advertisement

RIP Denmark St

A good piece in today's Observer on the awfulness of the development.

“radical new technology-driven marketing, entertainment and information service housed in a super-flexible, digitally enabled streetscape...”

Still at least you can stay in a £450 a night hotel room with “strong accents of punk rock” and “a rebellious statement piece”.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...redevelopment-soho?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

where, for £456 a night and upwards, you can stay like a rock star in “session rooms” decked out in mahogany and burgundy velvet and “antique brass” and “industrial concrete”, pre-vandalised with curated graffiti

Vomit inducing just reading that.

Very sad, it represents the very soul being ripped out of London. This history is way more important and relevant than monarchy etc IMO. It has been happening for years and millions of us signed various petitions etc, but nothing can stop the vacuous cancer of property speculation. Vile.

I've walked round there a few times recently, and like the new look. No street can be maintained as museum....

Very sad, it represents the very soul being ripped out of London. This history is way more important and relevant than monarchy etc IMO. It has been happening for years and millions of us signed various petitions etc, but nothing can stop the vacuous cancer of property speculation. Vile.

Not to mention the vacuous cancer of cultural trash touted as "exciting."
Vomit vomit.

Does that mean all the guitar shops are gone?

A lot of the guitar shops are still there. Though it kind of feels like they've become window dressing for the “immersive entertainment district ... where music, film, art, gaming and retail experiences come to life in new breathtaking ways”.

A lot of the guitar shops are still there. Though it kind of feels like they've become window dressing for the “immersive entertainment district ... where music, film, art, gaming and retail experiences come to life in new breathtaking ways”.

"Entertainment"? Pity they demolished the Astoria... :mad:

"Entertainment"? Pity they demolished the Astoria... :mad:

Crossrail did for the Astoria. I'll confess I had mixed feeling about seeing it go. I've been to some amazing gigs there (including the Pet Shop Boys on Valentines Day!) but as a teenager it was notorious for aggressive bouncers beating the crap out of audience members at metal gigs. I saw it happen to friends first hand. A small part of me said 'good riddance'.

London is an increasingly stupid place. It's my home town and where I spent the first 40 years of my life, and for most of that time I couldn't imagine wanting to live anywhere else. But it's lost almost everything that was great about it now. There are more good record shops and venues to see great music in the little seaside town I live in than there are now in London.

Crossrail did for the Astoria. I'll confess I had mixed feeling about seeing it go. I've been to some amazing gigs there (including the Pet Shop Boys on Valentines Day!) but as a teenager it was notorious for aggressive bouncers beating the crap out of audience members at metal gigs. I saw it happen to friends first hand. A small part of me said 'good riddance'.

I've been to loads of gigs at the Astoria, and it was a dump, I won't miss it

what happens in London is joyous - regeneration and reforming are what a great city does

what happens in London is joyous - regeneration and reforming are what a great city does

Its not the regeneration that's the issue, its how it's done, and in London an awful lot of it has been done lamentably. The Thames corridor and the old enclosed docks must rank amongst the greatest missed opportunities ever. I could weep at what's been thrown away.

It is always the same; the yuppies come in, the creativity, art and culture gets pushed out. “Gentrification” always equals destruction. It is cultural cleansing by the artless and talentless.

advertisement

Back