advertisement

What cable and sockets in your dedicated radial?

4kwp system should power your house + £1000/1500 in income per annum from FIT with battery should give heating & hot water
£10K fancy mains lead or £1 amazon basic sounds the same
Whereabouts do you live?
Is it a passivhaus?
How many people in the house?
I had a FiT but the UK govt ended FiTs many years ago - so these are no longer available.
Does PV now make sense in the far North of England with projected energy and general price inflation?

I use all stock Naim cables apart from a HiLine, a CHC Powerblack and a Graham's Hydra.

I did have an energy storage device called a Solar Boost+ box that used excess leccy to heat water via an element in my tank.

Last edited:
Whereabouts do you live?
PV works in space , in the artic & also works in Sunny Scotland
Is it a passivhaus?
40years old
How many people in the house?
I had a FiT but the UK govt ended FiTs many years ago - so these are no longer available.
FIT ended a few years ago
Does PV now make sense in the far North of England with projected energy and general price inflation?
PV made sense 10/20 years ago
I use all stock Naim cables apart from a HiLine, a CHC Powerblack and a Graham's Hydra.
micro PV systems cost £300 , cable is cable

Brilliant!
This thread has proved to me what idiots we have in the community.
I’m off to Brian cox’s house to enlighten him on particle physics.

This has to prove sarcasm is the lowest form of wit depending on whose arse you are licking? What a welcoming thought for a Forum, if your not in the Clique, your an idiot.
Possibly the lack of a 'Capital' at his surname suggests what you would contribute to his Knowledge?

[QUOTE="Si74, post: 4738746,
Possibly the lack of a 'Capital' at his surname suggests what you would contribute to his Knowledge?[/QUOTE]
Exactly, yet others here who have a layman’s knowledge at best about electrical circuits deem professionals surplus to requirements & are labelled as box swappers.

Possibly the lack of a 'Capital' at his surname suggests what you would contribute to his Knowledge?

But what about a capital Forum and Clique (t'aint proper, is it?) in days of yore; your and you're? People/glass houses etc??? :D Just kidding but it always amazes me how people confuse these simple linguistic things.

But what about a capital Forum and Clique (t'aint proper, is it?) in days of yore; your and you're? People/glass houses etc??? :D Just kidding but it always amazes me how people confuse these simple linguistic things.
I don’t think we really bother being that correct on a forum Mike.
It’s not like we are drafting an email for the CEO.
Anyway apologies Si if I have offended you.
As posted earlier by many just make sure your installation is safe and conforms.
What you are doing is overkill to many of us but it’s your choice.
I just hope other members that stumble into this thread can read between the lines & make a balanced decision on what may be needed for a dedicated radial or ring for there beloved hifi.

I don’t think we really bother being that correct on a forum Mike.

I do, if only to stop the age-related rot in my linguistic and typographical skills. I've given up on the latter, I think, as I never really got over the demise of the typewriter where only one key printed. :)

I just hope other members that stumble into this thread can read between the lines & make a balanced decision on what may be needed for a dedicated radial or ring for there beloved hifi.

I know this is simplistic, Curtis, but on the one hand is the idea and design of a dedicated radial system (don't believe in rings for this purpose). On the other is the installation, which must be advised and connected/signed off by a sparks. One can beneficially have ideas derived from reading/experiencing others' installations but this doesn't involve any danger. I find it hard to believe that anyone on this (or any similar) forum would try to have a go themselves, involving an illegal and potential hazard. The suitably qualified sparks is the end product, but not necessarily part of the designing/routing process (though if he/she is an audio enthusiast that'd be a bonus, I s'pose). :)

Maybe this situation was more likely 20 odd years ago but with much stricter regulation, much more difficult and certainly inadvisable.

Mike, plenty of bodge jobs are still being done in domestic properties. Anyone can buy the parts and if no inspection is carried out who knows it’s been done? One thing I do know is that a lot of homeowners are tight as ducks arses and won’t pay for a proper spark to do the work when a bodger will do it for a lot less.

I just spoke to an NICEIC electrician who has experience of installing audio circuits in homes and in an audio parts supplier's showroom.

I asked him to install 6 radials to (probably) 5 single and 1 double unswitched sockets in the front right corner of my listening wall.

He unscrewed the faceplate of my house mains ring CU and we saw the two 25mm grey cables that come from the meter.

We did not decide yet whether the sockets will be flush-mounted or surface-mounted - TBC.

I asked him to install one RCBO per radial (instead of RCD and MCB).

He will install a dedicated hifi CU near the existing CU under the stairs, and send the six cables through that wall into the listening room, and along the right side wall to the sockets in trunking.

Would it be normal to run all 6 cables lying on top of one another in, say, 3mm plastic trunking?

Or to get some trunking that can separate the cables in individual conduits?

(I did not get into this detail with him yet).

If anyone does decide to have a dedicated circuit installed for their hifi please be aware that there is no need whatsoever for anything larger than 2.5mm T&E.
My hifi uses less than 900 watts @ full power.
That’s less than 4 amps in total.

It totally depends on the equipment being used in the system. 2.5mm T&E would certainly not be enough if you were using for example the Dan D'Agostino's Relentless amplifiers, or the Cessaro Beethoven Speakers as the powered bass horns require over 8 Kwatts of power. We could only use half of them at the Munich Show as that was all the room fuse would take before tripping out.
I built a dedicated power system for my room when we extended our house 22 years ago. It made a considerable difference.

It totally depends on the equipment being used in the system. 2.5mm T&E would certainly not be enough if you were using for example the Dan D'Agostino's Relentless amplifiers, or the Cessaro Beethoven Speakers as the powered bass horns require over 8 Kwatts of power. We could only use half of them at the Munich Show as that was all the room fuse would take before tripping out.
I built a dedicated power system for my room when we extended our house 22 years ago. It made a considerable difference.

Not 8kW at 240v ?

Hi Graham

I have still not managed to find your description of what circuits you installed.

If you are able to post a link to your post on this that would be useful.

I just spoke to an NICEIC electrician who has experience of installing audio circuits in homes and in an audio parts supplier's showroom.

I asked him to install 6 radials to (probably) 5 single and 1 double unswitched sockets in the front right corner of my listening wall.

He unscrewed the faceplate of my house mains ring CU and we saw the two 25mm grey cables that come from the meter.

We did not decide yet whether the sockets will be flush-mounted or surface-mounted - TBC.

I asked him to install one RCBO per radial (instead of RCD and MCB).

He will install a dedicated hifi CU near the existing CU under the stairs, and send the six cables through that wall into the listening room, and along the right side wall to the sockets in trunking.

Would it be normal to run all 6 cables lying on top of one another in, say, 3mm plastic trunking?

Or to get some trunking that can separate the cables in individual conduits?

(I did not get into this detail with him yet).

Who are you asking Jimdog, the box swapping son of a bitch or the other clique members ? Or maybe everyone else who can just guess ?

Hi Graham
If you are able to post a link to your post on this that would be useful.

G-T-Audios-Mains-Wiring-diagram-2.jpg

4kwp system should power your house + £1000/1500 in income per annum from FIT with battery should give heating & hot water

Only somebody who got in at the start could reasonably hope to be getting those levels of FIT payments and most certainly not at the end.

A 4kW system up here in Scotland with around 900solar hours annually will give maybe 3.1MWhr's - my average from over 12yrs. Aided by a battery storage system some properties might just manage to survive late spring/ early Autumn but a great many would not even with off peak battery charging. Come winter time and off peak charging I don't think too many properties would stand a cat in hell's chance of coping.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back