advertisement

What's the longest you've gone without a beer/drink?

Strange, isn't it? I can happily drink beer and wine, but can't be doing with whisky or rum. My father drank a lot of Scotch, especially after he retired. Just the smell of it makes me gag.

if you're TT people are a bit sniffy and think you're religious or something or a moralist. It's uncomfortable in societies where there is so much drinking going on. And there is quite a lot.

In my case, it's quite simple - I don't like the taste! Apart from that cider (which was actually quite nice), every other booze I've tried tasted awful. I guess it started when my father used to bring home empty bottles obtained somehow at H&W. If you filed a slot in the neck, a sixpence would fit in. A lot of people used to save money this way. When the bottle was full, they'd smash the bottle and take it to the bank and deposit it. One of these bottles was a gin bottle and it had a wee bit at the bottom, so I tried it - and wondered who on earth would torment themselves by drinking this.

The guys Downunder, not quite believing it, would pour me a Foster's, ask me to try it and then, expectantly, ask me what it tasted like., "Soldering flux," I would reply.

I had 2 weeks in hospital after my bike accident, I REALLY wanted a drink when I got out but was advised not to for another week. After that a drink or two was part of recovery and regaining weight. I'm now having to work at reducing my weight so 4 or 5 dry days a week help that cause. I do enjoy the days off. This week I'll have a couple on Friday because, hey, Friday, and I'm going cycling with a mate on Saturday and staying over, so we'll have a few.

Last edited:
I did Dry January a few years ago, because my wife reckoned I couldn’t. It wasn’t a problem, though I did miss it. I like the taste (beer, wine, whisky, occasionally gin) but I dislike the effect. If I could get all the taste with none of the alcohol, that’d do me nicely.

We don’t drink during the week, except that I go out most Thursdays and will have a pint or two so I’m dry Mon-Weds unless we’re on holiday.

A looooooooog time ago, when I was working in London, I drank a fair bit, as it was very much the culture at the time; and I was young and foolish.
Then, when giving up smoking, I stopped going down the pub for a month or so; and was shocked how my sleep had been screwed up by alcohol. Since then, I've had far more respect for alcohol, and keep it within the 14 units a week pretty much.
I've also found over the last few years that I can't have more than a few drinks (certainly no more than four glasses of wine) in an evening, as it really affects my mood the next day - I can feel quite down (depressed would be pushing it, but certainly not chirpy). I've absolutely no interest in getting drunk anymore; it just wrecks the next day.
I've now decided that drinking less, but better is the way ahead; and I enjoy the drink I do have far more.

Two years whilst at Uni. I drank fizzy pop instead and that's why I was 25+ stone when I left.

I've been a lightweight drinker for many years. Three pints or half a bottle of wine has long been my maximum; any more than that and I fall asleep.

I frequently go weeks without alcohol. I have a tendency for one to turn into 4 and with small children this is no fun the next day. Red wine and good beer are my preferred tipples. I prefer strong bottled heritage beers like Worthington White Shield or 1698 over craft beer, which I tend to find favours novelty over quality.

I reflect wistfully on the days when I could stay up until 3am with lots of tasty booze, cigarettes, great music and a nice lady, but I’m the other side of 50 and married and know full well it would have been undignified to still be carrying on like that.

Wife & I are more social drinkers (ie family get togethers, or meeting out for meals/drinks etc) - those sessions can get quite long and dangerous :D

We can go weeks/months without touching a drop in between; we rarely drink at home even though we tend to have a very well stocked beer fridge and I've god knows how many bottles of whisky & bourbon

It's all down to mood and if anything takes my fancy.

As per the whisky thread; if the mood takes me, I'll be into various bottles over the course of a week but can then switch off and not sup anything at all...

Those who are tee-total or just having a break from it all; I never judge and folk can do what they want...

When I first passed my driving test in Feb 2000, I was tee-total between then and 2005! I drove everywhere and had also started weightlifting/powerlifting and strongman and was competing all over the UK & Europe; drink was put on hold, I had other priorities!

It's an interesting thought whether alcohol (or Ethanol to give its proper name) would be allowed as a foodstuff if it was to be introduced today as a new product. Lethal in not very high doses, addictive, depressant, prone to causing violence, damaging to organs. We are socially conditioned that it's a bit of a laugh, but really, if we could step outside ourselves for a minute we'd probably view it with the same distain as heroin.

I gave up drinking in May/June 2020 when I was trying to lose what and get fit. When I say drinking I am talking about maybe a bottle of wine per week and the occasional beer.

I have never gone back and have no intention to.

It's an interesting thought whether alcohol (or Ethanol to give its proper name) would be allowed as a foodstuff if it was to be introduced today as a new product. Lethal in not very high doses, addictive, depressant, prone to causing violence, damaging to organs. We are socially conditioned that it's a bit of a laugh, but really, if we could step outside ourselves for a minute we'd probably view it with the same distain as heroin.
Maybe, but people have been consuming alcohol and other inebriants since records began, and for the same reasons they are consumed now; as a relaxant and (partial) escape from reality. It's never really been a 'foodstuff', except for when weak beer was used as a substitute for water when water itself was unsafe to drink.

It's been around for millenia...

But get what you're saying...

Like tobacco; it's been around a long time, both addictive and can cause serious issues...

Opium has been around for millenia too; but that's severely frowned upon!

advertisement

Back