advertisement

Thank god i have gone SS

an alternative way to stay cool is to rinse your shirt under a tap, wring it, and wear it. Latent heat of evaporation will do the rest, and once it's dry, do it again. Rinse, wring, wear, repeat.

oh, but the creases !

I’m deliberately not using the upstairs system much as it is in the room that gets the hottest and the little Leak TL12+ generate a lot of heat. I don’t think they are prone to overheating in hot climates the way the Stereo 20 can be (there are many stories of transformers leaking wax in Australia, South Africa etc), but even so I’m not running them for more than the occasional CD. Annoyingly my spare amp is a Pass Aleph 3, which is pretty much an electric radiator with an audio function.

(...) The summer of '76 was really hot. I thought last night's temperature was a little cold for the time of year, but energy bills must be justified.

Tell me about it! We were sharing a 75cm bed in a very hot student residence in Paris :)
If we wanted anything like a yogurt, we had to buy it within less than 30 minutes of eating it.

In Italy here.. Graaf amps into the boxes and brilliantly superseded by an A&R A60. I enjoy the sound, my lady loves the tidier room and heat generation and bills feel more under control..

my homebrew headphone amp has seen a lot of use.

It's compact, solid state, ...also Class A & presently c.24W @ idle of overkill on its own...

Yup; Can't think I'll be firing up my 509s and ESL 2905s until things cool down but I'm quite happy listening through my Elears & HD650s via the Myryad class A amp (0.5 watt on idle). The EAR valved 912 pre. will be needed for vinyl but that doesn't get hot. Radio, TV and pre out are always connected to the h/ph amp anyway (3 inputs; useful !).

The daytime temperature is 45°c with peaks of 50°c in Qatar (home) over the next few days.

I 'prime' the music room with cold air for a few hours/overnight first, which helps take some heat out of the walls and the floor. If lucky, I then have a window of about one record before the a/c needs to go on again.

Class A or valves would be inviting trouble .

Hopefully your SS can cope with the heat, otherwise it may blow the output transistors and take the speakers with them. Use a small tube amplifier instead, first watt is important and no need for more than 5 watts (when having efficient speakers).

Went from Anatgarde Unos which ran to v loud levels off a 1 watt micro zotl better with the Viva 845 though. No have V ineficient speakers 350 watt amp into 8 ohms but way way coller than the Viva

If you can't afford to run air conditioning or you like to imagine you can control the Earth's enthalpy then an alternative way to stay cool is to rinse your shirt under a tap, wring it, and wear it. Latent heat of evaporation will do the rest, and once it's dry, do it again. Rinse, wring, wear, repeat. Unlike air-conditioning, evaporation has a noise floor below 100dB.

The summer of '76 was really hot. I thought last night's temperature was a little cold for the time of year, but energy bills must be justified.
I do the same thing with my Tilly hat, soak it thoroughly, squeeze the excess out, and wear it - fabulous.

The daytime temperature is 45°c with peaks of 50°c in Qatar (home) over the next few days.

Yet according to UK press we're going to be dying in 'thousands' and the TV weather maps have gone blood red. Valve-amp-cum-air-conditioner criminals should be ashamed! ;-) It's a wonder anybody dares to brave Ibiza's death camps. Meanwhile I'm young enough to remember 1970s TV climate science evangelists promising a catastrophic ice age any day now. I remember one show where a bloke opens his front door in horror to the glare of a frozen tundra which has arrived overnight - still frightening when you consider the reliability of experts in recent years.

Enjoy your valves!

In my experience, hot rooms are more likely to be bad for loudspeakers than amplifiers. Glue and foam don't like 40C

Yet according to UK press we're going to be dying in 'thousands' and the TV weather maps have gone blood red. Valve-amp-cum-air-conditioner criminals should be ashamed! ;-) It's a wonder anybody dares to brave Ibiza's death camps. Meanwhile I'm young enough to remember 1970s TV climate science evangelists promising a catastrophic ice age any day now. I remember one show where a bloke opens his front door in horror to the glare of a frozen tundra which has arrived overnight - still frightening when you consider the reliability of experts in recent years.

Enjoy your valves!

To be fair to those climate scientists, the general trend was towards a cooler climate. One thing they were correct about was that climate change is rapid, around 100 years, from one state to another. The natural records that were being used at the time (tree rings, varves and ice cores) all seemed to confirm that climate change is much quicker than most thought possible. Even Fred Hoyle was predicting an imminent Ice Age due to an atmospheric phenomenon which created ice crystals in the atmosphere which in turn reflected heat away from the planet.

Enjoy your valves!

Having also lived through the 1970s that is a long way from my recall. I fear you’re confusing real life with The Day After Tomorrow.

To be fair to those climate scientists, the general trend was towards a cooler climate. One thing they were correct about was that climate change is rapid, around 100 years, from one state to another. The natural records that were being used at the time (tree rings, varves and ice cores) all seemed to confirm that climate change is much quicker than most thought possible. Even Fred Hoyle was predicting an imminent Ice Age due to an atmospheric phenomenon which created ice crystals in the atmosphere which in turn reflected heat away from the planet.
One of those who gave most credence to the New Ice Age theory was William Rees-Mogg, father of Jacob, and then-editor of The Times.

He devoted several doom-laden leading articles to the subject, the last of which was published just ahead of the record hot summer of 1976.

And wasn’t Fred Hoyle the chap who denied that the universe was expanding despite overwhelming evidence that it was?

One of those who gave most credence to the New Ice Age theory was William Rees-Mogg, father of Jacob, and then-editor of The Times.

He devoted several doom-laden leading articles to the subject, the last of which was published just ahead of the record hot summer of 1976.

And wasn’t Fred Hoyle the chap who denied that the universe was expanding despite overwhelming evidence that it was?
I don't think so. The steady state theory Hoyle, Gold and Bondi) was good for its time (1948) and also explained the expansion that was observed but it wasn't until the cosmic background radiation was discovered in 1965 That the Big Bang theory was accepted and did away with the steady state.

DV

Because they’ll stop working
They will indeed. I have a friend who has just taken out his gas boiler and installed an ASH. He had to do extensive alterations to the house to accommodate some very large radiators (they don’t tell you this, but your existing radiators will not be sufficient). Here’s the thing, the bloody place is freezing in the winter and the pump turns itself off past 25C. They have to use an immersion in this heat, with electric heaters in winter. The future!

Just put my very hot days amp in. It's only a Teac AL-700p but not too bad. Certainly heat wise much better than my normal push 300b.

I like that my Freya+ pre has a jfet buffer mode that still sounds great. No need to switch stuff up just press a button and the tubes go to sleep.

advertisement

Back