advertisement

Trainers

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
My trusty Mills (UK made) trainers are flagging as is the wearer.
Any suggestions please for comfortable easy walking trainers, for street and field walking only.

I walk 4 miles every morning thanks to hybrid working and I decided to see if my trusty Brooks Adrenaline were up to the task. They very much are.

do you have a budget in mind?

do you have unusually wide feet?

I like my Meindl walking shoes https://www.meindl.co.uk/product/mens/shoes/ontario-gtx/ but they don't support my ankles well

my goto ones are from On-Running (Cloud venture waterproof) https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/products/cloudventure-waterproof/mens/denim-midnight these are very comfy, waterproof and are brilliantly supportive for my ankles. But they are not really intended for urban walking, so I only get 2 years out of a pair. I notice they have introduced ranges that look like they are intended for urban walking.

do you have a budget in mind?

do you have unusually wide feet?

I like my Meindl walking shoes https://www.meindl.co.uk/product/mens/shoes/ontario-gtx/ but they don't support my ankles well,

my goto ones are from On-Running (Cloud venture waterproof) https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/products/cloudventure-waterproof/mens/denim-midnight these are very comfy, waterproof and are brilliantly supportive for my ankles. But they are not really intended for urban walking, so I only get 2 years out of a pair. I notice they have introduced ranges that look like they are intended for urban walking.

good questions Simon, budget wise £100 max, plates of meat are on the wider side but not excessively so. I think I would not mind some that will also serve for social events. In inclement weather I wear boots for walking so trainers stay relatively clean.
I am at a stage now where I only need 3 or 4 items of footwear, all shoes that need polish have gone.

Vivobarefoot. Thin soles takes some getting used to, but they make you use your whole foot when walking and have helped me get over heel problems and plantar fasciitis issues. Also, because you feel the ground under your feet, they encourage a gait of rolling your foot through the stride and walk with a better posture that has helped with knee and back problems.

“If there is a recession, how long will it last, and how bad will it be?”

The answer to this question is in the power of the government. As the economy goes into recession more people save due to worrying about the future and investment falls so there is less money in the economy to buy goods and services. The cycle repeats itself until the economy settles into some kind of unemployment equilibrium if there is never anything on the horizon to improve expectations and encourage investment. So to answer the question, given the shocks of the oil price rises, and food, this would be expected to be the start of a long and bad recession.

However, there is a solution. The government can intervene by employing the labour that the private sector does not want. This will also mean that a reasonable level of demand can be maintained in the economy so that the recession will be shorter and less bad. Also, the government can increase the size of the public sector by nationalising utilities and public transport. The smaller the private sector, the smaller the impact of the recession.

A recession is something that happens in the non-government capitalist sector and is a reflection of business confidence. When there is an estimated decline in future demand then it is likely that firms will reduce investment and some will shut down causing unemployment and falling production. Such a fall in business expectations was well covered in the General Theory.

The supply shocks of these past few years have clearly caused a decline in profitability which will result in firms with poor liquidity going to the wall and others failing to expand when they would otherwise.

Solomon are very good, should be able to get a pair of walking shoes or cross country trainers well within budget. They do come up small so half a size up usually works.

“If there is a recession, how long will it last, and how bad will it be?”

The answer to this question is in the power of the government. As the economy goes into recession more people save due to worrying about the future and investment falls so there is less money in the economy to buy goods and services. The cycle repeats itself until the economy settles into some kind of unemployment equilibrium if there is never anything on the horizon to improve expectations and encourage investment. So to answer the question, given the shocks of the oil price rises, and food, this would be expected to be the start of a long and bad recession.

However, there is a solution. The government can intervene by employing the labour that the private sector does not want. This will also mean that a reasonable level of demand can be maintained in the economy so that the recession will be shorter and less bad. Also, the government can increase the size of the public sector by nationalising utilities and public transport. The smaller the private sector, the smaller the impact of the recession.

well at least you didn’t mention MMT in a shoe thread:)

Solomon are very good, should be able to get a pair of walking shoes or cross country trainers well within budget. They do come up small so half a size up usually works.

salomon - good shoes, used to be my go to, but started to come up narrow so I moved to on-running

Sorry, but even here in Federerland, On shoes have an appalling reputation in terms of quality. My sister in law bought three pairs, all for daily walking, and none lasted longer than six months. Given their stratospheric price, I’m inclined to call them a rip-off.

sorry but all of mine (5 pairs in total) have lasted well (2 years or more) despite me wearing on surfaces they were not designed for. They get worn on a daily basis.

I have never paid what i consider a stratospheric price.

My assessment does not align with your

I generally use ex-running shoes - i.e. the ones that have lost their bounce (usually after about 500km of running). They usually have loads more life as general walking shoes after that- often another 1000km+ - before I retire them.

My running shoe of choice is the Mizuno Wave; variants of this shoe cover light trail as well (the Daichi). They also last much longer than Hoka or Brooks in my experience.

…my goto ones are from On-Running (Cloud venture waterproof) https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/products/cloudventure-waterproof/mens/denim-midnight these are very comfy, waterproof and are brilliantly supportive for my ankles. But they are not really intended for urban walking, so I only get 2 years out of a pair. I notice they have introduced ranges that look like they are intended for urban walking.

I've two pairs of On-Running trainers (although my running days are very much in the past), one pair of which is waterproof, plus a pair of their walking boots. Had them for a few years now, & they've now changed the designs. They've been very comfy, and despite being lightweight they've proved to be very durable. Only beefs are the soles, which in my pairs trap stones, and the boots which ain't very waterproof, although in the latter case a few coats of neat Nikwax painted on have sorted that out.

advertisement

Back