advertisement

Headphone and dac ? Chord Hugo 1 or Chord Mojo 2?

marvan

On the banks of the Tay
Hi
I hope everyone is well and happy
My son listens to music whilst working
He runs Spotify ( liking its interface and refusing a “free” family Tidal offer through computers
He listens to his Apple phone in his car
He currently has closed back over ear Sennheiser and only wants closed back and over ear headphones.
Any advice please?
Budget £750 or less/approx
My original solution was a Chord mojo 2 and Focal listen pro
Then I got thinking
Second hand is an option
Your help would be appreciated so we can narrow down our listening options
Many thanks and best wishes
Marvan

If he’s only interested in Spotify then Mojo 1 along with Poly would come under budget second hand.
Headphones are such a personal thing, I ran Meze Classic 99 with my mojo

AKG K550 mk3 over ear, quite good for reasonable money.
Though on the travel I prefer HD25II but these are on ear.

I can’t advise on closed back headphones but I’d pick a used Oppo HA2 as you don’t have the hassle of a camera adaptor.I had one and they are a really lovely thing and truly portable.

Isn't that an excessive spend for equipment just for Spotify listening? £100 headphones, preferably Sennheiser is all you would need. Alternatively just buy a pair of Final headphones as most of these are 8 ohms so you can use them with an iPhone, so a DAC/amp is not necessary especially for MP3.

AKG K550 mk3 over ear, quite good for reasonable money.

I had a pair and agree - very easily driven, excellent isolation, now replaced - the equiv these days is AKG K553.

The 55x s are not the finest tonal balance available - a bit mid-scooped- but full/deep bass, dynamic, pretty clean treble if not the top tier: overall- a bit like the average 'Hollywood movie' sound balance if that helps picture things - but outstanding VFM.

& that said - the overall balance of these things work fabulously well at low levels suited to work use; and with, as I said - outstanding isolation. sensitive, low drive requirement, and All-day-wear comfortable, too.

So for 'workplace listening' I wholly agree with G T - just get the appropriate adaptor (eg the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm output thingummy is amazing for £9!; or whatever suits the phone to hand) - and then just run such a headphone set off it.

And yes such adaptor will drive the sensitive AKGs very well indeed.

What a great resource Pinkfish is!
Thank you everyone
Lots of good ideas
Any other options?
I was hoping for a bit of future proofing
I am an optimist and am expecting Spotify to bring out lossless

I have a Mojo I use for just this purpose: streaming from Spotty while working, I stream from my PC to the Mojo and use a pair of modified Grado. If he would do similarly then there is no need for a Poly. When on the move you can connect Mojo to your phone.

A Mojo 2 would seem the obvious way but equally, as suggested above, Spotty is great for music availability/easy of use etc but not pushing the limits on high fidelity while we all wait for lossless and/or high res. A Mojo is more than good enough. There should be a glut of second hand Mojo coming on the market you would think as people upgrade to Mojo 2. For me I would concern myself about the state of the battery of any second hand Mojo. It was recommended not to charge and play at the same time on Mojo I believe, and it does get hot if you do, Mojo 2 doesn't have this restriction as I understand it. This is very useful as you can flatten a Mojo in a working day and forget to charge it overnight (speaks from experience). I wouldn't recommend Grado, they work for me, but they are super open back tipping sound into the room, the other suggestions for closed back for work make sense to me, Grado is just what I found myself with :)

Thank you for all the helpful advice
Lots to think about
AKG’s are hard to find
We will go listening
Any other thoughts gratefully received
Best wishes

You should check out the Sennheiser range as they have the best tonality and a lot of studios use them for that very reason...

advertisement

Back