advertisement

Old Amp in storage for 20 years

thomasp

pfm Member
Is it safe to use, I heard you have to reform the capacitor before restarting it .. what is your experience in this situation?

Tom

What make/model - I’d suggest a lot depends on current being drawn at start up :)

Or a dim-bulb tester. That gives some of the benefits of a variac plus protects from shorts doing real damage, and is cheap/easy to make!

Or a dim-bulb tester. That gives some of the benefits of a variac plus protects from shorts doing real damage, and is cheap/easy to make!

But if the unit being being energized after 20 years by the dim-bulb tester is not compromised in some way the unit will get full voltage directly on initial power-up. With the Veriac you can apply a low voltage of your choosing at startup and slowly increase in a controlled way over time. ..But maybe a combination of both?

Worth mentioning that it would be a good idea to look for a service manual - especially in the case of some newer "D" amps -they may simply stay dead/no output unless they see the incoming AC at the level (voltage) they expect. Some other designs have dire warnings against using a variac ?

How old was it when it went into storage? Twenty years ago is only 2002, but if it was already 50 years or so old at 2002 and has valves and big transformers, maybe some caution is advisable. In any case, reforming capacitors is probably a job for those who really know what they are doing.

thanks for all the reply .. the cap in question is Rifa 169 which I recap/replace the stock unit back in 02 and the last time in use was 04 .. it is mod Halfer power amp.
Tom

There is a huge German naval gun in northern Norway that the Norwegians wanted to test fire after the war. They were worried that it might be booby trapped so they tied 200m of rope to the trigger and retired a safe distance. Worked fine for them :)

There is a huge German naval gun in northern Norway that the Norwegians wanted to test fire after the war. They were worried that it might be booby trapped so they tied 200m of rope to the trigger and retired a safe distance. Worked fine for them :)

They got Hengist to use his Horsa.

Why do all Norwegian warships have enormous bar-codes each side of their prows?

So the port authorities can Scandinavian (Boom boom !)

advertisement

Back