advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Noticed some remarkable barns on stone discs to stop the rats i guess

Beware, they stamp about in sticky stuff before scaling the stones to the grain store.

Think you are correct though, cannot immediately think of any other reason other than keeping it dry.

Thanks Mull! Not terribly unexpected as it’s in the family but still a shock to get the first big one when I was out on my own. Ablation is probably a way off as with luck the right drugs will keep it under control. Does mean a more moderate life from now on as I’m on blood thinners plus the need to avoid overstimulation (oooh nurse!) until it’s under control.
What drugs are you on? I think I became an expert when my wife had the condition. She didn't quite make it to ablation.

Risked the Dartford Crossing to go to IKEA and Costco. Not my idea of fun but sometimes you have to do some things. A family BBQ this evening rounded the weekend off nicely.

Cheers BB

cooked a tomahawk medium-rare, with roasted rosemary and salt potatoes, burnt onion and a tomato salad

20220807-193248.jpg

wow , hopefully drugs like digoxin may help

What drugs are you on? I think I became an expert when my wife had the condition. She didn't quite make it to ablation.

Thanks for your concern guys. The big dose in A&E was digoxin and I’m on a low dose as well. I did see a cardiologist last week (urgent 2 week consult that was 9 weeks..) after a suspected but not proved episode in June. She started me on a blood thinner (apixaban) to decrease the risk of stroke if I had a definite episode (which I did 23 hours later!). I suspect she will switch me from digoxin to something more up to date. More appointments and assessments are likely next month.

There was talk of a ‘pill in the pocket’ which needs a clear echocardiogram before it can be prescribed. Haven’t researched that yet (I’m a biochemist, remember) but apparently it stops an episode, but with some discomfort.

Beyond that, moderation in everything is the order of the day. Felt ok today, but a little light clearing up in the garden started a short-lived episode which left me sat on the sofa for the rest of the day. Looks like a change in lifestyle - not that I’m exactly an exercise freak - is my fate.

Today I have been mainly walking in the Wye Valley. A walk that we did around last Christmas, which involved much slipping and sliding (and me ending up on my backside whilst trying to get over a stile) was easy-peasy now the ground is so dry.

We passed some people about to do some rock climbing on a very sheer cliff. Not for the first time I wondered why people do that sort of thing. Still, it could be worse. They could be going down potholes.

Yep, recall that one. Trying to remember the nasty (but highly effective) drug that stays in your body for a year after stopping it. Causes Thyroid problems.

Wont be given that - my thyroid is stuffed already! Is amiodarone the one? I’m expecting to end up on flecainide and bisoprolol

Today I have been mainly walking in the Wye Valley. A walk that we did around last Christmas, which involved much slipping and sliding (and me ending up on my backside whilst trying to get over a stile) was easy-peasy now the ground is so dry.

We passed some people about to do some rock climbing on a very sheer cliff. Not for the first time I wondered why people do that sort of thing. Still, it could be worse. They could be going down potholes.
Or cave diving…

Indeed. I get wobbly going up a stepladder, but the idea of going deep underground and never coming up again is pretty damn scary.

I imagine this is a pretty common feeling. When I was young, I had no fear of heights or depths. I spent plenty of time on roofs, and even parachuted once. Have been in lots of caves too. About 20 years ago, Mrs. Hook’s uncle took me a couple of kilometers down a gold mine. Not a problem at all. Then, about 10 years ago, I lost confidence going up a two-story ladder. Haven’t been back up since. Can still climb short ladders, but avoid it if I can. Am also done with our subterranean world - no interest or desire and, yes, I do have a bit of new found fear.

My latest phobia seems to be water. Have spent a lot of time on lakes, rivers and oceans, and have been a kayaker for most of my adult life. Will still go for a paddle, but now stick close to shore. No interest at all in open water, or in being on a bigger boat. These are strange feelings for me, and not ones I ever expected to have to deal with.

Taking it easy recovering from my first real bout of atrial fibrillation that took me from the yoghourt aisle in Waitrose to the local A&E for 7 hours*! Took that long for 2 ECGs, a blood sample and a dose of a drug to slow my heart rate. Not going to criticise the staff who were under-resourced and never stopped charging around to get stuff done.

* yes, I’ve heard all the jokes about the price of Greek-style yoghourt…..
All the best. Take it easy.
Starting to feel quite nervous now! Today I am doing a 15000ft skydive! Aaaaah!

Sort of came up with the plan on a whim and it has been cancelled 3 times previously due to COVID or poor weather. However, today the weather is awesome and so I will almost certainly be doing it.

Never done it before. Now shitting my pants somewhat!
Home now. Did it. Was amazing. Absolutely unbelievable and like nothing I've ever experienced. Easily best thing I've ever done bar the feeling of when your kids are born.

I was weirdly calm, ice cube cool, all the way up in the plane. Until the doors opened then the first few seconds of pure terror followed by a massive wave of adrenaline and just utterly amazing.

I paid for a guy to jump out before me first too. So will now frame some photos of it and go on the wall.

I would recommend that to everyone. Utterly mind-blowing. Wow!

Yep, recall that one. Trying to remember the nasty (but highly effective) drug that stays in your body for a year after stopping it. Causes Thyroid problems.

Edit: It is Amiodarone
mil been on amiidarone for years with no problems .when i read all the sideffects i nearly had a fit but she has been fine

advertisement

Back