advertisement

Hi - Fi Riff Entry level LP12 chat

I can’t see the problem with linn supplying 27 different colour options for the custom built LP12, if I had the money to build a second linn system I would want to match my LP12 with my Series 5 530 speakers to make a real statement. But at the moment I am more than happy with my fluted Afro fruit box:)

Interesting to know if they provide that annoying press on 45rpm belt pulley adaptor in the three and a half grand asking price !?

… if not, I wonder how much they’ll be charging for that ….

I think it was Ivor whom said many years ago that if he had the chance to build a top flight turntable again he would start all over.
The design/looks was great on release, quite a common style for many. Whilst the deck is fundamentally different inside today it still is, apart from the fluted plinth (yes it's still available as an option) fundamentally the same outside. Maybe that was Ivor's attempt to make it look more modern, together with the many offerings available today aka like above?

Perhaps if he'd had an original idea in the first place and had'n't stolen the Ariston from Hamish Robertson, Linn might have come up with an original ,instead of a straight copy. AYE, Tiefenbraun did win in court , but if ye consider that half ,the then, Scottish judiciary were related to him... it's no surprise ! Ariston were building Aristons for Tiefenbraun's father, (under the guise of Linn Sondeks), (then for father and son, after Tiefenbraun junior joined the firm). The only difference between the two turntables was that the bearing for the Sondek was developed by Robertson, jointly with Tiefenbraun's father . Ivor Tiefenbraun had nothing to do with it . In fact, if Sondeks were produced upside down, it's unlikely that Ivor would have notice. (He was NOT an engineer, he was in marketing) This went on for a long time, before folk noticed the turntable) Ye can even see the glue marks left on the Sondeks where the Ariston label had been torn off...:cool:

Last edited:
Perhaps if he'd had an original idea in the first place and had'n't stolen the Ariston from Hamish Robertson..

I heard and believed this common Scottish folk tale for many years, although seldom have I seen it told with such vitriol. It is unfortunately, rubbish. A fist banging underdog story but rubbish non the less. As much as I'm no big fan of many of Linn's products and practices I think the truth matters. They didn't 'steal' the design and they won the court case because they deserved to. I've read the transcription of the court case.

I really concur with what Mike Evans says about the rocker switch.It just looks plain wrong on a £3500 deck.The vahalla of old really looked the part.I am sure Linn could replace the rocker with something more stylish.

As for the colour options ...its your taste that matters.

I agree, the rocker switch looks completely out of place. Of course that can be easily rectified with a Lingo 4 for another £1650 or so, L.O.L... As for the colour, it's nice that they will offer the plinths in so many different colours to suit individual choice,

It looks a great package and I like it. If my LP12 wasn’t a family heirloom, I’d buy one without hesitation.

I agree, the rocker switch looks completely out of place.

I guess they want to distance it from the better PSUs a bit and give you a reminder of why you should upgrade. Also, the rocker can handle mains voltage, the Valhalla and similar switches can't. You could replace the Majik switch with any latching switch that takes the voltage but most are not much better.

It's not a very nice switch but I will admit to being fairly happy with the Majik PSU. I expected it to be a stop gap but I'm not seeing a great need to change it. Deck sounds good. In fact the second LP12, which is hardly getting used, has a Valhalla and I'm not even feeling any motivation to swap the PSUs over.

My only quibble with the Majik LP-12 is the power supply. No way I would be satisfied with 33.3 rpm only. a quarter of my record collection is 12 inch singles, 45 rpm EPs, 7 inch singles, etc.

My only quibble with the Majik LP-12 is the power supply.

The LP12 was 33 only for years so I guess a lot of us older farts are just used to it ;0)

My biggest quibble is the arm. Three and a half grand and Linn cannot make an arm for it? Rega can sell turntables for a couple of hundred quid with tonearms made in house and Linn can't do it at three and a half grand?

Did the original LP12s not have that ghastly 45rpm adapter? Mine did in about 1982.

My only quibble with the Majik LP-12 is the power supply. No way I would be satisfied with 33.3 rpm only. a quarter of my record collection is 12 inch singles, 45 rpm EPs, 7 inch singles, etc.

I think a new LP12 probably wouldn't be on your list if you listened to a lot of 45s, or at least not the bog standard LP12. You could probably pick up a better spec used one for much less money including a 33/45 power supply. Better arm as well.

I think a new LP12 probably wouldn't be on your list if you listened to a lot of 45s, or at least not the bog standard LP12. You could probably pick up a better spec used one for much less money including a 33/45 power supply. Better arm as well.

no need, as mine works quite well, although due for some upgrades. Lingo was a game changer, though.

I really don't care for vinyl anymore, I must have had half a dozen LP12's, maybe the best of them with a perfectly flat, concentric, decent pressing could sound good with a few beers but I recently brought out a Rock Reference from retirement, sounded great until i started to compare with a few Hi Res files..

I like the blue and having had a LP12 for many years was always in awe of the quality fit. I changed to look for something better and ended up with a top end Thorens. I'm happy but a cartridge is a bigger upgrade at this level.

Love that right blue shade on the LP12. Wish those two world work harder on HiFiRiff. They are both as dull as ditch water and the videos are as plain as it gets.
I have no doubt they have a lot of experience to share..... I just wish they weren't so wooden,

I think they were an option you could buy. Horrible things. I had one but never used it so I gave it away. The friend gave me it back because he didn't use it either.
At the time I got my work place to make me one although it turned out to not be a very good fit. Upon request to make a better tolerance version I was rapidly shown the door! :(

advertisement

Back