advertisement

Banana Plugs....current choices/bargains out there??

I used to use Deltron Plugs, and still do for everything but speaker connectors, they are very good and will take up to a 3.5mm dia soldered cable.
But the actual contact area in a 4mm socket is about 50% with the spring bar on one side and the 3.8mm plug on the other side there is a visible gap around 50% of the circ.
The Z-plugs are actually 4.1mm but spring loaded so you get 98% contact with a 4mm socket and they can take up to 6mm cable if you open them up a bit with the pointy nose pliers then crimp them down and solder them, finish with shrink wrap and they give a very tight neat looking connection IMHO :)
Alan

I use Deltron but also Naim two pin plugs too, I was surprised to discover that the Naim plug pitch between pins is the same as my ATC speakers

Because not everyone has a soldering iron powerful enough to properly solder thick cables. I good screw fixing would be better than a bad solder joint.
It's been a long time since I tried, but last time I soldered thick speaker cable onto a banana plug I think I ended up having to use a blow torch! (I'd got a soldering iron...)

I used Argon Audio Basic Banana when I made new cables. Ditched the screws and soldered instead.

Well...Z-plugs arrived....still wanting to ascertain the correct gauge/size of cable that is going to be most suitable here.
I have amps positioned very close to the Briks (2 longest cables 1.5m...others 1m or less....Aktiv setup, so 6 in all)
Noticed that the wisdom seems to be to go 'thick' as possible (thinking cable here BTW :) )

Whoops.....can see that 337alant can fit 6mm2 into these....but given my 'short' runs, wondering if that'd be necessary??

Great....plenty of +ves there...thanks!
Are any of the simpler 'Z' plugs also worth considering???

All of my speaker cables use 2 screw z plugs. They are cheap, provide a good contact and firm fit and look nice and tidy once sheathed up in some red or black heat shrink. Making smart looking speaker cables is about the limit of my Hi Fi DIY competence.

Well...Z-plugs arrived....still wanting to ascertain the correct gauge/size of cable that is going to be most suitable here.
I have amps positioned very close to the Briks (2 longest cables 1.5m...others 1m or less....Aktiv setup, so 6 in all)
Noticed that the wisdom seems to be to go 'thick' as possible (thinking cable here BTW :) )

Whoops.....can see that 337alant can fit 6mm2 into these....but given my 'short' runs, wondering if that'd be necessary??
I would very much doubt anything would sound different or better than Van Damme 2.5mm in that use case.

I dont think you need to go thicker than 2.5mm², heavier gauges are likely to give issues with lateral forces due to the weight of the cable.

Im a fan of Mogami cables , but im sure van damme are also very good.

....thinking that I'll be able to 'dress' the cable so as to be weightless at the key points....
Nice avatar, BTW. My father has a 1979 Ibanez Maccaferri MAC 10 signed by the great man himself. Lovely guitar. I've inherited his love of Django, but not his talent.

Nice avatar, BTW. My father has a 1979 Ibanez Maccaferri MAC 10 signed by the great man himself. Lovely guitar. I've inherited his love of Django, but not his talent.

IIRC... and I may be way out here... wasn't there a Maccaferri plastic saxophone? Yes plastic... and I believe Bird played one for a while...

advertisement

Back