advertisement

Why is a streamer needed in 2022 ?

Through the same dac identical.
Keith
Depends on the DAC. An Intel NUC with supplied power supply with USB into a Benchmark HDR1 will result in so much noise that the music is drowned out, a Mac Mini won't. An Intel NUC into a Chord TT2 won't have noticeable noise, and neither will a Mac Mini although some might get through. I dare say the same can be said of streamers. So, it all depends and as such all is not identical. Just considering the "bits" is very simplistic and the noise which gets through to the analogue stage also needs to be considered. I suspect this where the cost and perhaps benefits of paying more lies. As to whether any particular individual can hear a difference, let alone need to pay often a lot more to address it, is down to them.

Depends on the DAC. An Intel NUC with supplied power supply with USB into a Benchmark HDR1 will result in so much noise that the music is drowned out, a Mac Mini won't. An Intel NUC into a Chord TT2 won't have noticeable noise, and neither will a Mac Mini although some might get through. I dare say the same can be said of streamers. So, it all depends and as such all is not identical. Just considering the "bits" is very simplistic and the noise which gets through to the analogue stage also needs to be considered. I suspect this where the cost and perhaps benefits of paying more lies. As to whether any particular individual can hear a difference, let alone need to pay often a lot more to address it, is down to them.
I've seen Intel NUC mentioned on a few posts and wondered what it is.
Is it just a small footprint Windows PC, that can run Windows 11, that acts like a Mac Mini in the audio/video/browser arena?
Looks quite interesting for the price.

Is it just a small footprint Windows PC, that can run Windows 11, that acts like a Mac Mini in the audio/video/browser arena?
Yes. Often used to run Roon Rock.

It is basically a very small PC which consumes relatively little power from the mains. When configured with a SSD and fitted in a fanless case it runs silently. It works very well for music server duties and I even managed to run HQPlayer with an m-scaler equivalent filter on one. I reckon that they aren’t quite as stable as a MacMini, and they have a wonderful habit of needing a reboot whenever friends come round to listen to some music!
If getting a decent case and SSD it is worth comparing the price with a MacMini although of course the Mac does have a fan but in practice I haven’t heard it operate at all.

For me, choice of computer versus a manufactured streamer comes down to what sort of music I usually play. Streamers seem fine for most music but for classical I need the configurability of a computer.

I see people here using same word "streamer" for devices wich include DAC, like CD Player and devices without it, like CD Transport. That may give mixed experiences here. I also have an amplifier with built in DAC and have some interest to play audio files from local source or internet. That is for visitors, so would like to avoid any necessary setup requirements for them. I also wonder is tablet best option or is there some better purpose built device to use as transport?

A question: Most of my listening is done by going to worldconcerthall.com on my computer and choosing among the concerts being broadcast. the stream is outputted to my DAC via USB. Can I use a streamer for this, and would the sound be better?

Keith, you say this on any streamer thread, so I presume you have actually done the blind tests. Please share your experiences.

Don’t you mean deaf tests?

I changed the power supply on my Node2i and that made a significant difference. So I have to take what Keith says with a pinch of salt.

Keith, you say this on any streamer thread, so I presume you have actually done the blind tests. Please share your experiences.
Yes I have performed the unsighted comparisons, same data through the same dac unsurprisingly sounds identical.
Keith

Over the past decade i have had Mdac, mac mini/ chord hugo/Weiss 202/ Densen 440xs /Rega isis/ linn akurate in my system and still preferred my CDS3.The Naim was a tough decision to let it go , however a Linn Klimax DS3 playing hi res Qobuz is sublime . I will definitely be staying with streaming , not just for the SQ but the convenience , easy setup and and one box source makes it hard not to like

Yes I have performed the unsighted comparisons, same data through the same dac unsurprisingly sounds identical.
Keith
please tell us how many pieces of equipment you have blind tested and in what combinations. It would need many pieces of equipment with properly documented tests and other testees to come to a firm conclusion, particularly if you “expect” there not to be a difference. Otherwise yours is just anecdote, same as mine! Nothing wrong with that of course other than everyone of your posts advertises your business whose USP appears to be that everything sounds the same :D.

I see people here using same word "streamer" for devices wich include DAC, like CD Player and devices without it, like CD Transport. That may give mixed experiences here. I also have an amplifier with built in DAC and have some interest to play audio files from local source or internet. That is for visitors, so would like to avoid any necessary setup requirements for them. I also wonder is tablet best option or is there some better purpose built device to use as transport?
I use my tablet or phone because it is convenient, they run the latest version of Android, have up to date processors etc and run QoBuzz app or webplayer...

advertisement

Back