advertisement

Bass coming and going....

Catesby

Hello all

I have some Q Acoustics Concept 500 speakers. For some tracks they have lovely rich, deep bass and for others they just don't. I don't get it. Can anyone explain why this might be and suggest what I might do about it? Maybe I need to change some of the other components? Or is my system just picking up differences in the way different tracks are recorded?

My system is Naim ND5XS/Leema Tucana 1/Chord Signature cables and jumpers. Room is 6m x 6m with very high ceilings (think barn conversion). I listen to a a wide range of music but at the moment it's a lot of prog and I guess what you might call soft rock.

I have tried all kinds of speaker positions and listening positions but it doesn't seem to really resolve the issue.

I like the way the Concept 500s present music as if it were hanging in the air so I don't really want to get rid of them if at all possible.

I tried connecting my Rapsberry Pi to the Tucana and using the equaliser in Picoreplayer. This did seem to improve the situation. This got me thinking about adding an equaliser in somehow. What about using the Naim as a streamer and inserting an RME ADI-2 (or other device) into the chain? Does that make any sense?

If anyone has any insights I'd be most grateful.

Catesby

All things being equal your experience of bass is going to depend on the frequency, your drivers’ capabilities and room response. If you have a bass null at certain frequencies nothing you do short of treating the room will change that (moving speakers will change bass presentation, but which part of the spectrum depends on the frequency, speakers and room interaction). At the end of the day it’s all a matter of compromise unless you’re willing to throw money at the problem - in which case you can reduce the extent of compromise.

Yes, a null is my first thought. At a minimum listen to a frequency sweep or some pink noise to hear if any frequency is lacking. Even better, measure with REW and you'll be able to visualise it.

I'm also betting on a bass null. In my last house, bass players sounded like they wandered in and out of the room, depending on what note they played. Turns out I had a 18dB suck-out between 80-100Hz. OP, do a frequency sweep and if my hypothesis is right, that would be your problem. It can be solved to some extent with room treatment.

advertisement

Back