advertisement

Open source music player for Android

Simon s

pfm Member
Can any of you recommend a music player for Android which plays local files on my phone and is : high audio quality, open source , free and ad free with a simple user interface.
I dont want to upload files to a cloud or server based and am not particularly bothered about streaming just something simple really. I will be playing mainly mp3 but with some flac and AIFF files which are premixed.

This should be a simple one but for some reason isn't these days. There's a minefield of options and hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. So I pass it over to learned folk here.
Thanks.

I like and use PowerAmp, it is a commercial product with a free trial. Lovely product, nice interface, lots of customisations. I had tried a few other players prior (inc foobar, monkeys and others) but in the end this worked best for me, and I was happy to pay the price of a coffee for it. Handles my music files (opus compressed codec within an ogg wrapper) very well and able to handle gapless playback.

Terrible reviews?

Wasn't aware of any reviews. I use it to manage a mixed FLAC/Oggvorbis library of about 600 albums on an sd card in my Android phone. It works flawlessly for me. Reads and displays cover art, and keeps the library sorted by artist, album, track, genre via ID3 tags, as expected. Super snappy too.

One great feature for eg classical music listeners is that the tool is able to sort music tracks by disc number first, followed by track number. This is priceless for people who have collections of multi-CD classical boxsets for instances. 6,7 Wagner CDs? Not a problem. Rip all in the same dir, add disc number to ID3 tags, Foobar will correctly sort the whole set and display accordingly. No need to create 6-7 separate albums.

Quick update. I looked at the reviews for Foobar2000 and have to admit they are a bit mixed so i went for Musicolet which just works offline and with no ads. so far so good but i might try Foobar2000 as well and see which works best.

Thanks all again

Quick update. I looked at the reviews for Foobar2000 and have to admit they are a bit mixed so i went for Musicolet which just works offline and with no ads.

I see no ads with Foobar, and it definitely works offline. But glad you found something that works for you!

Try Foobar for yourself. Sometimes negative reviews of opensource Apps are from the commercial rivals.
The Android universe is packed with skinned opensource Apps sold as commercial.

BubbleUPnP

will play local files, and stream from anywhere to anywhere. I stream from multiple sources; auralic aries mini and a NAS, from my phone, to a Naim Unitiqute, Marantz streamer, to my phone...to a BT speaker......

BubbleUPnP

will play local files, and stream from anywhere to anywhere. I stream from multiple sources; auralic aries mini and a NAS, from my phone, to a Naim Unitiqute, Marantz streamer, to my phone...to a BT speaker......
Yep - difficult to beat.

advertisement

Back