advertisement

Richer Sounds deal on Samsung Ultra Short Throw Projector

Happy birthday Neil!

I like the way the 'artwork' at the Richer Sounds link shows an advertising-class couple enjoying the projector's subtractive light feature. Does it emit anti-photons? If so that really is a bargain.

409993_4_f99b.jpg

Yep, with that amount of natural daylight that image would be completely washed out and you'd barely see the image! It always makes me laugh how they never show any cables anywhere, like everyone has pristine cable management...

Yep, with that amount of natural daylight that image would be completely washed out and you'd barely see the image! It always makes me laugh how they never show any cables anywhere, like everyone has pristine cable management...

Perhaps the cables are there but the anti-photon feature cancels their visibility.

The projector location to get the correct image size is exactly where the centre speaker normally goes. Unless your centre speaker is in the wall, behind an acoustically transparent screen, it’s difficult to accommodate one of these projectors.

That’s an interesting photo to try to interpret. Why is half the sofa extended into a bed? Why is there a glass of water beside it? Has something been going on? Why are they sitting apart while watching a knight in shining armour make a triumphant entrance? Did it go wrong? Why are both the room and the dish completely empty? Is it a metaphor?

The projector location to get the correct image size is exactly where the centre speaker normally goes. Unless your centre speaker is in the wall, behind an acoustically transparent screen, it’s difficult to accommodate one of these projectors.

In reality I find that height is a function of perception, notwithstanding overhead speakers for the likes of helicopters in film tracks.

I love the idea of them but it falls apart when you have a centre speaker!

I was tempted by this offer for the Samsung, but the peculiarities of my system set-up seems to prohibit an ultra-short-throw projector. The photo below shows the situation with the offending chimney breast and surround to the false fireplace. Tempted to demolish, but too much hassle.

I have been very happy with my professionally calibrated 50" Panasonic plasma TV for many years, but it does seem to have shrunk in relative terms. Having looked into it more, I am now looking at a short-throw Optima projector which would be easier to accommodate, and at a lower cost, with a pull down screen to cover the TV for "movie nights". The TV will remain for daily TV duties, so no need for the expense of projectors intended as TV replacements. Yet to pull the trigger though!

System by Anthony Pugh, on Flickr

And they’ve taken the legs off that IKEA Stockholm unit.

Didn't know these (ust projectors) existed until I read this thread. That, and the keen pricing, was enough to convince me that I NEED one of these. So off I popped to my local Richer Sounds this afternoon to see one in action, and then due to the universally glowing reviews I had read prior, I thoroughly expected to be ordering one.

Not for me though.
This was a reassuringly easy and definite decision for me. In a way an unexpected relief as the TV it would have replaced is not a year old yet and no need to convince my wife of the essentialness of the projector to our lives.

It was setup in the shop on the brightest mode onto an ALR screen, which I am told is optimum.
They were kind enough to stick on some Netflix programs that I am familiar with and even turn the shop lights of. But I never deviated for one second from my initial and immediate conclusion that the quality of the picture was not in the same league as a good TV.

Perhaps, as a complete novice with projectors my expectations were too high. Although in my defence all the reviews stated it to be a a viable TV alternative and very bright.
Not to me it isn't, and I always knock my TV brightness settings right back (15% on my current Sony) valuing realism above over saturated colours.

I'm sure in the right (dark) setting it could be stunning. As usual though I would recommend anyone interested to take the reviews with a large pinch of salt and to go and see one in action, if you possibly can.

Didn't know these (ust projectors) existed until I read this thread. That, and the keen pricing, was enough to convince me that I NEED one of these. So off I popped to my local Richer Sounds this afternoon to see one in action, and then due to the universally glowing reviews I had read prior, I thoroughly expected to be ordering one.

Not for me though.
This was a reassuringly easy and definite decision for me. In a way an unexpected relief as the TV it would have replaced is not a year old yet and no need to convince my wife of the essentialness of the projector to our lives.

It was setup in the shop on the brightest mode onto an ALR screen, which I am told is optimum.
They were kind enough to stick on some Netflix programs that I am familiar with and even turn the shop lights of. But I never deviated for one second from my initial and immediate conclusion that the quality of the picture was not in the same league as a good TV.

Perhaps, as a complete novice with projectors my expectations were too high. Although in my defence all the reviews stated it to be a a viable TV alternative and very bright.
Not to me it isn't, and I always knock my TV brightness settings right back (15% on my current Sony) valuing realism above over saturated colours.

I'm sure in the right (dark) setting it could be stunning. As usual though I would recommend anyone interested to take the reviews with a large pinch of salt and to go and see one in action, if you possibly can.
Is there any way to reduce the image size?

I would recommend anyone interested to take the reviews with a large pinch of salt and to go and see one in action, if you possibly can.

It's tricky though. As a family, we never really watched TV and we held onto a Sony Trinitron CRT for years after everyone else had flat screens. Eventually I just got sick looking at this old fashioned box and bought a flatscreen. At that time there was a plasma TV that wasn't expensive and got great reviews for its picture quality. When I had a look at one in Currys it looked very washed out and dull next to the other TVs but I took a punt and bought it anyway. Once set up at home the picture quality is great. Very natural, no motion blur and just as sharp as the old Sony.

The projector we use for movies is not an expensive one. It was bought for my wife to use in schools so it's designed for education/office use but it's still great for movies. It's in a North facing room so not very bright but even during the day with the curtains open you can watch it. And a brighter projector will be better.

Just saying that a shop dem isn't always a good indication of what something will do when at home.

Is there any way to reduce the image size?
I don't believe so, but didn't ask about this in particular. I noted that it was less than a hands width from the wall and filling a 100 inch screen.
From the spec it has electronic focusing. I assume that this works over the 100-130 inch stated and that outside of these values you likely would be unable to correctly focus the image. Also probably introduce distortion.

I was tempted by this offer for the Samsung, but the peculiarities of my system set-up seems to prohibit an ultra-short-throw projector. The photo below shows the situation with the offending chimney breast and surround to the false fireplace. Tempted to demolish, but too much hassle.

Used a 130inch Floor motorized acoustically transparent screen for a while 12v trigger switches on & off in front of the 3 main channels

Used a 130inch Floor motorized acoustically transparent screen for a while 12v trigger switches on & off in front of the 3 main channels

I’m confused. In that video the image moves up and down with the screen as it’s raised and lowered. So either that’s not a projected image, or there’s a whole load of pretty pointless coordination between the screen and projector to achieve the effect??

I’m confused. In that video the image moves up and down with the screen as it’s raised and lowered. So either that’s not a projected image, or there’s a whole load of pretty pointless coordination between the screen and projector to achieve the effect??

I thought the same thing. I guess I just wasn't sad enough to ask the internet about it? ;0)

Well this is strange ... Samsung plugged in and watched 5 mins of a film on day 1, but now every app I go to (GCN, netflix) gives connection error. Is plugged into router by ethernet, so not a wifi issue.

advertisement

Back