advertisement

New v Old Tannoy Speakers

The Townsend ST;

50726885977_00bf4581fd.jpg

I had the ST50s beforehand and they were essentially the same. I believe they are the same unit inside, just different (fewer) settings avaialble.

fantastic ...so pleased . i still ove my eaton legacy . we still guessing where they will be made . one dealer got everyone excited as he said he had uk made stock .... turns out thats in India . dealers have long waiting lists i believe .

I've been offered by one of highly recommended here dealers a brand new pair of Tannoy Legacy Eatons with Atacama Audition AU400 stands for £3890 .

How are they doing it when RRP is almost two grand more ???

It seems to be too good to be true.

Last edited:
I've been offered by one of highly recommended here dealers a brand new pair of Tannoy Legacy Eatons with Atacama Audition AU400 stands for £3890 including a pair of Atacama Audition AU400 stands.

There is often reductions to be had from rrp prices from dealers for varieties of reasons. I am guessing you are purchasing from a dealer north of the border?
I would suggest asking for a price for the Cheviots also as they may have a similar discount. This has been well discussed on this forum. Coatsbridge has closed so the speakers are now made elsewhere but nobody seems to be 100% sure where that location might be. China is one that is mentioned often and very possible given the new owners are Music Tribe.

PM me if you want to discuss

I've been offered by one of highly recommended here dealers a brand new pair of Tannoy Legacy Eatons with Atacama Audition AU400 stands for £3890 including a pair of Atacama Audition AU400 stands.

It seems to be too good to be true.

thats a good deal . bought mine in 2018 at 4k and prices have edged up . there is plenty of margin . similar dealer elite is advertising some 10k speakers at 4k on hifi for sale and same speakers on their website at 2899 . Starngely enough today there was a thread on the Tannoy FB group advertisng these and i asked where they are made . no one seems to know

Ah these guys are Indian dealers and still under the impression they are made in the UK it seems from their reply on FB

FWIW for a while new Legacy Ardens could be had for not a great deal more than that via well-known UK dealer…. Maybe that’s still an option?

this was reply i got on tannoy FB group when i asked where they are made

Poland and China. Prestige are not hand made in the UK any more, they are assembled in Poland.

I have a pair of DMT-15’s that were manufactured in 2005 and have a sticker with the serial number that also says “Made in the UK”. Does anyone know where specifically these were made?

just noticed this on the tannoy website

Every design element crucial to ARDEN’s breathtaking dynamic range, clarity of sound and classic look has been faithfully preserved. Much more than just a clone of the original, this new version of the classic benefits greatly from the evolution of driver and electronic component technology. In keeping with the TANNOY mode of excellence, each ARDEN loudspeaker cabinet is completely handcrafted by our highly skilled team at our Poland and UK workshop

https://www.tannoy.com/product.html?modelCode=P0DEN

Hi new to the forum was just looking at People taking Tannoy.
I have the new Eatons and love them .
If you ever want a listen I’m located at Churchill not too far away.

hey I used to live in Churchill (N Somerset)

Every design element crucial to ARDEN’s breathtaking dynamic range, clarity of sound and classic look has been faithfully preserved. Much more than just a clone of the original, this new version of the classic benefits greatly from the evolution of driver and electronic component technology. In keeping with the TANNOY mode of excellence, each ARDEN loudspeaker cabinet is completely handcrafted by our highly skilled team at our Poland and UK workshop

interesting. Be surprised if wage costs in Poland are lower than Lanarkshire but most likely it’s a shared manufacturing facility with other Hi Tribe brands. Heritage and expertise of course means nothing these days. (Of course the same could have been said about the late 1970s move from West Norwood to Coatbridge).

I remember buying a pair of Tannoys from a mail order discounter in London, around 1982, with my very first credit card after starting work. They arrived mashed by the courier. After much faffing it was agreed I would take them to Coatbridge as it was just 4 miles from where I lived at the time. They replaced the speakers with new ones. Fascinating to see around the place back then. I don’t imagine it changed much in the intervening 30-odd years before it closed.

Last edited:
yes i lived a few roads from tannoy in west norwood , even the local anglican church had tannoy speakers instead of bells i was told . many of them are named after the roads around west norwood .

I guess they moved production to Poland so they could get frictionless access to a market of 500M people.

strangely when i bought mine , they were made in Coatsbridge , shipped to the EU and then sent back to me in the UK . never got over that oddity but i guess their HQ was in europe at the time

And yes Poland has many superb speaker manufacturers so there must be the expertise there

like these superb ones

https://www.cubeaudio.eu/cube-audio-nenuphar

I guess they moved production to Poland so they could get frictionless access to a market of 500M people.

I don't think there are any particular barriers for a UK-based hifi manufacturer vs, say, a German one (given VAT is charged by the reseller in the final country not by the manufacturer) and I know of no specific EU tariffs on hifi products (per the Withdrawal Agrement), but if you are aware of any specifics, please enlighten us.

I suspect a lot more paperwork and perhaps the logistics cost of trucks stuck in traffic jams for an extra day to get to market. Whatever the reasons Tannoy voted with their feet and relocated to the most efficient location to supply their customers.

I don't think you need 500M people to build speakers. As the average wage in the UK is over three times that of Poland, I think we can see where their mindset was.

advertisement

Back