advertisement

All in one amp/streamer ideas needed for Magnepan LRS

beammeup

pfm Member
I am considering the idea of setting up a second system around the petite yet apparently well reviewed LRS.

I thought about gunning for a high powered (which is what the LRS thrives on it seems) integrated all in one neat streamer / amp solution which will make the most of these speakers.

No more than £2k (or less would be better - and second hand would be welcomed) on something that will be good enough to wring the music out of these little Maggies. Reviews suggest they get better with hi-end equipment so these speakers are no bottleneck in that respect.

How much power do you reckon you need? You could get a Naim Atom from eBay for a lot less than £2K. I was listening to mine earlier - it's great at what it does - but I have never tried it with Maggies.

They have relatively low 86 Ohm sensitivity and a relatively low (but happily stable) 4 Ohm impedance. You need something with decent current handling. One of the larger Uniti models or one of the smaller Hegel integrated amps would probably fit your requirements. I have run LRSs and 1.7s off of Hegel's entry level H95 model in a medium-sized room (4.5m x 6m approx) sitting 2.5-3m away from the speakers without any problems at sensible to somewhat less sensible listening levels.

The LRS have been upgraded to LRS + status .

Apparently Magnepan are in a serious financial state at the moment and not looking good for their future.

Tought they were doing well, especially with the LRS being such a success. Surprised to hear that.

The LRS 60-day, money-back, home-trial program allows you to sample Magnepan's full-range ribbon technology for $750 inc shipping in your home . We hope you will take the challenge
Dealing direct to the public wave goodbye to Dealers that supported you for decades

You could maybe go for a NAD M10v2, interesting units, great app with everything supported e.g Tidal, roon etc but what I think is really interesting is two features which may be useful. 1 is it has a hi and low pass function built in for integration of two subwoofers. This maybe important with maggies as I understand bass isn’t their strong point so by using these features the speakers would essentially only do the hi and mid frequencies which makes them much easier to drive. The subs would then deal with the low end and the crossover between them would be perfect and done in the digital domain. 2 is that the nad products have Dirac live built in so that makes tuning any bass nodes out easy.

The LRS have been upgraded to LRS + status .

Apparently Magnepan are in a serious financial state at the moment and not looking good for their future.

Where do you get that? Because it's nonsense. They have $400,000 in orders for the LRS alone.

The LRS is a loss-leader, which is why they ration them.

Magnepan will spend an entire month making only one model. Then the next month they make another model. This helps with stocking and ordering parts and manufacturing efficiency. There is no 'ration' about it.

The LRS is a loss-leader, which is why they ration them.

I understand the rationale and agree with the strategy behind a company offering an entry level product to get traction with consumers.
But have a hard time to accept that this entry level offering is sold at a loss. It must be more a case of less proffit.

It’s not like there is any amazing tech behind or revolutionary materials.

But the world has changed since the LRS was offered, and it might well be that costs have risen so much that it is not viable anymore.
By the way neither LRS or LRS+ are currently present on Magnepans webpage.

OK lots of great choices thanks ... it might be a second system but I will probably like its neatness and so will the better half for sure. As long as it's musically up to the job that would be a great package!

There’s a new all in one Yammy coming soon. The RN 2000A. I’ll be trying it with my LRS.Amazon HD will be integrated if that matters.

"Apparently Magnepan are in a serious financial state at the moment and not looking good for their future." How creditable is this information ?

advertisement

Back