advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

As 40 deg C is quite common on the Continent but apparently a State of Emergency here in England, it may be a case of fools rushing in where Angles fear to tread.

Everything's set up differently where heat is a regular feature from housing to working and social hours, it's impossible to make such comparisons sensibly. Parisians often have second homes in the country were they'll evacuate in July and August, for example. I wonder just how many employers will allow time off for a siesta or even longer lunch breaks? How many will close because they don't have a/c?

All sorts of panic (in the media) for something that might not even come to pass. In any event the more important figure is humidity. High heat only becomes truly unbearable/deadly when combined with high levels of humidity. Oddly I don't see any moention of this in any of the sensational headlines.

Everything's set up differently where heat is a regular feature from housing to working and social hours, it's impossible to make such comparisons sensibly. I wonder just how many employers will allow time off for a siesta or even longer lunch breaks? How many will close because they don't have a/c?
Joke...
Never mind.
In terms of flexible employment, you'd be surprised. I've worked for places tat shifted the normal working day to a 6am start for those who wanted, and when the World Cup was on with England games in the middle of a workday we laid on a TV and gave people 2 hours off without pay to watch it if they wanted. It worked, it meant nobody puled a sickie. Faced with the reality of people blobbing if you don't do something about it, you'd be surprised.

I wish it would bloody hurry up. I’m sitting outside shivering in a stiff breeze under leaden skies with an iced coffee (I thought it was going to be warm...)

The bigger issue is the long term trend. Parts of the world becoming uninhabitable. Mass waves of immigrants attempting to move to more temperate countries.

Heatwave: National emergency declared after first red extreme heat warning

A red extreme heat warning has been issued for the first time by the Met Office for parts of England next week, meaning a risk to life is likely as temperatures could hit 40C (104F).

• Population-wide adverse health effects, not limited to those most vulnerable to extreme heat, leading to serious illness or danger to life

_125922451_metofficemap2.png

Heatwave: National emergency declared after first red extreme heat warning - BBC News

104°F = 40°C

Intriguing - I'm 65 and we were doing SI units when I was at school. Kate, 14yrs younger than me, goes on about doing feet and inches whilst at school. I don't understand.

Maybe we should all use Kelvin??? In which case it will be 313.15K

Regards

Richard

At sixty I seem to quote high temps in degrees F and low figures in degrees C!

I met my neighbours son yesterday who had popped out to visit family and to collect a nice shiny new air con unit. Typical two part unit I used to see in the States ( square box outside on the ground and rectangular assembly for an indoor wall)
He does maintenance for shops etc so is fully certified/qualified to fit it. The reason he bought it he has recently moved into a new house and one side gets very hot and we’ve not reached peak temps this year yet. Not sure how big the new house is but I guess servicing them commercially he’ll have a good take on the spec he requires.
I’ll no doubt catch him again in a few weeks for an update!

I have to do a translate for Mrs H who's never managed to get her head around Celsius.

My 'back of an envelope' guide: Below 15 Celsius, a bit nippy. 20 degrees Celsius, pleasantly warm. 25 Celsius, getting quite hot. 30 Celsius, now actually hot. 35 Celsius, too hot. 40 Celsius, far too hot.

Look* at the idiot Express https://www.express.co.uk/

Always falling over themselves with big splashes over any old fake weathergeddon.

Now we have a real one and barely a mention.

Probably the dangers of 40c is too woke for their idiot readership.

* Not an instruction. You don't actually have to look at it if you don't want.

I wish it would bloody hurry up. I’m sitting outside shivering in a stiff breeze under leaden skies with an iced coffee (I thought it was going to be warm...)

Marchbanks, I suspect like me it takes some time for the heat to penetrate the thatch we have on our faces. Natural insulation I call it:D

advertisement

Back