advertisement

Local Bus Company ceased operating

RoA

pfm Member
A bus company in Bournemouth, Yellow Buses, has ceased trading after 120 years of operation. Another sad victim of the current economic climate.

Sad for me because I worked for the company some 20 years ago and I have still seen many of my ex-colleagues driving until recently.

Yellow buses, as well as More Buses drove throughout the pandemic to help people get to front line jobs.

Bournemouth is already a shadow of it's former self with many of the large High Street Names having disappeared over the last few years. Debenhams, Beales as well as Cinemas, the Ice Rink, large Pool Hall amongst many other smaller and medium sized businesses not trading anymore.

Westover Road with its beautiful buildings and Bournemouth Gardens next to it, once the pride of Bournemouth, is mostly boarded up, deteriating slowly and quietly.

The Royal Bath Hotel, once a superb Hotel and one of the landmarks of the town overlooking the miles of sandy beaches and joint with the famous Russel Cotes Museum/Galery, was sold to a cheap Hotel Chain and has been run into the ground. In need of major renovation it is a sad sight.

What will the future hold for this and many similar towns?

I am glad and fortunate I have experienced Bournemouth in a different light in the 30 years I have lived here after immigrating from my country of birth but I am not sad to leave it for another country altogether at the end of this year.

Same sort of thing happening up the road from me in Yeovil, and across the country by all accounts. Some of the larger shops and several smaller premises are closed and boarded up, various sites such as the old cattle market and gloving factory left to deteriorate after years of being left unused and undeveloped. There are very few independent shops left in the centre, and those that remain are mainly phone repair places, vape shops, and a few cafés. I can quite imagine the bus company here going down the pan as the few people using it seem to be pensioners with free bus passes - the crazy cost of tickets and patchy timetable means that it's far cheaper and vastly more convenient for me to to drive or cycle into town.

The town centres haven't been able to cope with the rise of the internet and the Government and councils haven't shown the imagination required to do anything about it. I think it's all got to hit rock bottom before it starts bouncing back. I have no idea when that might be but feel that we're still in a downwards spiral.

There are some towns that seem to be doing better so it's not like this everywhere. I will be looking to move to a different area in a couple of years and a local town that still has some life in it will be a prime consideration.

Bournemouth is already a shadow of it's former self

unsurprisingly not unique to Bournemouth centre.

Interestingly our smallish town in Herts is having a bit of a resurgence - why.....well they have knocked down all the old low rise large retail units that no one wanted - and replaced with housing (both private and social housing). On the ground floor there are smaller retail units attracting new shops. Additionally, the consolidated 3 ground level car parks into one multi-storey and are building more housing in place of the two. I dont know where the money is coming from, but i haven't seen the town centre busier in decades. Just needs a decent pub in the town centre.

We have a new S Asian shop, a new SE Asian shop and a new massive E. European supermarket, a refurbished local bakery/coffee shop.....As new residents move in, it seems demands for the shops is growing. The other week, my mate Mo couldnt find us a table on a Friday night in his restaurant. Despite alot of locals moaning about how it isnt what it used to be (a derelict mess of a town centre) - i feel a prickle of optimism....

Our town has one bus company that provides a service that terminates at Macclesfield at one end and Stockport at the other. It’s an hourly service that starts at 07.30 and ends at 19.30. It is on its third franchise company in ten years because it is completely unviable. It seems to be used almost wholly by pensioners.

we have two bus companies. Service is patchy at best. For a night out we need to go to the next town along (St Albans 4.5miles away). The bus costs £10 for the two us one way. The busses stop running about 19:30, so to get back we need to take a taxi (about £17 one way for the two of us). So somewhere around £27-£30 return for the two of us.

To get to London on the train, costs about £25 (with a two together card) return for the two of us .....To get to another town Hitchin by train (4 stops) with as good choices as St Albans costs £12 return for two.

The busses here are dirty and are often cancelled and routes are being shut

I see Yellow Buses have blamed inflation and rising fuel costs as well as declining revenue. I'm sure lots of other bus operators are facing similar problems - there's only so much you can put up ticket prices.

Now and then we dream about moving out to the sticks and living the good life but neither of us drive and rural bus services always seem to be four times a day and £8 or something for a 30 min ride. No wonder everyone just drives instead. I'm not sure it's really possible to live outside a city in the UK without a car.

