advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

For me 800m is probably the best interval distance for speeding up a 5k time. However I have a friend who has really got into marathon running in the past few years and he's become very quick in the 5k (19 minutes at age 59 !) so I suspect a combination of slower runs much longer than 5k (at least 10k) plus interval work is what you really need to run a fast 5k.
My very slow recovery from long covid continues - trying to do runs of 40-60 minutes at a low (zone 2) heart rate and build from there. Also started swimming again. It's a b*st*rd slow recovery, though - I expect it will be around 12 months from initial symptoms to getting back to the level of fitness I had pre-infection. (and I was triply vaxxed - be careful out there, folks).

I find doing more than 5k or about half an hour in one run hard going mentally, it just gets really tedious. Which is why I stop there and move on to intervals. I will definitely try some longer intervals though, that sounds an interesting way to change things up a bit.

Yes I'm not interested in running outdoors, it would only be on crap local roads anyway. Aside from that I'd never do it, calling in at the gym before going home from work is the only way I can force myself to do it.

Sean99.. Best of luck with your recovery. The wife has just had 8 days of covid and it is so restricting even if the patient doesn't feel too lousy.

Mattj.. your decision of course but I love getting for a run in the country and fresh air around here. I do have a treadmill at home though I only tend to use it in the cold times of year due to my Raynauds condition.

JTC.. that's more like it, just keep ticking over and it will come back.

I had an upper hamstring injury two months ago; a patient period of rest, cycling, long walks with a slow return to running gradually cured it. I had an entry to the 'Endure' event at Bramham Park in early July. The team begged me not to drop out as they were already down to 5 runners. The idea is you run as a relay team from noon Saturday to noon Sunday on a 5 mile loop covering as many laps as you can without much sleep and snacking when you can. I surprised myself by covering 35 miles in 24 hours which at least confirmed my recovery from injury! A good endurance foundation for my Chester marathon training too, that is on 2nd October.

My parkrun time slipped to 23.30 post injury which I was half expecting, this has since come down to 22 mins dead which is encouraging.
Just building up the miles now for the marathon campaign, 11m yesterday and 9m today - a bit easier in the cooler air.

Not going to be running for quite a bit. I posted in off topic that I have suffered a Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection, an exotic form of heart attack. It will be another 2-3 weeks before the artery heals, so I have to take it very gently, then I will start cardiac rehab classes. I might be allowed to run in a few months, but it will be under strict heart rate and blood pressure limits. SCAD is rare, and 90% of cases are females. When it does occur in males, typical age is 10 to 15 years younger than me. SCAD is not correlated with normal risk factors for heart disease.

Pleased to see everyone getting on so well, enjoy your running.

Not going to be running for quite a bit. I posted in off topic that I have suffered a Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection, an exotic form of heart attack. It will be another 2-3 weeks before the artery heals, so I have to take it very gently, then I will start cardiac rehab classes. I might be allowed to run in a few months, but it will be under strict heart rate and blood pressure limits. SCAD is rare, and 90% of cases are females. When it does occur in males, typical age is 10 to 15 years younger than me. SCAD is not correlated with normal risk factors for heart disease.

Pleased to see everyone getting on so well, enjoy your running.

So sorry to read this. I hope your rehab goes well and that you can keep somewhat mobile (I'd ask the Drs about stretches etc - you'll want to minimize the risk of injury after a long lay off).

Oooh, that's not good. Rest up, best wishes and put thoughts of running *well* at the back of your mind.

What's going on you PFM runners...I just checked in on the PFM Strava group and you're all out there doing mad miles (Piglets'dad excepted for obvious reasons, but it won't be too long...)....

Good for you!

First run of the week today at Parkrun....hot, humid and sweaty.

Five or six weeks off due to an Achilles strain which was brought about by me trying to increase my speed after watching a race. Thankfully I was able to keep cycling.
Inspiration is one thing but overdoing it without an incremental training program is another. The steady plodding has recommenced!

Will be plodding my first 10miler as part of my training tomorrow, after last weeks 15K it is not a huge step, I hope. I have been very impressed with The Nike Running Club app which I am using as the basis for my training.

Great to hear that Pigletsdad, sure you'll get back there soon.

A very hot and sweaty Parkrun this morning. Started too fast and wilted...then wilted more for the rest of the day..still wilting now.

Hopefully get out for a longer one early tomorrow morning when it's a bit cooler.

Entered a 10k trail race in Sept, and toying with a local trail half next weekend, entry on the day so will see how the weather's panning out.

Just in case anyone's not seen Lordy's thread, a quick bump/link here - goferit Lordy!!

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/fourth-time-i’ve-asked-you-all-but….270918/

Thanks Robs, I much enjoyed todays Parkrace, Small boy who is very good at running, beat me a few times on my way back from injury, today, I had five minutes in the bag against him and had enough in the bag for a fast finish overhauling two very for looking (for that read younger :) looking athletes!) Very hot, but Chris Hoy was our starter so it almost made the pain of angina hill worthwhile!

advertisement

Back