advertisement

Neat Iota Xplorer spiked feet question.

mbu

pfm Member
Looking at replacing my old but superb Epos es 22s. And also a pair of Royd Doublets.
Interested in these Neats - and also Spendor A7s.
Spotted the conical spike feet on pics of the Neats. Can anybody tell me if each of these spikes are individually adjustable/nut lockable ? Look pretty fixed and non adjustable to me.
Also is top of speaker flat and parallel to the ground rather than sloped ? I use a little circular sprit level to set up my speakers. Use a lot as always rotating speakers. Floor is pretty uneven.

Don't the Neats have a down firing driver?

If yes then the feet are there for a reason and should not be adjusted.

DO NOT get rid of the Doublets unless you are certain.

I've read many times how some have sold their Royds on and later regretted it.

They do have a certain something that some find difficult to live without. Also the Doublets are quite rare so may be even more difficult to source if you later change your mind.

Same with your ES22s really!

Andy

I had a listen to A7’s a couple of weeks ago, on the end of some very expensive Boulder amplification. I really liked them and they are under consideration.

Cheers BB

I did hear the Neat Xplorers at the Bristol a while ago. Unfortunately the only time I did so but paired with Exposure amplification they sounded very good indeed, probably one of the best rooms at the time. My partner commented, which was a miracle because the whole thing bored her silly. To this day I still don't understand why she came too!. I think the small form factor appealed too in the midst of sea of huge wooden boxes

Your correct I'm sure. Would explain not being adjustable.
I set my speakers up on plinths ( small slabs or Argos stone chopper boards). So I'd just need to ensure these were absolutely level ( coins) and Neats would be fine.

They do have a certain something that some find difficult to live without. Also the Doublets are quite rare so may be even more difficult to source if you later change your mind.

Andy
Going to set these up in main system again and make a decision. I'd previously sold the es22s to a friend many years ago. Regretted it. When he bought Martin Logans I bought them back from him.
I should also get a demo of the Neats and Spendors. I've just been assuming that new and costing many thousands of pounds will guarantee improvements on these oldies.

Last edited:
Spares and repairs.
Something new ( and expensive)= Something better ?

Maybe not though.
I'll decide in due course

Last edited:

My Momentums SX5i with isobaric, have fixed spikes where the lowest 1/3 spike can be adjusted for levelling speakers.
google
NeatMomentumSX5iBund.jpg

Otherwise Neat Feet can be added many of Bob's speakers included Iota Alpha - I'm sure these provide a better and stable support, they are not cheap though, other solutions out there.

Actually this is a picture of my own speakers when I tried some universal Dayton outriggers I had lying around.

Unfortunately they raised the speakers higher than necessary, resulted in a rather lousy bas performance.
Levelling was easy though.

Neat do some really nice speakers, I've had countless since the first Petites, love them.

s-l400.jpg

Thanks for that, Andy. I, too, have Doublets currently driven by a Uniti Star, and have been wondering whether to try the Iota A!phas, but the Royds do have a certain appeal, so they'll stay.
Andy

The cone feet on the Xplorer are in two parts. Each foot comprises a lower spike threaded onto an upper cone so they can be adjusted to level the speakers. There are no locking nuts, but once they are adjusted so that the speakers are level and all four spikes are in contact with the floor, gravity and friction will prevent any unwanted movement. The top of each speaker is flat and will normally be parallel to the ground. I say "normally" because you could in theory use the feet to cant the speakers backwards or forwards a little, if you really wanted.

I am Neat retailer. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you.

Fudgemaster: I wasn't saying that they should never be replaced, just you need to be absolutely certain that what ever you decide to move on to really does it for you.
There's nothing wrong with trying something else but don't move those Royds on till you're convinced, or better still keep them in a second system.

Andy

Couldn't agree more, Andy, more so since I upgraded from my Uniti 1 to the Star; those extra watts have improved the Doublets tremendously.
Though it's still tempting to audition the Iota Alphas, just to scratch the itch, but in no rush.

audition the Iota Alphas

I've never heard the Xplorers but owned Alphas for a period.
They are so compact and low in height you hardly notice them in room.

What they do however is to present a big sound picture way beyond its size, quite amazing.
They do like a bit power to run best.

I have the feet on my Momentums and they do make a big difference - unfortunately so given the price!

advertisement

Back