advertisement

I found a motorbike in Scotland but in belongs in Poland. What to do???

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
A motorbike with a Polish license plate has been sitting in the same spot around the corner from where I live since March, which coincides with the time Scotland hosted Poland at Hampden Park here in the south side of Glasgow. Well, technically, it was initially left right at the beginning of the lane behind where I live but refuse collection workers moved it a few feet as it was blocking access to the lane. Apart from this, it's just been left in the same spot. My guess is someone came over to watch the game and couldn't remember where they'd parked the bike.

I sent Police Scotland an email a good few weeks ago but I haven't heard back. I even sent Polish Police HQ an email about it hoping they could get in touch with the owner but they've said it's a matter, if it's a matter at all, for the law enforcement where I live i.e. Police Scotland.

I feel I've got a civic duty to reunite the bike with the owner but contacting the police here in Scotland and in Poland hasn't worked out. Any Polish fishies out there that might be able to help? Failing that, what else can I do?

The original rider might have even nicked it in Poland (or elsewhere!), ridden it to Scotland and had a better route (or even nicked a better bike!) to get home. You never know - the possibilities are endless. A novelist could fashion a book from such a starting point.

Screenshot-2022-07-28-at-15-19-45.png

The original rider might have even nicked it in Poland (or elsewhere!), ridden it to Scotland and had a better route (or even nicked a better bike!) to get home. You never know - the possibilities are endless. A novelist could fashion a book from such a starting point.
Possibly dumped but more likely nicked. Or the rider developed medical issues. So many possibilities, but forgotten where they parked it seems unlikely.

Is it barrelled?

How about calling the (Scottish) police and telling them it is a hazard on the lane? They should come and cart it away, and presumably contact the Polish police to trace the owner. What kind of bike is it?

If the law there is like in Italy a vehicle without insurance can't be parked on a public road. If the lane is not "public" you could push it to a road and then call the police. I wonder if there are the makings of a Polish joke there....

If the law there is like in Italy a vehicle without insurance can't be parked on a public road. If the lane is not "public" you could push it to a road and then call the police. I wonder if there are the makings of a Polish joke there....

Police Scotland are useless they'll do nothing about a motorbike stuck up a lane, I couldn't tell you the last time I spotted a policeman walking about where I live but they'll turn up mob handed if there's some sort of stuff going on in the city centre.

A motorbike with a Polish license plate has been sitting in the same spot around the corner from where I live since March, which coincides with the time Scotland hosted Poland at Hampden Park here in the south side of Glasgow. Well, technically, it was initially left right at the beginning of the lane behind where I live but refuse collection workers moved it a few feet as it was blocking access to the lane. Apart from this, it's just been left in the same spot. My guess is someone came over to watch the game and couldn't remember where they'd parked the bike.

I sent Police Scotland an email a good few weeks ago but I haven't heard back. I even sent Polish Police HQ an email about it hoping they could get in touch with the owner but they've said it's a matter, if it's a matter at all, for the law enforcement where I live i.e. Police Scotland.

I feel I've got a civic duty to reunite the bike with the owner but contacting the police here in Scotland and in Poland hasn't worked out. Any Polish fishies out there that might be able to help? Failing that, what else can I do?
Forget about it.

Maybe I should push it into the middle of the road and just walk away. Someone will have to deal with then for sure!

Maybe I should push it into the middle of the road and just walk away. Someone will have to deal with then for sure!
You’ll be filmed doing so on CCTV and arrested for causing an obstruction on the highway and on suspicion of nicking the bike.

Not a police matter, and they're not a refuse disposal agency... no obligation for them to try and trace the owner. Inform the council, who should put a 7 day notice on it and then they should remove it. It's just a piece of property - the fact that it has a registration plate (regardless of nationality, including UK registered) and may have an owner somewhere is irrelevant.

advertisement

Back