advertisement

Improve on Raspberry Pi4 streamer

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Currently using a raspberry pi4 via usb out into rega dac r. In theory this should be pretty good - single purpose computer, noisy usb sorted from the rpi3 and dac re-clocks and has galvanic isolation - and in practice this does sound very good. Usability isn’t bad either as I have volumio loaded and mainly use tidal connect.

So what would be a better investment, improving the streamer or dac or go for a streaming dac? And how much would you need to spend to get a worthwhile improvement?

Best bet is borrow a few items that attract your attention. Combined streamer/dac is tidier, possibly less costly but not as flexible. DAC vs Streamer upgrade I’d say the DAC offers more bang/£.

DACs at £1K - RME ADI or Qutest are often mentioned, out of those 2 and your Rega I’d go with the RME as it offers sq on par with Qutest and more features/better vfm. Do a head to head you might prefer sticking with the Rega, it’s one of a few things I’d happily have back in the system.

If you fancy a new Streamer maybe the full on Allo Digi Sig + LPSU or an Auralic Aries - defo try before you buy if possible, not so easy with Allo kit unless you know someone with.

Suggest you trial Roon and Qobuz just to get a feel what else is out there, if you haven't already.

I have the same setup as you, Raspberry Pi4 via USB in to a Chord Mojo through Volumio and Tidal. I think it sounds pretty decent but haven't compared it to much else.

I have the same setup as you, Raspberry Pi4 via USB in to a Chord Mojo through Volumio and Tidal. I think it sounds pretty decent but haven't compared it to much else.
Out of interest, does the Raspberry Pi power the Mojo or do they both have their own PSU?

I'm using RPi4, running Qobuz on Volumio, into the DAC of my Rotel RA1570, I think it's excellent for the relatively small outlay. I don't feel the need to look a dedicated unit.

Cheers BB

Just buy whatever you fancy, there's no technical reason anything else should sound better so just buy something you like the look of

Transports have some bearing on sound quality, but relatively little compared to the DAC. Therefore, I suggest you stick with the Pi4, and upgrade your DAC. I've recently jumped from the Benchmark DAC2 to a Denafrips Pontus II, and it was a big change in presentation. Depending on how much you want to spend, consider the that, or the Denafrips Aries, which is much cheaper.

What do people think would be worth looking at dac wise, as that seems to be the consensus. RME, Chord Qutest, denafrips pontus? I was also considering running my pi from a LPS or SMPS as I understand that can also improve things ?

First of all, I expect your Pi is already running from an SMPS. Some like going to a better SMPS or even a linear supply. If it's just dealing with digital, then it's not so critical, so I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.

Focus instead on the DAC side, as it will have a greater benefit.

The world is going freaky on R2R DACs at the moment (versus chip-based DACs that have been the most common recently). R2R DACs were available long ago, but they weren't very good, because of inconsistent resistors. Now that resistors are more precise, R2R DACs work much better than they did, and many feel they're more natural sounding than chip-based DACs. Denafrips and Holo Audio are R2R DACs.

I'm not sure about the Qutest, but many Chord DACs use Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA), which is another solution. They tend to be more expensive though. You'll also find that approach in the better PS Audio DACs.

Before you spend money on a DAC, though, are you totally happy with your speakers? That's where you'll get the most bang for your buck. If you use only headphones, then this isn't an issue.

Additionally, I would ensure that you're happy with your amp, before bothering with a DAC.

Speakers and Amp will have a bigger impact on sound quality than the DAC will. If they aren't good, then you won't fully appreciate the difference between DACs.

My knowledge of computers is limited but I noticed quite an improvement switching from Pi3 to 8086 based little industrial PCs and running Daphile. Financial outlay is minimal.

Not sure if that is down to Software or Hardware. I have FitPC2i and 3i in use as I type.

First of all, I expect your Pi is already running from an SMPS. Some like going to a better SMPS or even a linear supply. If it's just dealing with digital, then it's not so critical, so I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point.

Focus instead on the DAC side, as it will have a greater benefit.

