advertisement

RIP Denmark St

I guess no-one wants to 'out' themselves as 'hideously ugly'.

Oddly enough, it's a description that would definitely befit my avatar. Would I be hasty in saying 'now there's a thing', or am I just being a little oversensitive?

The city has been stolen by the mega wealthy.

More actively sold to the mega wealthy by a fundamentally corrupt Conservative Party. The trajectory/rot was well evident when Johnson was Mayor, it has just been vastly accelerated now the Conservative Party as a whole is little more than a money-laundering front for a global oligarchy. The damage to the UK is so catastrophic I have no idea how it can be reversed at this point. There is certainly no appetite within the existing political establishment.

More actively sold to the mega wealthy by a fundamentally corrupt Conservative Party.
Inaccurate as non-conservative controlled boroughs are just as bad.
The road in Lambeth which I grew up on recently completed cleansing, and is now 100% a sqillionaires row.

Inacturate. Non-conservative controlled boroughs are just as bad.
The road in Lambeth which I grew up on recently completed cleansing, and is now 100% a sqillionaires row.

The Legacy of Sadiq Kahn.

and you're right in this, Lewisham, never not a Labour borough has seen the most authoritarian and absolutist assault on the working class person ever in the past five years..while the Chinese bought millionaire high rises flats continue to be erected at an alarming pace. But you know, there are so nice pavements and shrubs so visitors can feel 'joyous'.

Partly. Most Lambeth councillors seem content with the social cleansing that goes hand in hand with developer money.

Lambeth got hit really hard with the social cleansing, the folk from the estates down Albany Road pretty much got evicted with no hope of local rehousing so that the millionaires flats could be erected in their place.

Its happening in Lewisham now they have used up all the free space and evicted all the local industrial unit businesses.

Agree that it's not a left/right issue when it comes to local government. The Labour dominated council in Greenwich has been in the pocket of property developers for years.

I guess they would argue that cuts by central government leave them with no choice. Who knows.

The Legacy of Sadiq Kahn.
No. The real estate craze is mainly due to historically low interest rates for the past 15-20 years, no matter who was steering London's wheel. Situation is exactly the same all over Europe, in cities and smalltowns alike. The phenomenon is of course most extreme in metropoles like London, Paris etc. because it's sort of 'fashionable' to have a second home in Chelsea or Kensington. But none of us could ever afford a london flat there, even 20 years ago, so the effects on us are limited.

I read over and over again that Lefties are supposed to be less into money than Righties, this baffles me every time. There's not a millimeter of difference between the two.

Spitalfields and the area around Denmark Street were clearly already on borrowed time from the developers when I started frequenting them in the late 90's. I lived near Spitalfields for years and had a lot of friends round Denmark street right up until most of the tenants were given notice to quit in early 2015 (IIRC). Very often used to start and/or finish my Friday nights in someone or other's workshop via the 12 bar. I helped at least one workshop (also known to Jack Barron of this parish, if he's still reading) move when they were kicked out.

That both these areas remained as scuzzy as they did for as long as they did was a minor miracle and I am very grateful to have experienced that side of central London first hand before it disappeared.

It also feels pointless to be angry about it. As I get older, I feel increasingly accepting of the inevitable transience of communities and the built environment and it all feels very inconsequential when set against the damage wrought on the natural environment by our species.

It also feels pointless to be angry about it. As I get older, I feel increasingly accepting of the inevitable transience of communities and the built environment
+1. When I look at urbanism today, I see that an awful lot of good things have been done in recent years. In Germany and France, possibly England too, cities are far less congested than they used to be. A healthy evolution overall IMO.

Record shops are a thing of the past, they won't come back. Last weekend I walked past one I had never seen in Berne, I went in purely for the smell and the memories that come with it, but I don't see why I should buy anything. The output of guitar music is dwindling, compared to the zillionbytes of electronic music published every day on Soundcloud. So guitar shops will die out one after another, just like photo laboratories did, and offset printing plants currently are. Youngsters barely know what they were useful for and they will never ever need them.

Last edited:
The output of guitar music is dwindling, compared to the zillionbytes of electronic music published every day on Soundcloud. So guitar shops will die out one after another, just like photo laboratories did, and offset printing plants currently are.

There is massive amounts of guitar music being produced, really astonishing amounts. The market has just changed. The new guitar market largely owned by mail-order giants like Andertons, Thomann, GAK etc, the second hand market has shifted pretty much entirely to eBay and Reverb, and there is a very healthy boutique market for luthier-built guitars, small-run independent FX pedals and hand-wired guitar amps like never before in history. I’d actually argue it was in the best of health, it is a massive industry. Some of the corporate practices at the top can be highly dubious, but the smaller boutique level is the very definition of thriving small business. The guitar FX industry has gone crazy, just do much choice! It is a vastly more healthy industry than audio.

That said I’d still have expected a few of the world-renown London guitar shops to remain viable had the corporate parasites not destroyed Denmark St.

Denmark street has gone, get over it and move on. How are we gonna change the system, unlikely we/he/they ever will.

London is a place for commerce and money and the buildings should reflect that. Denmark Street had deteriorated to being a complete and utter dump, It had to go to.

I suspect that the shops traded off nostalgia because value for money it was not.

I can remember back in the 1970s when motorcycle shops were back street dumps and were closing down left right and centre. Today the shops are totally up market and are in massive retail outlets and have revitalised the industry proving that change is nearly always good.

There is nothing to stop the guitar shops doing the same.

advertisement

Back