advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Just back from this year's Love Supreme Festival. Lots of highlights: Lady Blackbird was sublime and Ezra Collective just were just awesome on the Friday; loved Jon Cleary, Matthew Halsall, Tom Misch, Emma-Jean Thackray and Lianne La Havas on the Saturday. Sister Sledge were just fabulous on Sunday, and a great performance by Sons of Kemet & Nubya Garcia. We knackered ourselves out seeing over 20 bands, but the weather was kind, and the atmosphere chilled.

Definitely going again next year.

Billie Eilish at the O2 last Saturday. Was a treat for my 15y.o. daughter, bit surprised to find I thoroughly enjoyed it. Might check her out on Spotify. 40 quid for a t-shirt was a bit painful.
Yes, I think some of the t-shirt pricing at gigs is taking the p**s. I thought £35 a pop at LCD SS last week was steep, so declined. My wife and daughter saw Lorde on the same night and my daughter paid £45 for a t-shirt!!

Yes, I think some of the t-shirt pricing at gigs is taking the p**s. I thought £35 a pop at LCD SS last week was steep, so declined. My wife and daughter saw Lorde on the same night and my daughter paid £45 for a t-shirt!!

There has been a campaign recently to stop venues charging commission on artists selling their merch. More traction with the independents of course than the bigger venues. Suspect some of the silly pricing is venue addition on top of the artist's regular pricing.

Am sure I read somewhere that selling 1 t-shirt is equivalent to 60,000 downloads. I bought one recently at the Tool gig, but that’s a one-off for me.

I was sitting further back and the audience consisted of 30% zombies, some too drunk others too smoked.
Why would someone spend £100 to get pissed?

Saw The Delines in Oxford last night. Pretty good, but I think I preferred it when they were touring their last album a couple of years ago.
Maybe it was just the heat. I’m pretty sure the venue, a church, had it’s underfloor heating on. My partner’s bag was warm underneath when she picked up at the end.

Kevin

The Popguns at the Cumberland Arms, last night, hot and sweaty gig, loved them back in the 1990s when I bought a couple of singles, and they sounded brill, not played Newcastle in 31 years so great to get a chance to see them.

Moritz Von Oswald Trio (actually turned out to be a quartet) at Cafe Oto last Thursday. Great gig, somewhere at the intersection between jazz and electronic dancemusic. Moritz on electronics / keys, Heinrich Kobberling on drums and Laurel Halo on keys. Short, but very sweet!

The Delines, last night at Bury Met. Superb, I've rarely seen a singer live the songs the way Amy Boone does. It was the first time I've seen them, I was surprised at how completely unstarry and relaxed they are on stage. Perfect music for a hot night.

Agnes Obel - Munich 19th July 2022

Another show postponed from 2020.

The performance took place in an active church, which was both atmospheric, but also weirdly passive.

Agnes joined on stage by three sirens in the classic rock line-up of cello, cello, drums/glockenspiel.

These three were integral to the performance, rather than a backing role for Agnes, and were all superb.

Great location for this type of music - chamber pop? orchestral indie? , candles still in place on altar, 20ft Jesus suspended above the band etc , but sitting down, on wooden church pews seemed to kill the involvement for me somehow.

Regardless, great performance, not just from AO, but also the rest of the band.

Sari Schorr at Huntingdon Hall Worcester, she was the support for the cancelled Robin Trower gigs I had tickets for, so I thought I would give it a go. I was impressed and I had forgotten how good the venue is too.

Joe Jackson at Symphony Hall Birmingham.
Great performance from Joe. Played a good selection of oldies and newer material.
Symphony Hall does not really suit pop/rock music as the bass frequencies tend to boom out of control.
The sound engineer really needs to know his stuff to contend with this. This one did not.
Joe solo on piano sounded great though.

Well Richard Thompson was a real treat last night in Whitley Bay, postponed from last year. Man can he play that acoustic guitar, it sounded like there must have been someone else in the wings. Loved it, and he has such a great singing voice.

advertisement

Back