There are some towns that seem to be doing better so it's not like this everywhere. I will be looking to move to a different area in a couple of years and a local town that still has some life in it will be a prime consideration.

We very nearly moved to Somerset (Castle Cary) but chose the Cotswolds (north) instead. The towns here are thriving. For a start, the councils seem to have the right attitude. You can park in the town with no charge. They encourage people to come and spend time and money. The businesses are doing well, hotels full. There is only 1 chain restaurant (pizza place) in the town. It’s all independent shops, cafes, cracking pubs, bars and restaurants. 2 (fabulous) independent butchers in a town with a population of 4,500, plus all the farm shops around. Brilliant transport links (you could live without a car), stunning countryside and walks, achingly beautiful towns and villages, very friendly locals. On balance, the best place I’ve ever lived, should have moved years ago.

We very nearly moved to Somerset (Castle Cary) but chose the Cotswolds (north) instead. The towns here are thriving. For a start, the councils seem to have the right attitude. You can park in the town with no charge. They encourage people to come and spend time and money. The businesses are doing well, hotels full. There is only 1 chain restaurant (pizza place) in the town. It’s all independent shops, cafes, cracking pubs and restaurants. 2 (fabulous) independent butchers in a town with a population of 4,500, plus all the farm shops around. Brilliant transport links (you could live without a car), stunning countryside and walks, achingly beautiful towns and villages, very friendly locals. On balance, the best place I’ve ever lived, should have moved years ago.

Cotswolds - primarily powered by tourism?

Stepford wives country.
Not for me.
I much prefer Northumberland.
Countryside just as beautiful, lovely villages but without the new build blight that seems to affect everywhere in the Cotswolds.

A real shame. Only the Coaching part is being retained; bought by National Express Group.

Also another challenge is actually finding- and retaining drivers.

That's because we're generally treated like shit.

Cotswolds - primarily powered by tourism?

Tourists, yes. They spend lots of money. Which means facilities are brilliant and businesses keep going all year round. It’s really not that bad, just avoid places like Bourton on the Water on a hot day. No shortage of villages (which all have brilliant pubs) which aren’t overcrowded. It’s nothing like as busy as Henley for example and makes Cornwall look like a zoo.

Tourists, yes. They spend lots of money. Which means facilities are brilliant and businesses keep going all year round. It’s really not that bad, just avoid places like Bourton on the Water on a hot day. No shortage of villages (which all have brilliant pubs) which aren’t overcrowded. It’s nothing like as busy as Henley for example and makes Cornwall look like a zoo.

you are the lucky one.............not all towns are sustained by tourism.

you are the lucky one.............not all towns are sustained by tourism.

Lots of locals too who spend money. Works as a real place to live as well. I can jump on a train into Oxford and Paddington. Going the other way I picked my wife up from BHX yesterday, took 50 mins.

The re-imagining of the high street is a very interesting phenomena. Sheffield is going through a major change in its centre which I think will be for the better; previous developer of choice did nothing but squander public money. Currently, the council is taking on the project & doing a good job in my eyes; obviously as this is a northern city the natives do a lot of moaning;)

Lots of locals too who spend money. Works as a real place to live as well. I can jump on a train into Oxford and Paddington. Going the other way I picked my wife up from BHX yesterday, took 50 mins.

that is nice, you've fallen on your feet - but sorry try living in a more urban environment.....

We very nearly moved to Somerset (Castle Cary) but chose the Cotswolds (north) instead. The towns here are thriving. For a start, the councils seem to have the right attitude. You can park in the town with no charge. They encourage people to come and spend time and money. The businesses are doing well, hotels full. There is only 1 chain restaurant (pizza place) in the town. It’s all independent shops, cafes, cracking pubs, bars and restaurants. 2 (fabulous) independent butchers in a town with a population of 4,500, plus all the farm shops around. Brilliant transport links (you could live without a car), stunning countryside and walks, achingly beautiful towns and villages, very friendly locals. On balance, the best place I’ve ever lived, should have moved years ago.

I think you chose well. Castle Cary is ok and the general area is quite nice but the town only has a certain amount to offer. It's main selling point has been the relatively easy access to London via the conveniently located railway line.
I grew up near Stroud and visit fairly regularly. It's definitely not the most attractive place in the Cotswolds but it's got a lot going on in the town and surrounding area. I'd consider a move back there but it's become very expensive of late and my better half wants to be closer to the sea rather that further away. I have half an eye on Bridport (if we can afford it).

advertisement

Back