advertisement

War Crimes.

I'm a former RM and worked with both SB and 22 - in a communication role. I don't recognise the assertion mentioned above - they're highly trained, extremely focused and very motivated - psychos are the one's propping up bars in Hereford telling anyone that will listen that they were one of those on the Balcony. Joking apart, psychos wouldn't get through the training.

I'm a former RM and worked with both SB and 22 - in a communication role. I don't recognise the assertion mentioned above - they're highly trained, extremely focused and very motivated - psychos are the one's propping up bars in Hereford telling anyone that will listen that they were one of those on the Balcony. Joking apart, psychos wouldn't get through the training.
I think lots of people go through the training and then something happens to them once they are in a war with very large power over detainees/adversaries.

Plenty of this is plainly observable in the Russian invasion of Ukraine, likely sanctioned by leadership as terror against Ukrainian population.

Here is a similar example from our side, complete with a Trump pardon, which in itself is also a form of official approval:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/dec/27/eddie-gallagher-trump-navy-seal-iraq

There are many others. "Valley of Ellah" is a cinematic look at the aftermath.

My cousin who was a marine commando in their intelligence unit described the SAS as ‘complete psychos’
I quite often describe Roy Keane as a complete psycho, it’s just a figure of speech isn’t it?
( well, maybe not in his case)
Having said that I think you can expect to find some pretty extreme characters in such outfits. I mean they wouldn’t get very far with a ‘come on, play the game Osama, put your gun down there’s a good chap’ line.
Obviously though killing detainees is illegal and not to be tolerated whatever the stresses encountered in operations.

I doubt anyone in any of the Forces has any psychiatric assessment ever. It is certainly true that extreme stress can make people do things they would normally not do.

Any police firearms discharges (other than training) are automatically referred to the IOPC. Whilst I fully acknowledge that May/will not be enough, I have been subject of at least 2 IOPC investigations. They are not easy dodges.
But shooters are allowed to get together to agree with each other what happened before the IOPC get involved.

To be fair I think he meant that some of the personalities were extreme rather than having MH issues, it was a long time ago. Mind you I know he was involved in covert activities in Northern Ireland which he wouldn’t really talk about but for a period of time he had long hair whilst serving there and he was always an excellent mimic.

morning @Rodrat I guessed it was the wrong turn of phrase - when was your cousin serving, I was 87-97 - our paths probably crossed. Upthread there's a mention of Russian Military, there's no way you could compare the their mil to the UK forces - they're mostly conscripts from the deepest parts of Russia, extremely poor - why they stealing as much as they carry and very ill-disciplined mostly down to drinking and poor leadership - how many Generals have been killed over the last several months. Stress can make and does make individuals act in certain ways, that's why they train, train and train - to the point where it becomes second nature - I certainly never worked with anyone slight psychotic in my ten-years, there were some odd ones but by and large, we were all good guys.

I think it was around 79 to 84. Haven't spoken to him for a while. He had a few interesting views on the Falklands which were contrary to the propaganda at the time but didn’t talk much about Northern Ireland.

But shooters are allowed to get together to agree with each other what happened before the IOPC get involved.

It doesn't quite work like that. Plenty more gogs in the wheel than that. PIMS (not the drink) for a start...

But I'm uncertain any thing I offer by way of explanation will assuage any doubts, so I'll move on.

For those that are interested, there's quite a good book about the initial invasion and how 60 odd Marines defended the Islands for several days - at the time, the line was that they surrendered (that infamous Sun headline and picture) - which they did, what's not too well known is the massive fight they took to the Argentinians - it's a fantastic read and sheds some light in to what was going on at the time, the UK were very slowly letting the Islands go and it was one massive political balls up, one that ended up saving Thatcher's job...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35792710-the-first-casualty

Will give it some thought, some of it would be upsetting to the families who lost people who maybe on here. What it did say is that if we were fighting well trained solders who were well equipped, we would have had our arses kicked.

advertisement

Back