forwards and the soundstage narrowed significantly. A bright and fatiguing sound. An Atlas cable made my former Naim oscillate. The rest of the cables I have tried may have had differences but these were negligible. That’s why I’ve stuck with Van Damme. The thing is, some like the sound that the Nordost brings just like some like the PRAT that some Naim delivers. It’s all a matter of personal taste in sound and music really.

Well...

6. Small changes can add up so that 5 X hardly-there-at-all can equal 1 X big improvement.

Despite my verbosity, I think that’s a summary! Is it any use?
I think it's a pretty good effort. I take issue with 6 which is in practical terms a beguiling intuitive error of thinking in this context . I say in practical terms because it depends how much weight you put on "can" as in "may conceivably". May conceivably is great for keeping the ball in the air but is little use if we want to think practically, especially bearign in mind that the cable loom is a frequently deployed piece of cable marketing).

I think this seductive error stems from your at-first-glance unobjectionable idea about 0.5% improvements adding up to 5% or whatever. The problem is that this has no really clear meaning however reasonable it may sound.

In the context of cables if two devices make no noticeable difference down to the -130dB level then assuming that one is actually better than the other making a similar quality substution at 5 stages in the chain also almost certainly won't make any difference. This is for at least 2 separate reasons (maybe 10 for all I know, but here are two good ones which all the talk of 0.5% improvements glosses over):
1) at some level spuriae are irrelvant and it does not really matter whether you have (for example) 5 jitter products at -130 dB or none. So 5 "improvements" simply don't add up to one big one. This could conceivably be different if each improvement was reducing exactly the same tone so that they do "add up", but note the pojnt made on another thread that logarithmic scales can be confusing and 5 things at -130dB do not add up to one thing at -26dB. it's still bugger all.
This is very relevant when you are talking about cables because the differences are often/usually/alway either nothing or next to nothing.
2) in most cases there is a noise floor imposed by the weakest link in the chain -sometimes a component but actually very often the recording. if it's analogue or 16 bit or one or other of the above marketed as hi rez then this almost certainly dwarfs anything you are ever going to get from one cable or twenty end-to-end. In the case of most amplifiers and speakers noise and distortion will be significant and the impact of cables may in practical terms be zero.

So I'm afraid 6 is not a particularly helpful notion. 5 x hardly there at all will generally mean hardly there at all.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back