advertisement

Ads free Hi-Fi

Mine goes through a 303 and Spendor S3/5R speakers. Makes for a nice clean articulate TV sound. I can’t deal with built-in TV speakers at all. Just dreadful IME unless they’ve improved markedly in recent years. I have to admit I’ve never even heard the speakers in my current 50” Sony, I just got it out of the box and plugged it straight into the passive pre ahead of the 303! I don’t care what’s in there, it certainly isn’t going to worry a pair of S3/5s!
That's the sort of setup I'd expect from people on here.

I'm a little surprised to see so much talk about the TV sound quality. Don't you guys have real speakers to send the audio to?
In one room yes but the TV is in an alcove so not between the speakers, one of which I pull out in front of the TV for music.

I don’t use normal TV so don’t have the Guide but there is a Quick Access option to program the number buttons on LG Remotes.

Hold down the number zero button 0 for a bit, the Quick Access window should pop up, choose a free slot normally you have 2 to 8 available to Add. Clicking brings up a list - TV Guide should be in amongst them - it’s handy to program the numbers to go straight to things like Disney, All4 and iPlayer etc.

Once programmed you hold the number key down for a second or so and then go straight into the App, saves a lot of clicky click.
You can get the guide up by holding the list button down, but it's hardly intuitive.

You can get the guide up by holding the list button down, but it's hardly intuitive.
Well that’s a direct button for the TV Guide they just called it a daft name “List” and doing a Quick Access number button for the Live TV App would give an OK option/workaround.

Not embraced Voice Control?

That's the sort of setup I'd expect from people on here.

The most extreme TV rig I’ve ever had was when I was a contractor in That London. The only TV I had was a little 3” handheld Casio LCD thing, the sound was unlistenable crap, I couldn’t work out what was being said, so I made up a very long lead and ran it through my 32.5, Hicap, 135s and Isobariks! I defy anyone to beat that!

Well that’s a direct button for the TV Guide they just called it a daft name “List” and doing a Quick Access number button for the Live TV App would give an OK option/workaround.

Not embraced Voice Control?
No it's not you have to hold it down for a second or so and it does not say guide on it so unless you are in the know you will not find it. These things should be easy, the family use the TV and should be able to work it out without a crib sheet. Voice control well no, it is just to clunky.

The other think I don't really like is the pointer and how it interacts with the remote buttons. Pointer is ok if what you want to click is visible. But if you need to scroll down it's messy

Sounds like you’d have been better off with 2 Philips.

Personally the OLED LGs are best option for us and have been for last 3 years, no issues with the control systems. Panny has arguably best picture with UHD 4K disks but they didn’t have the big panel size I wanted.

Oh, man, you ain't seen nothin yet........

BMW and some other car manufacturers now want a monthly subscription for some basic features in their cars (heated seats to work, etc). Pretty soon you'll have to pay to get the full frequency response from you hi-fi system, base case being 64kbps MP3 sound quality from a $10,000 system!
:eek:

I still have a 65 inch Panasonic plasma (HD not 4kUHD) which does not have an "OS", it's just a TV. It also has far better colour fidelity than any OLED, LED TV made since the end of plasma production and HD is fine at normal viewing distances. It's 10 years old and I'm keeping it till it dies!

I still have a 65 inch Panasonic plasma (HD not 4kUHD) which does not have an "OS", it's just a TV. It also has far better colour fidelity than any OLED, LED TV made since the end of plasma production and HD is fine at normal viewing distances. It's 10 years old and I'm keeping it till it dies!

You are missing out on the HDR modes that modern TV's have. This and 4k (on big sets) is a game changer.

Bought my first ‘big’ TV from Richer Sounds earlier in the year. I’m not interested enough to know the model name. The picture is stunning. But the sound is just terrible, tinny and thin. As luck would have it, the speakers sit below and either side of it, so I just need to buy a 3m optical to put it through the stereo. Note to self, must do that before the proms.

Do buyers just accept they’ll need a sound bar now? Image quality has leapt forward, but sound quality seems to head in the opposite direction.

Bought my first ‘big’ TV from Richer Sounds earlier in the year. I’m not interested enough to know the model name. The picture is stunning. But the sound is just terrible, tinny and thin. As luck would have it, the speakers sit below and either side of it, so I just need to buy a 3m optical to put it through the stereo. Note to self, must do that before the proms.

Do buyers just accept they’ll need a sound bar now? Image quality has leapt forward, but sound quality seems to head in the opposite direction.
Beyond normal/casual users yeah I think most folk accept a big TV is gonna have at best average sound, loads of decent soundbars and 2.1 sub sat options around nowadays though so no need to put up with it, quite a lot of TVs come with a free or discounted speaker system option.

I've routed sound through the HiFi since getting my own space in the mid 80’s, initially using a Nicam VCR as the tuner/tape deck to amp.

if you buy a low end TV the sound can be poor, that's for sure. I got rid of my sound bar when I got the LG CX as the sound was acceptable, less bass but a bit clearer. My other TV, Philips 806, has a 2.1 system built in. The speakers are small but do a great job, even producing good bass.

Image quality has leapt forward, but sound quality seems to head in the opposite direction.
Hard to fit much of a speaker in those super-slim cases people want. Don't get me wrong, I like a thin design, but it will inevitably come with compromises. Thankfully, sound is easily handled separately, so I don't consider that much of an issue.

You could always get a sky glass, it looks frigging ugly but the sound is better, its simple physics innit! I plumb mine through my hifi.

advertisement

Back