advertisement

The best sounding piece of kit you've ever owned (or enjoyed the most)

I fondly remember a John Shearne Integrated I had in the late 90's. Valve like sound from Solid State. Gorgeous 'blue marble' front panel. I sold it because I felt it slightly 'painted in too broad a brush stroke'. I probably should have kept it.

Lately I really enjoy an Audiolab 6000A. I had an 8000S when it first came out some 25 or so years ago and I really disliked it. Almost immediately was sold. I stayed away from the brand until not so long ago when I happened to enter a RS on impulse and just thought I'd try one to fill a little time (I already had a Hegel H95 and Arcam SA20 amplifier for my two little systems). Completely different amplifier to my previous Audiolab.

Very musical and I really don't feel I'm missing much when I swap it in place of the other two. What I don't understand is some calling it 'clinical'. Smooth, slightly rolled off on top, quite full mids and great bass. Nothing harsh or clinical about it.

Much better tonal balance and, unexpectedly, more palpable bass. There used to be some stridency in the upper mid / lower treble that I had to use the attenuators to dial down. Not only are the attenuators now out of circuit, they are entirely unnecessary. The end result is a much more cohesive, involving and natural sounding loudspeaker.
What you described here is exactly why I stayed away from these speakers.............interesting...........

Phew...I've had (way) more HiFi pieces of kit than would've been wise (financially) during the last 35 years, but... sonically the most memorable ones must be:

Naim Nait 2 (had 4 of 'em)
Sonneteer Campion (had 2)

The best sounding piece of kit I've ever heard that wasn't mine, was an Audio-Note amp + speakers, fed by a (if memory serves me well) cheap old Philips CD-player, which served the signal into an Audio-Note DAC. They weren't the top-of-the-line AN components and the whole system was cramped into a very small room, but OMG... goosebumps garanteed! :)

My current system is the best I’ve ever had though for me there are two standout components. First up is my Aqua La Scala DAC which significantly improved my digital experience to be as enjoyable as listening to my Garrard 401. The icing on the cake though is my wonderful wee Boenicke W5se’s. Anything played through them sounds marvellous and I’m listening more than I have for years. They’re playing a streaming selection from my server courtesy of Roon right now at very low level and it’s all still very natural, involving, and distracting! That said my system could have been a bit better if my Crayon CFA1.2 amplifier had had the cojones to drive the Boenickes! It was the best amplifier I have ever had though my Marantz KI-Ruby is no slouch.

Well, after thinking about it, from around 1980 to today, Naim NAP 110...............with its pros and cons !
If I still was a vinyl fan, Linn LP12 would add to the list.

I've just moved from 3x linn lk100 amps to a linn majik 6100. Finding it amazing, been missing so much all these years.
Then swapped the marantz cd6006 for the UK version. A revelation.
I really am settled wih my system now, honest. Dont think I can better it now, without spending an awul lot of money.

Has to be a, new to the fold, Radford STA15.

I have very fond memories of a Nait 1 into EPOS14s.

In order

scm100a
Mf A1000
My homebrew speakers based on ATC mid, scanspeak tweeter, seas excelw22 twin bass(why did I sell!)
Marantz cd7
Marantz cd12
Tannoy Kensington se
Tannoy Stirling se
Stirling TW
the latter p for p very good vfm in s/h market

Mordaunt Short Carnivals, Nait 1, Castle Harlech 2s, Ruark Crusader 2s, original Arcam Alpha cd, Systemdek 3/Nima/DL160, Exposure 17/18, Pioneer A27, Sony X7, Tannoy Cheviots, WT Amadeus/XX2

Hard one to comment on as you tend to think your new or current set up is best normally.

Best kit I ever heard was as a kid so may be that nostalgia is a key part. My older brother grew his kit to end up with a naim set up think it was a 52 might have been an 82 a brace of 135s and thinking back must have been supercap as was only one shoe box. Active SBLs and they best sounding source he went through various CD players but his pink triangle turntable sounded the best. That system sticks in my mind as very special and I grew up with good linn set ups with my dad but something about the energy and ability to suck you into the music that worked with that system. Granted the room would have been a factor it was a pretty small bedroom with carpet over floorboards but brick walls.

Stuff I have dabbled in I must admit I let a set of early Naim speakers go think they were nam402. I didn't think they had the deep bass of my other speakers and the other half thought they looked naff. But still not found anything that on the end of a Nait XS at least delivers such strong but detailed mid range listening to Fleetwood Mac Rumours for example the complexity of the drums and subtle but varied bass was a revelation.

Speakers I have had since go deeper but not quite got that quality.

Apart from that might just be because its current but the Nait XS I have just now was meant to be short term but I am enjoying it so not went back to pre and power set ups just yet. For an integrated and am very impressed given what I paid for it.

My system which includes Jadis and Einstein amps. Tw Raven AC turntable. Whest mk4 phono stage etc plays beautiful music but when I insert Synergistic fuses the sound is absolutely breath taking. I know that knowall and his mates think not, but in my home they are equivalent to a substantial equipment upgrade.

advertisement

Back