advertisement

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

This is a joke, right? Or course it is. A pavement is a footway.
No, I don’t think it is. I see a lot of kids riding bikes on footpaths, should they be arrested?

I think there is an expectation that riders on footways should be below a certain speed, 10mph from memory. I rarely see adults riding on footpaths, doesn’t particularly bother me to be honest.

No, I don’t think it is. I see a lot of kids riding bikes on footpaths, should they be arrested?

I think there is an expectation that riders on footways should be below a certain speed, 10mph from memory. I rarely see adults riding on footpaths, doesn’t particularly bother me to be honest.
No, it's illegal. Obviously if you're under 10 we can look the other way. But adults on paths at any speed is illegal. I remember seeing a police docu on the TV where one of the encounters was with a guy o n a bike on the pavement, obviously half cut. Plod told him to stop and get off and push, that riding a bike on the pavement was illegal. He ignored them, they nicked him. He got barrack room lawyer with them, arrest ed and charged. Later fined £700 in court. Serves him right for being an arse.

No, it's illegal. Obviously if you're under 10 we can look the other way. But adults on paths at any speed is illegal. I remember seeing a police docu on the TV where one of the encounters was with a guy o n a bike on the pavement, obviously half cut. Plod told him to stop and get off and push, that riding a bike on the pavement was illegal. He ignored them, they nicked him. He got barrack room lawyer with them, arrest ed and charged. Later fined £700 in court. Serves him right for being an arse.
I stand corrected. I have just looked this up & found the following really interesting:https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/whats-legal-and-whats-not-your-bike

The above may also be of interest to those who seem to feel that cyclists can do what they like & their are no laws governing them.

It does look as though cycling on the pavement is to be treated with certain considerations from the police though.

The generally applied rule in the uk is unaccompanied kids under 12 can us the pavement. But police can lean either way depending on circumstances.

On the odd occasion where routing requires the use of pavement, which is almost never in Sheffield I usually take out one foot and freewheel or if busy I'll push. I'll never weave through pedestrians, that's a dick move.

And I'll almost always chase down cyclists who run red lights, when I'm on my bike, to explain that being seen running red lights negatively affects the road safety of all other cyclists.

The generally applied rule in the uk is unaccompanied kids under 12 can us the pavement. But police can lean either way depending on circumstances.

On the odd occasion where routing requires the use of pavement, which is almost never in Sheffield I usually take out one foot and freewheel or if busy I'll push. I'll never weave through pedestrians, that's a dick move.

And I'll almost always chase down cyclists who run red lights, when I'm on my bike, to explain that being seen running red lights negatively affects the road safety of all other cyclists.
There’s only one bit of pavement I use, around the back of Division St where a no entry sign has been placed at the bottom of a road with a defunct cycle lane. It’s a bit odd & I need to find a better alternative.

And I'll almost always chase down cyclists who run red lights, when I'm on my bike, to explain that being seen running red lights negatively affects the road safety of all other cyclists

You are wasting your time and risking a confrontation. They don't care what you think, and one day it's likely that your actions will result in some sort of violent response from a knuckledragger.

In my experience, quite often the engine stops because the air filter is waterlogged. Leave the engine for ten minutes and enough air gets through to allow the engine to start and run for ten seconds. Remove the air filter, and it’ll run like a good un.

Not my old 328i - followed other cars through what was probably less than 8" of water, car ingested water, hydrolocked and trashed the engine! The dealer had 7 328's in that evening with the same trashed engine cause. Apparently something to do with the position of the air intake and brake cooling ducts that caused water to be thrown up into the intake - not sure how it gets through the filter, I guess the turbo must suck hard!

Not my old 328i - followed other cars through what was probably less than 8" of water, car ingested water, hydrolocked and trashed the engine! The dealer had 7 328's in that evening with the same trashed engine cause. Apparently something to do with the position of the air intake and brake cooling ducts that caused water to be thrown up into the intake - not sure how it gets through the filter, I guess the turbo must suck hard!

On my VW bora TDi the under tray came away at its front edge as I drove through fairly shallow water. The tray scooped the water up into the engine bay, and the car stopped. It was on the airfield ring road at work, so I left it there and walked the rest of the way in.
Returned at tea break, and long story short: popped the glow plugs out and turned the starter. engine turned freely, and the water was ejected out of the plug holes, followed by diesel. Plugs back in, engine turned then started, ran for a few seconds, water pouring from the exhaust, then it stalled. Removed the air filter, it was drenched, engine ran fine.

I do wonder how many people have their dead car recovered to a garage who then do what I did and charge a few grand...

You are wasting your time and risking a confrontation. They don't care what you think, and one day it's likely that your actions will result in some sort of violent response from a knuckledragger.

It's all in the presentation.

advertisement

Back