advertisement

Turntable Wall Shelf Recommendations that do not cost the Earth

Just ordered one in white :)

Glad you got sorted Phil.

Thanks, Colin. Yes, it looks more substantial that the various Targets (which also did a double shelf version) but, like these, uses 6 wall fixings and it's this which casts doubt in my mind. Another thing, of course, is that the Dais would need to be assembled on the shelf as it's far too heavy to lift. Okay, take the platters off but putting this back on at a height would frighten me, though if you're a younger body-builder type it'd be a different matter. :)

Yes Mike, it frightens me too, I'm of a certain age! Next time I think I will get my son to do it. It's holding your arms out with that weight while on the second rung of a step ladder. I've only done it twice, next time it will be a job for the 'first born'.

Regarding the weight of the turntable, I used one of the shelves for many years with a 28kg valve amp, so felt confident.

I see you have already dealt. I hope it went well.

Others may be interested by the thread on this topic on the Naim site. Many good wall shelves are second-hand only. Others are sound but improvable or optimised for non-suspended turntables (e.g. Riga and Clearaudio, not Linn), or both.

Despite Linn's 'anything light and rigid' advice, mine is on a Target stand - but prolonged experimentation means it now has a sandwich involving a lump pf granite, HRS rubbery feet and a sheet of glass between it and my LP12. Others use clever isolation platforms or chunks of wood. I 'd encourage people to try a few experiments if they start wondering about support options, and then stop experimenting when satisfies or bored.

What do others here use?

One of the best looking wall mounted turntable supports in my opinion is made by Stands Unique, I own two, one of which is illuminated. Unfortunately they are no longer made so you will have to find one second hand - Good luck in your search.
I was going to shout out stands unique great shout. Interested in how and where yours is illuminated?

Glad you got sorted Phil.

Yes Mike, it frightens me too, I'm of a certain age! Next time I think I will get my son to do it. It's holding your arms out with that weight while on the second rung of a step ladder. I've only done it twice, next time it will be a job for the 'first born'.

Regarding the weight of the turntable, I used one of the shelves for many years with a 28kg valve amp, so felt confident.

Apart from the weight you also have to drop the spindle into the bearing square. I’ve the original Spacedeck and often wondered how those with the deeper, heavier versions managed.

Hi Seacow, there is a rather out of date light fitting attached to the back of the decorative piece of wood; the weird thing is there is a cable from the light fitting with a two pin plug for the power but an additional single wire with a bare end that depending how long you hold the bare end the light gets brighter then dimmer. I'll drop you a PM with a photo - Ward.

I was going to shout out stands unique great shout. Interested in how and where yours is illuminated?

We have had.many exchanges on the Naim forum on this topic.

the conclusions seem to be-
1. Targett, Rega and Pro-ject are hard to beat.
2. For non-suspended decks, slightly less lightweight options, sometimes with extra platforms or feet, sometimes help modestly.
4. For suspended decks, it’s more work to improve on the lightest stand you can find, but modest improvements in SQ can be found.

Thus, the best-sounding support I tried for my LP12 involves a Targett shelf plus a lump of granite plus HRS rubbery feet plus a shelf of laminated glass. Second best was the naked Targett table with its MDF board, and the difference was worthwhile rather than dramatic.

is that useful or have you already bought?

Hi Good PF Folk,

I currently have a wall mounted Rega on a dedicated Rega wall bracket which has served me very well. However, I fancy a change in turntable with a wall mounted set up still suiting my living space best.

So, I'm looking for a sturdy good looking turntable wall shelf that ideally does not cost silly audiophile prices.

Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks.

I gather you have sorted your question but just in case. I also have the Rega wall bracket so when I changed from Rega Planar to Technics deck I simply made a thick wooden shelf with 3 holes to match the Rega mounting studs and sit the shelf on the bracket. Doesn't move, has a solid base and doesn't transmit any vibration. Job done for a few quid.​

If you don't mind second-hand and a tiny bit of DIY, eBay sometimes has TP Vulkan or Audiotech shelves, even Mana - all are widely believed to be better than the standard choices above for most turntables, esp, suspended designs.

I’d second/third or whatever the recommendation for the standard Target one from the ‘80s like this:

6775945697_3acd258794_c.jpg

I like it as it has six mounting holes rather than the usual four, which based on much experience moving from flat to flat etc over the years when drilling into a wall at least one hole inevitably hits some loose crap that won’t take a rawlplug or whatever. Six gives some redundancy. The mounting is obviously really critical, I’ve never had a deck fall due to a shelf-failure, but I certainly know people who had. I’ve seen both a LP12 and a Xerxes after they hit the floor! Not pretty.

I don’t use mine now, but it is one of those things I’d never sell as I know there will come a day I need it again!

PS I’ve lost the dead fly tuning tip.

One of the best looking wall mounted turntable supports in my opinion is made by Stands Unique, I own two, one of which is illuminated. Unfortunately they are no longer made so you will have to find one second hand - Good luck in your search.

My LP12 has sat on a Stands Unique wall shelf for many years,built like a tank...cost a few bawbees tae!

I tried to improve the old Targett wall shelf (with its old MDF board) that holds my LP12. Everything we tried made it worse except for one combo. The result was Targett wall shelf supporting a piece of granite supporting 4 rubbery feet from HRS supporting a piece of lass supporting the LP12. This is not elegant. Other out-of-production shelves were marginally better than my Targett (e.g. Vulkan). I am confident that isn't true versus this stack, but...

The SRM isolation platform improved LP12s (with and without Tramp2) on the Quadraspire wall shelf in a shop and on my Targett stand at home. Better sound, lighter and simpler - what's not to like? Unlike most,it seems designed to work with suspended decks, whereas others may be better with (say) Regas.

The bottom of my ancient LP12 is naked, and it is too old (i.e. small) and warped to take a proper base readily. I may get a newer s/h plinth and try the SRM baseboard against naked and Tramp2. More news to follow.

advertisement

Back