advertisement

Recommend a cartridge for a Rega RB250 / Technics SL1210

rhgbristol

pfm Member
As per the title, a forthcoming project will be a Technics SL1210, fitted with a Rega RB250 arm.
The RB 250 has been recently overhauled professionally with the Michell Technoweight and Incognito arm wiring kit.

Preference would be for a MM, although could accommodate easily MC on the pre-amplifier.

Would be interested to hear peoples’ experiences and views.

thankyou.

Easy!

Goldring 1042 - Sings like a canary on a rb250 with this deck.

I've used the rb250/1042 combo on my Gyrodec and my 1210 for nearly two decades now and have no desire to change. It's a big, bold sound with great bass and plenty of detail, once set up correctly.

My 1042 were picky and needed arm height adjust
Get it right its a great cartridge with a very fine Gyger stylus tip too.

How much higher do you rate the 760slc over the 540ml? Have you ever had both - tempted to try the slc in a 440 or 540 body.

How much higher do you rate the 760slc over the 540ml? Have you ever had both - tempted to try the slc in a 440 or 540 body.
Ha you got me there. I haven't actually heard the SLC (only the 540 and Shibata profile) but planning on getting an SLC stylus with RigB body to find out exactly how much better it is !
FWIW though owners of the SLC cart i have spoken to do say it takes things to a much more refined level than the microline as its using the same stylus profile as the ART9 MC cart.
I also know from using them myself that the 500/700 series MM carts have a superb synergy with the Technics range of decks and the Rega arms.

I agree that those ATs marry so well with the Techies. Just edged out by a DV10x5 at the moment but it’s very close. I might get an SLC stylus for one of my ATs and will report back if I do.

On my Technics, I use the current DV10x5 on an Audio Origami modded RB300. Happy days but I haven't compared it with those AT's.

Any low output MC recommendations so that I can use the second unused (MC) phono input on my pre-amplifier? - (as the Technics will be a second turntable on the system).

advertisement

Back