advertisement

Hegel volume control question

Yank

Bulbous Also Tapered
How do the volume controls on Hegel integrated amps work? There's a rotary encoder, and a numeric display, but what's going on inside the box? Is it a resistive ladder, a VCA, an active volume control, or what?

Thanks for any clues.

Do you have a Hegel amplifier?

Their volume controls have great channel balance at all levels and are useable across the range. If you turn the 'infinite rastered knob' manually a few turns are required to get useable volume. Use the remote and it's fast and easy. I only turned the volume up to near full once and heard no audible distortion.

I guess it is relatively well implemented compared to some conventional pots which have very little useable range. Not sure it greatly matters what the exact implementation is but there is little (no?) Info.

H95

Do you have a Hegel amplifier?

Their volume controls have great channel balance at all levels and are useable across the range. If you turn the 'infinite rastered knob' manually a few turns are required to get useable volume. Use the remote and it's fast and easy. I only turned the volume up to near full once and heard no audible distortion.

I guess it is relatively well implemented compared to some conventional pots which have very little useable range. Not sure it greatly matters what the exact implementation is but there is little (no?) Info.

H95

I have an H190. I was just curious about the technicalities, since the rotary encoder clearly isn't passing signal directly. There is no clicking sound so it's obviously not done with relays. Looking at photos of the insides of amps hasn't been any help, no one seems to focus on that part of the chassis. And I'm not inclined to go to the physical effort to disconnect the unit, pull it off my shelf, and open it up.

The physical volume control knob is only used to describe the desired volume output level to the array of Gigahertz MOS-transistors. These direct the music signal through a network of high-quality resistors that reduce the signal level.

advertisement

Back