The world is going freaky on R2R DACs at the moment (versus chip-based DACs that have been the most common recently). R2R DACs were available long ago, but they weren't very good, because of inconsistent resistors. Now that resistors are more precise, R2R DACs work much better than they did, and many feel they're more natural sounding than chip-based DACs. Denafrips and Holo Audio are R2R DACs.

I'm not sure about the Qutest, but many Chord DACs use Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA), which is another solution. They tend to be more expensive though. You'll also find that approach in the better PS Audio DACs.

Before you spend money on a DAC, though, are you totally happy with your speakers? That's where you'll get the most bang for your buck. If you use only headphones, then this isn't an issue.

Additionally, I would ensure that you're happy with your amp, before bothering with a DAC.

Speakers and Amp will have a bigger impact on sound quality than the DAC will. If they aren't good, then you won't fully appreciate the difference between DACs.

Well structured response, thank you. Yes happy with speakers and amp combo, I have an exposure 3010S2D integrated and Harbeth SHL5+ and they work very well together and the speakers fill the room easily. So to get further gains, like you suggest, probably the dac will give best bang for buck. Curious about the Chord Qutest as it has a warm and neutral filter, my rega dac r is probably on the warm side as are my speakers so wandering how something a little more analytical (from what I’ve read re neutral setting) would sound but with option to flick back to warm. Reviews are also very good.

has anyone compared rega dac r vs chord or any of the others mentioned above?

Well structured response, thank you. Yes happy with speakers and amp combo, I have an exposure 3010S2D integrated and Harbeth SHL5+ and they work very well together and the speakers fill the room easily. So to get further gains, like you suggest, probably the dac will give best bang for buck. Curious about the Chord Qutest as it has a warm and neutral filter, my rega dac r is probably on the warm side as are my speakers so wandering how something a little more analytical (from what I’ve read re neutral setting) would sound but with option to flick back to warm. Reviews are also very good.

I’ve had the Rega, Qutest and RME among several others. I’d go along with your view that the Rega is “warmer” than the other 2. I had the Qutest and RME in a head to head, the Rega was gone by then but it did leave a positive impression hence suggesting you try any new potential DAC head to head with it.

The RME has a fairly complicated menu system as it is loaded with features, the Qutest has the colour buttons instead which I can do without but most seem fine with. Head to head there wasn’t much if anything in it sq wise, vfm the RME won, especially useful if you want to try the EQ and/or have decent headphones, plus it has a remote, maybe it’s a bit redundant with your Exposure in the mix and the Qutest would suit better. Buy either used and you’ll likely get your money back moving it on.

Maybe specify a max budget, there are loads of DACs and all have their fans.

I owned a Rega Dac R before switching to the Qutest.
I was fortunate enough to be able to live with a 'demo' unit for a few weeks before making my mind up.
The Qutest is more analytical and I was blown away with the amount of detail it retrieved compared to the Rega - it made we want to rediscover all my favourite cds - also it tightened up the bass which with the Rega sounded a bit thick and muddy for my liking.
The filters on the Qutest (and for that matter the Rega) are subtle to say the least or maybe my ears are not what they were so I tend to leave mine on the white neutral filter.
My only negative with the Qutest is the lack of a remote control which would have been useful for changing inputs but to be fair it's a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.
Maybe you could find a dealer who would be happy to loan you a unit as trying in your own system is always best.

Currently using a raspberry pi4 via usb out into rega dac r. In theory this should be pretty good - single purpose computer, noisy usb sorted from the rpi3 and dac re-clocks and has galvanic isolation - and in practice this does sound very good. Usability isn’t bad either as I have volumio loaded and mainly use tidal connect.

So what would be a better investment, improving the streamer or dac or go for a streaming dac? And how much would you need to spend to get a worthwhile improvement?

Over about 12 months I went through several levels of RPi based streamers and auditioned a fair number of DACs from approx £1k (Qutest) to over £6k (Aqua La Scala mkII).

I ended up with a Digione Sig with Shanti PS running Volumio, and a new linear supply (Sbooster BOTW) for my existing, comparatively cheap DAC (SPS DAC3). This sounded best to me, I didn’t do it because it was less expensive than alternatives.

Moral of the story is, try the options for yourself - you may be surprised by the results compared to what you read.

advertisement

Back